Plan of WDS from 2004

Started by Japper, May 06, 2008, 08:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Japper

//http://bp2.blogger.com/_OO7WbmARD08/SB-aMimLEhI/AAAAAAAAG6k/W71D_0277hc/s1600-h/wds+plan+1.jpg

Check out this plan from the WDS found on disneyandmore.blogspot.com!
You can see a lot from this.. one thing is for sure, that Soarin' indeed fits into the space between cinemagique and disney channel!

Riebi

Wow! The buildings looks much closer then 2002. And a fountain! How wonderful! Some style in 2000! Hope the actual studios are getting this kind of a closer look soon!
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Kristof

It has never been a question if it will fit.  I've told many times before that an Imagineer working on the placemaking projects had confirmed to me that Soarin' was designed to fit between those 2 buildings. It's just a matter of "if" / "when" it will be build.

The plan is actually from around 2004 and was made by Peter McGrath, ordered by André Lacroix.

Riebi

Quote from: "raptor1982"It has never been a question if it will fit.  I've told many times before that an Imagineer working on the placemaking projects had confirmed to me that Soarin' was designed to fit between those 2 buildings. It's just a matter of "if" / "when" it will be build.

The plan is actually from around 2004 and was made by Peter McGrath, ordered by André Lacroix.

Oh 2004! So the chances for my fountain and a closer look seems a bit higher :mrgreen:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Remco K.

Also interesting: on this plan, the Partners statue is gone! You would expect it to be relocated, and not just removed.

pussinboots

Wow, how ambitious. I suppose Soarin' and the hub expansion are still possible... But, well, you know.

Anthony

It must be so hard working for Imagineering in Paris. Even tougher than it is to be an impatient fan.

First of all... wow! It really exists, the legendary plan! :shock:

It's good to know they tried other ideas for the Studios expansion, but I think ultimately what we've got now (even if it's much smaller than this here) is actually far better. The plan doesn't show any Hollywood boulevard, no exceptionally themed Toon Studio expansion... We might only have half a park now (which the Hollywood backdrop really makes clear, it's like the park is sliced in two), but it's a much better beginning than they even hoped for a few years earlier.

Few great things that WDI have considered -- putting buildings on the two courtyards. YES!! The Studios is actually quite big, but those two massive, open, boring courtyards make it seem so much smaller. The hub with a fountain is obviously brilliant. Soarin' actually looks tiny in that slot and has more space in front of it than I'd thought. And the whole scheme of the park leading toward the hub is very good.

Strange to see a building with "Sony" written on it. A partner-that-never-was?

Peter McGrath was just recently promoted to Vice President of Creative Development at WDI in Burbank. Very good news for WDI. I hope whoever has replaced him in Paris is as eager to see the Studios grow as this.

davewasbaloo

Am I missing something? It seems like you guys are getting excited about something that is very minorly different to what we have now (yes ToT is better than a LK theatre), but with the exception of Soarin' and a fountain, this layout is essentially what we have now.
since 2001 (many before that)

Kristof

The rest of the plan actually shows ToT with Sunset Blvd. leading towards it.

lil-shawn

QuoteThe rest of the plan actually shows ToT with Sunset Blvd. leading towards it.

hmm it woul´d be very nice to se the rest of this old plan. but maybe we never will se it  :(

pussinboots

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Am I missing something? It seems like you guys are getting excited about something that is very minorly different to what we have now (yes ToT is better than a LK theatre), but with the exception of Soarin' and a fountain, this layout is essentially what we have now.

Wel, the map is cut off and implies significant northbound expansion, as well as several new buildings wedged in between the existing ones. With a little imagination as to how these additions would look from street level, it could be a pretty nice park.

It could also have meant a more properly thought out location for the ToT.

By the way, note how he misspelled "Soarin'", haha.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Am I missing something? It seems like you guys are getting excited about something that is very minorly different to what we have now (yes ToT is better than a LK theatre), but with the exception of Soarin' and a fountain, this layout is essentially what we have now.

Wel, the map is cut off and implies significant northbound expansion, as well as several new buildings wedged between the existing ones. With a little imagination as to how these additions would look from street level, it could be a pretty nice park.

It could have also meant a more properly thought out location for the ToT.

By the way, note how he misspelled "Soarin'", haha.

I thought at DCA everything tended to have an apostrophe rather than spelling it out.

also I was referring to the context of this pic.  WDSP has plenty of room to grow.  The future does indeed have a lot of potential, especially as it only fills 35% of the pad currently.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

Yes, but he spelled it "Sorin". I know, I'm awful.

And yes, the park still has lots of potential, I suppose. That's the good thing about building only 15% of a theme park at opening.

Whoknew?

Mh, brilliant plan. i would have loved it to se a more narrow gateway to production courtyard with buildings on each site and i hope we will get something like this when the theatre district placemaking will start. an the fountain is an absolute must have  :D/

Timbo

The thing I noticed from this plan is how many trees there are,seems like way more than there really are ? ! And yes , a fountain would be great !