Toy Story Playland (General discussion)

Started by Kristof, August 06, 2008, 01:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "claire2281"
Quote from: "Alan"When I said Toy Story Playland was well themed, I meant, they've executed the idea to a very high standard. Now, you could argue that the idea wasn't such a great one in the first place, because of its simplistic plastic nature. But the way I see it is, they decided to build a land based on Toy Story, and they've done the best job they can.

Absolutely 100% nail on head. The land is extremely Toy Story and completely fits the look of the films. To have do it any differently wouldn't have worked. The army men stuff looks exactly like a giant set of army men toys.

I do wonder if those criticising it so vehemently actually like the franchise at all.

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"Is this VHDQ? ...Very High Disney Quality? If yes... what is low Disney quality?:

You're confusing quality with style here. You don't like the style, fair enough. The quality however is very good.
Sooo... an e-ticket would be a bad thing? This was the only right thing to do?

TimmyTimmyTimmy

"Everything is supposed to look simple and plastic."
It sure does! Thank you Walt Disney:)

pussinboots

Quote from: "Clara2141"However I do take offence to being called "happy clappy" just because I think this land is a welcome addition. I personally think it is far in a way better than "Toon Studio" which has little theming and looks like the rides fell out of the sky and landed there. In fact I think that this lane is more in the Disney way of doing things than any other part of the eyesore that is WDS.

Yes, I agree. It is certainly far better than the pile of randomness that is the "old" Toon Studio. ("Pixar soup" I used to be fond of saying.) I suppose it's the first themed area of the park that makes sense from all angles.

I have to say the Parachute Drop queue is a bit of a throwback to the old Walt Disney Studios, with all that corrugated metal and those familiar industrial light fixtures, but I suppose they have an excuse this time. The themeing is consistent and, as Anthony said, there aren't any loose wires hanging about.

I suppose what it comes down to is that corners may have been cut financially, but none thematically. The Imagineers are finally learning to make the best of the low, low budgets of modern Disney.

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "TimmyTimmyTimmy"Sooo... an e-ticket would be a bad thing? This was the only right thing to do?

An e-ticket would be a great thing. I would love for them to build an e-ticket attraction at the Studios. And from what we're hearing, Ratatouille will be one (in terms of its technology).

To be totally honest, I much prefer the more adult themes and styles of Expedition Everest, the Indiana Jones Adventure and Journey to the Centre of the Earth. I would much rather they'd built one of those rides, than Toy Story Playland. But, they didn't.

DisneyMAD..Woops

Well, to be honest, I can't wait to go to TSPL, it opens while i'm there, the day after my birthday (16th) and I'm going to enjoy looking around and taking pictures to put in my trip report, I agree that everything's suppost to look cheap and plastic, it's a toy world! Toys are cheap and plastic like if you actually WATCH toy story (3rd made me cry :'( ) then it's VERY well themed. I've been waiting for DLRP to make somethign toy story, it's such a big franchise, I'm quite suprised it took them this long :/

Response,,,
August 1997 - Off Site
August 1998 - Cheyenne
May 1999 - Disneyland Hotel
July 2004 - Cheyenne
August 2007 - Off Site
August 2010 - Santa Fe
August 2011 - Santa Fe
September 2015 - Sequoia Lodge Golden Forest

15MagicalYears

Quote from: "DisneyMAD..Woops"I've been waiting for DLRP to make somethign toy story, it's such a big franchise, I'm quite suprised it took them this long :/

There is Buzz Lightyear's laser blast in Discoveryland and Woody's Round-up Village in Frontierland :).

disneylandparisgirl

Woody's round-up village is fairly temporary though and a bit out of the way (also wasn't there last time we went)

I think the pics look quite good, very well themed!

davewasbaloo and TTT we have no problem with you expressing your opinion all we ask is if you could do it without insulting the intelligence of those who like what has been done please!
August 1997 offsite
August 1998 Cheyenne
May 1999 Disneyland hotel
July 2004 Cheyenne
August 2007 offsite
August 2010 Santa Fe
August 2011 Santa Fe
September 2015 Sequoia Lodge

