Google Earth 3D Disneyland Paris

Started by britincgn, May 20, 2008, 11:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

They've also launched an iGoogle theme: http://www.google.com/ig/directory?type ... 40douny.fr

Cool!

Adam

Google have mentioned the new 3D DLP in their latest The Sightseer:

QuoteDisneyland® Resort Paris in 3D

3D Disneyland Resort Paris in Google Earth Speaking of 3D buildings, make sure you check out Disneyland Resort Paris in Google Earth! Disney has modeled nearly every detail of this park including the rides, Disney castle, buildings, trees, signs, tables, and even Mickey Mouse! More than 85,000 photos (450GB worth) were taken over a 20 day period for this project. The castle alone is comprised of over 354 textures derived from over 2,000 photos. There is also a Google Earth layer with placemarks that help guide you through the amazing Disneyland Paris complex. Make sure to turn on the 3D Buildings layer to see the models when you fly there in Google Earth. Read more, or you can watch a Disney video introduction. There is also a layer with placemarks to the main attractions under "Gallery->Travel and Tourism->Disneyland Resort Paris", which will help guide you around the park.

http://earth.google.com/newsletter/jun09/june09.html

mommy2ash

i had been waiting for this for ages but my laptop just cant take it. i  get to the dlh and it shuts down
Santa Fe Oct 08
Santa Fe Feb 09
Santa Fe/Sequioa Lodge Nov 09

CafeFantasia

It may please you to know that even Apple's latest £1200+ MacBooks struggle with Disneyland Paris in 3D on Google Earth. So, don't feel left out, if all you have is a crappy old PC :-)

pussinboots

Quote from: "Alan"It may please you to know that even Apple's latest £1200+ MacBooks struggle with Disneyland Paris in 3D on Google Earth. So, don't feel left out, if all you have is a crappy old PC :-)

Great. I'm about to buy a MacBook Pro and that was one of the things I was looking forward to. (My current PowerBook can't even handle Google Earth sans 3D.)

It seems the world isn't yet ready for this.

Disney_Dad

Google Streetview for DLRP now in place!!!

giorgio1712

Quote from: "Alan"It may please you to know that even Apple's latest £1200+ MacBooks struggle with Disneyland Paris in 3D on Google Earth. So, don't feel left out, if all you have is a crappy old PC :-)

Thats a suprise! My £900 Dell can handle it amazingly! Im running 2.4gHz with 4GB RAM and it is smooooth!  :D/

CafeFantasia

QuoteI don't think it means "Google streetview" That would require a car to drive around the parcs... I think it means zooming in etc and the Google earth "camera" being at street level

Oh, really? :-) Well, allow me to introduce you to Street View, in Disneyland Resort Paris:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 55454&z=15

CafeFantasia

QuoteThats a suprise! My £900 Dell can handle it amazingly! Im running 2.4gHz with 4GB RAM and it is smooooth!

The MacBook I tested it on had a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB of RAM, and an NVIDIA 9400M graphics chipset, running at 1280 x 800 pixels. The animation wasn't smooth at all. Then again, it all depends how you define smooth. Some people can't see/detect low frame rates. But I'd say that it wasn't smooth until you really zoomed in on certain buildings. Zoomed out, showing the entire park, it was jerky.

Agent Lex

Quote from: "giorgio1712"

Thats a suprise! My £900 Dell can handle it amazingly! Im running 2.4gHz with 4GB RAM and it is smooooth!  :D/
So don't feel left out, if all you have is a crappy new mac.

:P

Anthony

I won't fan the flames by mentioning my laptop...

It's a shame for Disneyland Park that it was captured during Halloween, complete with orange splats and pumpkinmen on Main Street. For some reason I was thinking they didn't trash it last year.

Tower of Terror looks truly awesome though, they caught it in a fantastic light:

Willow

Taken during Extra Magic Hours in both parks. Shame all the walkways aren't covered.

I was trying to spot myself as I was at the resort during that time, it didn't rain whilst we where there.

Another nice bit of publicity for the resort.  :)

Nicholas-c

Sorry to throw a little water on the fire but doesn't having street view defeat the whole point in having 3D buildings ?
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Agent Lex

Not at all! If anything, it's the other way around. Street View only offers a limited perspective (for example, you can't get into Frontierland or Fantasyland in the Street View) while the 3D lets you see everything from every angle.

But the street view does serve a purpose of not nearly melting your floor/desk/lap/hand.

CafeFantasia

And for those of you who are keen to know what Disneyland Paris looks like in Street View, on an iPhone 3G, here are some screenshots: