Walt Disney Studios Lake (RUMOUR)

Started by Kristof, April 25, 2008, 12:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Disney Central Plaza member "EricLovesTZTOT" posted following message a few days ago:

Quote from: "EricLovesTZTOT"Aujourd'hui, on m'a montré un plan présentant un projet d'agrandissement de bitume-studio ! Je ne sais absolument pas si ce projet est incertains ou quasi définitif. Ce plan présentait une nouvelle aire, située derrière le bois du Tram Tour, avec plusieurs bâtiments disposés autour d'un petit lac. Je n'ai obtenu aucune information non plus concernant les attractions qui prendraient place dans ce nouvel espace...

Roughly translated (dropping out the Studios sarcasm):

Quote from: "EricLovesTZTOT"Today I've been shown a map showing the expansion of the Studios.  I do not know if this project is a sure thing or just an idea.  The plan showed a new area, located behind the Studio Tram Tour forest with new buildings surrounding a small lake.  I did not receive any information regarding the attractions that could be placed in this new area.

I have to add that I've spoken one day with a Toon Studio Imagineer who explained to me that WDS was lacking a large water body and elevation change in the area development. That's why Cars Race Rally was build lower then ground level.

But before we can get all excited, I do want to point out that a lake was planned for that area during the Disney-MGM Europe project.  It's where the Indiana Jones area was supposed to go and the New York waterfront backlot.  Maybe the plan was dated from that time...

pussinboots

That's very nice; the park could use a little H2O. Here's what I'm thinking: If there is any truth to this at all, the one thing we could be pretty much sure of is adieu Tram Tour loading station and bonjour Hollywood Boulevard extension. The unfortunate part is that this is obviously not something we're going to see very soon, considering the concrete of the last placemaking project is still drying.

Not that I wouldn't be happy about this lake, but then again, it's not like Echo Lake is that exciting.

Japper

A lot of 'second' parks have a big lake:

- Epcot
- Disney's California Adventure
- Tokyo DisneySea
- Islands of Adventure (universals second park)

So I think/hope this will happen to our studios soon!

Kristof

Quote from: "Japper"A lot of 'second' parks have a big lake:

- Epcot
- Disney's California Adventure
- Tokyo DisneySea
- Islands of Adventure (universals second park)

So I think/hope this will happen to our studios soon!

Correction, all Disney parks have a lake, except Walt Disney Studios Park (it was also the only park without Animatronics at one time).   :wink:

Japper

Yes but I mean that in the parks I mentioned the lake is a really big deal for the park.
For example.. epcot's layout is nothing without it's lake.. but for DHS isn't the lake that big a deal!

Anthony

Well I didn't expect that... I can picture it well from that description though. I wonder what would be used as the icon at the end of Hollywood Boulevard. It'd be strange for it to just disappear into a lake.

Whether this is likely to happen in 2010, 2050 or never, it's refreshing to get a rumour that seems to show WDI knowing exactly what the Studios needs -- some actual breathing room between the attractions.

Maarten

Quote from: "pussinboots"Not that I wouldn't be happy about this lake, but then again, it's not like Echo Lake is that exciting.

Walt Disney Studios is desperate for area's like this. And although Echo Lake isn't that exciting, it is something that would be a welcomed addition to our Studios park. Like Baloo said, the park needs some breathing space between the attractions, which it hasn't at the moment really.

On the other hand, I'm not too sure this will see the light of day soon. I've heard so many of these kind of rumours in the past years, so I'll wait and see. If it happens to become reality though, I think it would be nice addition. Especially with some restaurants and shops surrounding the lake like in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Maybe this can also be the perfect spot for Soarin'?

Riebi

Wasn´t there always this quiet rumours about a lake at WDS?

I think it would be great! Wonderful addition to the park! An area to just sit down look over the water and having an "airy" feeling.

It´s something what the park needs in the same way it needs a real shopping and restaurant district.

The only thing is: I think this is something far far away in the future and not something for the next years.

As mentioned the hollywood Bvd. or similar thing must be complete and I think they will do or better should do an E-Ticket or faboulus D-Ticket at the end. And after this addition there will be room for the lake around or beside this E-Ticket.