DopeyDad

=D> well said

-breeno-

Quote from: "Anthony"I'd completely forgotten that even existed, but I've got a whole box somewhere. Even a wooden Eurostar, long before I was catching the train to DLP! This is at least fulfilling one Walt quote - that one about taking you back to your childhood and "a clean, unspoilt place deep down inside all of us"... can't remember it exactly. It's fun for kids and nostalgic for adults, anyway.
Completely agree.  Every time I see new photos of the area I think to myself "I used that have that!" or "Hey, I had one of those!"  It brings back a huge amount of nostalgia for me anyway, even the RC reminds of the the radio controlled one I had the Buzz at the entrance reminds me of the original from the 90s I have lying around somewhere.
Quote from: "Alan"The queue to Toy Soldiers Parachute Drop isn't supposed to place you in the gritty realism of modern warfare. Those figures aren't supposed to be real soldiers. You're not supposed to believe you're out in Afghanistan. Everything is supposed to be a toy. Everything is supposed to look simple and plastic. That's the idea, that's the style. If it did look incredibly rich and complex, it wouldn't look like an oversized toy, and Disney would've failed.
Agreed, the theme of the attraction is toy soldiers, not real Marines so in that sense they've pulled it off very well.  I like the inside of the Parachute drop simply for this and also from a guy who plays a lot of realistic war video games, I find it funny seeing the little plastic radios and jeeps and such.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "disneylandparisgirl"Woody's round-up village is fairly temporary though and a bit out of the way (also wasn't there last time we went)

I think the pics look quite good, very well themed!

davewasbaloo and TTT we have no problem with you expressing your opinion all we ask is if you could do it without insulting the intelligence of those who like what has been done please!

The only one who insulted anyones intelligence is Disney for building 3 pointless rides.
It´s just a matter of time until they put Buzz in Space Mountain and call it Mission 3.
...or how about Pirates Of The Caribbean Feat. Buzz Lightyear And Friends
4 Toy Story rides... but no Pooh ride...
...but Iike the way the grass looks in TSPL.

tubbsy

First of all TimmyTimmyTimmy what time did you write that???? I thought I was an early riser! (sorry off topic but couldnt help notice  :roll:  :lol: )
OK, trying to think how to word this, cos I feel like I am being pulled in two different directions, so please bare with me

I do think that there is a lot of Toy Story in the parks. I know Woodys round up is supposed to be temporary but I feel that Toy Story has been shoe horned into different parts of the parks and, I would have preferred, in my honest own opinion, to have had everything in one area. If we're gonna have a Toy Story Playland, lets have one big amazing area with an eatery, shop etc. We're not going to get that so.....

I do think that the three rides in TSPL will add something to the park as I have felt that, on my last visit, the park was very bare. The theming is great too. And I am looking forward to riding two rides and watching my mad family on the third. I may appear like a clapping seal when I see new photos "Wow! thats great! Whoop!" (Sam claps hands  :P ) but to me, having seen a bland park three years ago this looks amazing. Can you imagine what Studios is going to look like to me with ToT no longer a construction site Hollywood Blvd open, Flying Carpets not looking so stark,  in the queue line, Toon Studios and TSPL with so much greenery - its gonna be almost like me seeing a new park and thats what first time visitors will see. A really bright and colourful part of the park.

DLP needs money and I think the rides will pull more people into the parks making money so that it can be given to the imagineers to create the big e ticket ride.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

TimmyTimmyTimmy

Quote from: "tubbsy"First of all TimmyTimmyTimmy what time did you write that???? I thought I was an early riser! (sorry off topic but couldnt help notice  :roll:  :lol: )
Just before I went to bed...:)

pussinboots

DLP.info has pictures of Slinky Dog online. http://www.dlp.info/News/2010/08/taking ... linky-dog/

Tomorrow RC Racer I suppose...

Donald-Duck-Malta

New pictures of Slinky Dog zig-zag spin Ride!
Source-DLP.Info :thumbs:

Enjoy the pics guys! :thumbs:

toritinker

wow slinky dog looks great to me! thanks for putting the photos on :D
x
Sante Fe - December 2008
Radisson Blu Disneyland Paris - August 2010