Disney Village Expansion/Improvements

Started by Kristof, August 21, 2005, 02:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

New Disney Village map featuring Starbucks has been released:

Really it's just the old one with the logo placed on top of the old Buffalo Trading accessories, but I've listed a few other strange differences compared to the 2008 version here.

And for old time's sake, there's five other old maps spanning this decade here. This one is particularly interesting, published only in the Spring/Summer 2002 brochure:

Needless to say I remember us watching and waiting for that to arrive for quite a long time. Thank god DV took another 3 years with its IMAX! :?

Aveen2008

Just read about the Carousel! So glad that eye sore is gone, it never fitted in, it was so cheap and tacky looking! =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  Lets hope we don't see it return.

Its amazing to see the change in the maps, thanks for posting Anthony! :)
Luv Aveen xoxo

bigrossco

Quote from: "Aveen2008"Just read about the Carousel! So glad that eye sore is gone, it never fitted in, it was so cheap and tacky looking! =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  Lets hope we don't see it return.

Its amazing to see the change in the maps, thanks for posting Anthony! :)

BUT BUT I am going to miss it ... i loved it ...

Only joking lol and totally agree
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

charlied

Just wondering, what are the chances of DLRP ever getting a House of Blues and a Cirque du Soleil? I mean it is French after all. :wink: And could Disney Village be split into districts like Downtown Disney in the future? That would be cool.

davewasbaloo

Well we used to have Muriel Hermine's Crescend'O, which was a great aquatic circus in a similar vain to Cirque du Soliel (who are Canadian, not French).

as for HoB, as much as I would love to see it, there were was feesability studies done about bringing the chain to Europe (London and DLP), but as far as I am aware, they have now been dropped. DLP stopped using their musical venue capacity years ago.

I fondly remember how you could see bands in 3 or 4 locations, dance in 3 and see fireworks and lasers on the lake. and people wonder why I miss the old days and get grumpy about modern DLP.
since 2001 (many before that)

charlied

QuoteWell we used to have Muriel Hermine's Crescend'O, which was a great aquatic circus in a similar vain to Cirque du Soliel (who are Canadian, not French).

:shock: WHAT!? There used to be a circus at DLP! When was this? Oh I wish I could of seen it. I meant to say that the Cirque du Soleil name was French, because I knew they were Canadian.  :wink:

Did those musical venues used to take place in the white tent in between DV and HNBC? I understand why you complain about what it's like now; they sound really brilliant.

davewasbaloo

The White tent was the Cirque. It had a massive swimming pool that was also an ice rink and a stage. Amazing really. The transformations were great, cyncronised swimming, a burning devil that was on fire as he fell into the water and then disappeared. It was sublime. I still sometimes listen to the CD and flick through the book. This was back in 1999.

As for the village, Billy Bob's used to have the Grammy Awar winning Moody Brothers everynight except 2, and sometimes big name acts would fill the gaps. Where King Ludwigs is now was Rock and Roll America, and they had tribute acts on most nights (or sometimes kareoke near the end). The Central Stage was where the space is between the Disney store and the Sports Bar - and on Wednesdays and weekends, as well as high season, there would be bands on. And sometimes Hurricanes had gigs too.

the Village used to be a big draw in itself. And back in the day, all the hotels had live entertainment, with the DLH having a string quartet, the HNY has a big band jazz club, the Newport Bay pianist and folk groups, Sequoia Lodge had country groups (as did the Cheyenne, though in the early years they had cancan dancers too), and the Santa fe used to have Mariachi Bands.

This is why I am angry at all the toons. We used to get real entertainment (that the characters used to interact with). Once upon a time, DLP was the greatest resort in the Disney empire, now it is a shadow of it's former self, and most people on these boards do not realise what they are missing.

sometimes I wish I never became a lifelong fan at DL and then following DLP since they struck ground. Then I might be happy with buffets and character meals too.

phantom247

By the end of the year Earl of sandwich preperations for construction should begin with the lake area nearest Steakhouse and the dome being filled in.

davewasbaloo

For those interested, here are some lovely pics from Crescend'O:

http://www.crescendo-fan.org/shgerm.html

Quark

It's a shame really that most of the entertainment is gone now - I didn't quite *get* it at the time because I was still too young, but DLRP nowadays is far too family-centric and, well, French for my taste when it comes to entertainment. As a grownup, I'm sure I could really appreciate what we had back in 1992.