I´ve made a "imagineering plan" a while ago where I´ve painting the longer hollywood bvd and at the end an E-Ticket ride surounded by water streams and a big lake.
Also having an alternative spot for  Soarin' would be great. I must agree to maarten. Wouldn´t it be great to have a big waterplane at a wide lake where you can go in to have a meal and being also the queue entrance for soarin.

But I think I should be realistic and waiting the next 10??? years till I have first SOME water! (Maybe a BIG fountain :mrgreen: )
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

pussinboots

Quote from: "Maarten"Walt Disney Studios is desperate for area's like this. And although Echo Lake isn't that exciting, it is something that would be a welcomed addition to our Studios park. Like Baloo said, the park needs some breathing space between the attractions, which it hasn't at the moment really.

On the other hand, I'm not too sure this will see the light of day soon. I've heard so many of these kind of rumours in the past years, so I'll wait and see. If it happens to become reality though, I think it would be nice addition. Especially with some restaurants and shops surrounding the lake like in Disney's Hollywood Studios. Maybe this can also be the perfect spot for Soarin'?

Yes, exactly. I didn't mean I can't see the need for a body of water, but they wouldn't just dig out a lake and leave it at that, obviously -- a lake means a new area, new architecture, etc. So that sort of opens up a whole new chapter in the Studios' history.

Although what sort of lake would befit a studios park? Echo Lake isn't exactly the most exciting place on Disney property. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Remco K.

This all sounds very interesting. Off course, like Raptor said, it might just have been some old plans. But if this rumour turns out to be true, it could possibly mean the Imagineers will grab back to other pieces of the old Disney MGM Europe plan as well.

Kristof

Wow, I would have expect a lot more excitement about this.  A large water body is quiet important for a theme park.  It's well known that water has a relaxing effect on people, it's were guests can just hang out, feed birds (which is officially not allowed) and just enjoy the atmosphere.  There's no place what's so ever at WDS where you can do this.  Imagine our Frontierland without its lake, or your walk to the Disney Hotels without a stroll around Lake Disney.  Same goes for Epcot, the Rivers around The Tree of Life in AK and even the small Echo Lake sets a certain mood going from the crowed Hollywood Blvd. to the more nature-inspired area behind the buildings.

Owain

Wow, this is a great rumour. I hope its true, seems like WDS is on Drought mode accept for the water feature in front lot. I have a feeling though it wouldnt be a bare lake like echo lake, more like a lake surrounded by shops, restaurants, character sets and maybe a few new rides. Thats just my idea of it and i think it could be exotic too. :)

Anyway if this is true, good news again for WDS.  =D>

The Butlin Boy

I'm looking forward to seeing how this rumor develops, WDS does need somewhere where people can relax, but it also needs a lot more shops and restaurants. This will also open up the opportunity for more new rides and attractions, not only in this area, but if they move the STT then there is a lot more room for a big Toon Studio expansion :) It also opens the opportunity for them to design a new nighttime show like Fantasmic, and the new water show being developed at DCA, Disney's World of Color :mrgreen:

Owain

Just another thing to add, i am really getting into this now im imagining what its going to look like, and another idea im liking is having The Great Movie Ride as one of the attractions surrounding the lake  :D  [-o< After all WDS is a movie park !

pussinboots

Quote from: "raptor1982"Wow, I would have expect a lot more excitement about this.  A large water body is quite important for a theme park.  It's well known that water has a relaxing effect on people, it's were guests can just hang out, feed birds (which is officially not allowed) and just enjoy the atmosphere.  There's no place what's so ever at WDS where you can do this.  Imagine our Frontierland without its lake, or your walk to the Disney Hotels without a stroll around Lake Disney.  Same goes for Epcot, the Rivers around The Tree of Life in AK and even the small Echo Lake sets a certain mood going from the crowed Hollywood Blvd. to the more nature-inspired area behind the buildings.

Yes, but the river (Walt intended it to be a river, at least, not a lake) of Frontierland fits the woodsy scenery, as it does at DAK, while the waters of Epcot and TDS each represent the Seven Seas. At DCA, it's to set up the seaside carnival of Paradise Pier. But in the harsh, utilitarian world of the Studios, where everything nice has a steel backside, how does a lake fit in?