a retort to those who criticise space mountain mission 2

Started by david, May 22, 2008, 06:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

david

I've noticed that there are lots of people who are somewhat unfair to the update of space mountain. Before i was in agreement (more or less), but now I've had a big change of heart toward mission 2.

I loved de la terre a la lune and its brilliant score and theming that was actually consistent with the outside of the ride and the rest of discoveryland and i was disappointed at first with the update (aside from the special effects inside the mountain and the new paint job and lights outside which i was always impressed with). This was before i went to DLRP again last month when i realised just how brilliant it is! Looking back to the old ride the scenery and theming inside the mountain were a bit lame (apart from the view from the queue) but on the ride itself, the asteroids were 2 dimensional, the UV painted wooden cutouts of characters from the book (presumably) and the basic slowly rotating projection of the moon at the climax of the ride is just so...... 90s!
I remember being amazed at these decorations before the ride was revamped, but i think that was due to me being 13 and a child of the 90s. if they had kept the inside as it was, it would look rubbish nower days and i seriously doubt it would wow today's media savvy 21st century 13 yr olds with their x-stations and wii-boxes.

The soundtrack was better on the original, and i preferred the old storyline and the grandeur of it all. But the effects (and the faster cannon launch) make it an improvement in my eyes.

One way it could be better (maybe something they could do when mission 2 is showing age) is to have modern special effects AND the old from the earth to the moon storyline- with a re-recorded version of the old soundtrack.

That is what i would like to see. But until then, i'd like people to stop bashing mission 2 and start loving it as i do (i went on it 7 times in a row!)  :D/  (wow, this is a really long post, and not much of a discussion...... erm) discuss

Kristof

I'm closing this topic, feel free to re-post your message in the official Space Mountain topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=251&p=62661#p62661

:)