I can kind of understand that they needed to satisfy their core audience first (otherwise, they wouldn't even be here anymore), but what was so great about Walt Disney World is that there were little things everywhere that you wouldn't find at any other resort (except at Universal maybe). Things like the Adventurer's Club, the hilarious Comedy Warehouse, Jellyrolls - for most of that stuff you had to be over 18 or 21!

Although sadly, most of it is going as well by now, replaced by bland, family-friendly, 3rd-party operated dining establishments. So it's not only Paris...

davewasbaloo

QUARK - fantastic to see you, I have missed you around here!

But yes, they have gone very much away from what made Disney great in the first place, and many do not realise because they are fairly new to the experience. In many ways I envy them, but I do long for the resorts that used to cater for everyone.

I partied very hard in the Village back in the day, it was like a mini Pleasure Island. Now it is dull save for Buffalo Bills, Annette's and the Steakhouse.  A real shame. Same shopping and character experience as you can get everywhere else in the resort. It used to be sooooo different.

Quark

Wow - somebody remembers me :shock: :mrgreen: Always nice to see a familiar face!

I just posted something similar in the "when was your first visit" thread - it feels like most people around here came to DLRP much later than me, and I'm only thirty. That's a shame really, because there's a lot they did right in those early years, but by having to reign in the spending they cut just about everything. And not *all* of that was necessary, considering how much money they're still wasting on useless stuff.

But I'm an optimist - I remember longingly staring at that empty field earmarked for the "MGM Studios Europe". There were times when I thought that would never happen at all - and granted, the result is underwhelming, but we've still come a long way. Plus, now that I'm all grown up, I can pretty much chose any Disney location in the world if Paris gets on my nerves again :)

davewasbaloo

Agreed, a lot of these newbies really don't know what they are missing, and wonder why some of us get so grumpy. I envy them though. After 34 years of obsession, I find it harder to give them a free pass when they get it wrong (Crush, Toystoryland, Stitch in DISCOveryland, Backlot Express, staggered hours anyone).

But on the flip side, with the maintenance improvements, Disney should also be given a pat on the back. The place is starting to look like it should again.

smurfy74

i have fond memories of the village in 1990 something when it had the star lit sky and i went on a gyroscope and met the teenage mutant hero turtles, i cant really remember the stores that much. I must admit i really do like the Starbucks that has opened there recently, but i fear that after the recent announcement along with the financial figures means no expansion -yet

Maarten

They really should bring back the Central Stage. I loved the atmosphere of the Village back then. Nowadays things start to look up again with the additions of the planters, Starbucks, Panoramagique and the removal of those cheap rides, but I do miss the stage and the lights between the columns. Why did they ever remove them anyway? Maybe one day they will restore Disney Village to its heyday (at least when it comes to entertainment, the look of the place will take some more work). If EuroDisney is ready to expand Disney Village once more, they should take notice of Downtown Disney Westside and Pleasure Island. House of Blues would be a welcomed addition for sure.

I never knew about the entertainment at the Disney Hotels. That sounds really awesome. Nowadays some afwul disco tunes are played through the speakers of Fisherman's Wharf at Newport Bay Club.  :?

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"But on the flip side, with the maintenance improvements, Disney should also be given a pat on the back. The place is starting to look like it should again.

I have to disagree with you on this one. I just returned from DLP, and except for certain area's (Fantasia Gardens, Main Street, Discoveryland, Frontlot, Tower of Terror area etc) I couldn't help but feel that parts of the parks and hotels felt a bit worn out. The woodwork and roof of Newport Bay Club in particular looked awful. A large part of the promenade along Lake Disney was dark at night because all lights were broken, and they should finally take notice of the cracked pavement all over the Resort. Discoveryland's pavement looked great however, and the return of many of the effects in Disneyland Park partly made up for it in my book.

But this is all way offtopic, I had to get it off my chest. Its great to be back. :wink: