Walt Disney Studios Lake (RUMOUR)

Started by Kristof, April 25, 2008, 12:40:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penfold12

I for one am totaly excited about the posibility of a lake in WDS.

Remeber ages ago when there was a poll on the boards asking which future development you were most looking forward to? I plumed for Hollywood Blvd over TOT for the same reason that I hope this transpires.

The thing that seperates a Disney park from any other is the atmosphere. This is driven by the themeing to a large degree. WDS always has a special place in my heart as I love movies and the whole nostalgic feel of Hollywood. DHS manages to portray this, and WDS always hinted at it. The recent additions of Hollywood Blvd and TOT or light years away from the park opening feel, and this possible expansion fills me with the same hope!!

dagobert

I hope that these rumours will come to reality in the future. The Walt Disney Studios park really needs a lake. In Disney's Hollywood Studios at WDW I always enjoyed sitting on a bench at the Echo Lake and having a cold drink.

Kristof

QuoteYes, but the river (Walt intended it to be a river, at least, not a lake) of Frontierland fits the woodsy scenery, as it does at DAK, while the waters of Epcot and TDS each represent the Seven Seas. At DCA, it's to set up the seaside carnival of Paradise Pier. But in the harsh, utilitarian world of the Studios, where everything nice has a steel backside, how does a lake fit in?

That's exactly what I'm saying, water adds to the atmosphere.  Even if the lake (or river, does it really matter, I'm talking about a large waterbody) wasn't added to fit the "woodsy" scenery, it would still have contributed to the overall atmosphere instead of the theming.  Besides, if an Imagineer tells me that WDS needs a large waterbody, I'm sure they know what they're talking about then.  :)

Lake Disney could have been left out as well, but it's still nice to walk around, without having an actual purpose.  I don't see what the problem is.

Remco K.

Raptor, I'm curious, what's the topic called on DCP? Not that I want to check your sources, but I justed wanted to check if there are any updates.

I've scrolled the topic list of 3 pages a few times, but I'm afraid I'm being blind... :P

Maarten

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "raptor1982"Wow, I would have expect a lot more excitement about this.  A large water body is quite important for a theme park.  It's well known that water has a relaxing effect on people, it's were guests can just hang out, feed birds (which is officially not allowed) and just enjoy the atmosphere.  There's no place what's so ever at WDS where you can do this.  Imagine our Frontierland without its lake, or your walk to the Disney Hotels without a stroll around Lake Disney.  Same goes for Epcot, the Rivers around The Tree of Life in AK and even the small Echo Lake sets a certain mood going from the crowed Hollywood Blvd. to the more nature-inspired area behind the buildings.

Yes, but the river (Walt intended it to be a river, at least, not a lake) of Frontierland fits the woodsy scenery, as it does at DAK, while the waters of Epcot and TDS each represent the Seven Seas. At DCA, it's to set up the seaside carnival of Paradise Pier. But in the harsh, utilitarian world of the Studios, where everything nice has a steel backside, how does a lake fit in?

Exactly Puss, a lake doesn't have any purpose in a Studios themed environment. In Disney's Hollywood Studios, Echo Lake seems to be like a transition zone between different area's (at least to me). That makes me even more curious how they want to fit it in with the current Walt Disney Studios theming wise. However, I completely agree that a water body would be a welcomed addition since it can function as breating room between the attractions, like I mentioned earlier.

pussinboots

Cynical part of post:
I may be wrong here, but it seems to me that the real reason for Echo Lake's location is to be one of Mickey's ears in the "world's largest Hidden Mickey". So theming-wise, it certainly is Disney's most random lake.

It's still nice, of course, for all the reasons you've all mentioned, but I'd hate to think that's the best they can think of at Imagineering.

(Also, I really hate to poop on everyone's buffet again, but it does seem to prove once again that the studio theme park concept has its flaws -- and limits.)

Optimistic part of post:
...But I do hope the rumors are true. The park can only improve with a bit of H2O.

penfold12

raptor, behind the forest, or to the side of it next to the stunt show on the parking lot area? If it is behind the forest, its quite a way from the current section of park, apart from the canyon section of the tram tour. Mind you all the more space to be filled on the rummored expansion!

Kristof

QuoteExactly Puss, a lake doesn't have any purpose in a Studios themed environment. In Disney's Hollywood Studios, Echo Lake seems to be like a transition zone between different area's (at least to me). That makes me even more curious how they want to fit it in with the current Walt Disney Studios theming wise. However, I completely agree that a water body would be a welcomed addition since it can function as breating room between the attractions, like I mentioned earlier.

Universal Studios Hollywood has at least 3 lakes on their backlot which are used in productions.  I'll post pictures later in my trip report.  
We don't even know how the lake will be placed and in which context and the bashing has already started.

Remco K.

Quote from: "raptor1982"We don't even know how the lake will be placed and in which context and the bashing has already started.
I guess they're more sceptical on the lake thing in general (though the purpose of the lake is also haevily discussed here... :wink:).

You're right though, we have soon plans, no concepts, and yet the idea is being bashed already. But I'm sure we're all just as curious. :D I sure am looking forward to another piece of theming inside the 'asphalt studios' (you should've translated Eric's sarcasm as well! :lol:). If this rumour really is true, and the theatre district will also be set up in a near future, hooray for WDS!

Maarten

Quote from: "raptor1982"
QuoteExactly Puss, a lake doesn't have any purpose in a Studios themed environment. In Disney's Hollywood Studios, Echo Lake seems to be like a transition zone between different area's (at least to me). That makes me even more curious how they want to fit it in with the current Walt Disney Studios theming wise. However, I completely agree that a water body would be a welcomed addition since it can function as breating room between the attractions, like I mentioned earlier.

Universal Studios Hollywood has at least 3 lakes on their backlot which are used in productions.  I'll post pictures later in my trip report.  
We don't even know how the lake will be placed and in which context and the bashing has already started.

So we all should be postive about the subject, without even knowing what the concept contains like you mentioned? Thats just as weird.

Since you are quoting me, I assume you talk to me about the bashing? Well if you would read my post properly, you would see that I am not bashing anything. Since I would love to see a body of water in our Studios, it makes me even more curious how they will fit it in the exsisting park. Besides, I assume that the 3 lakes at the backlot of Universal Hollywood are showtanks or part of filmsets? I was talking about Echo Lake, which isn't either of these two options. Thats why we are talking about the concept of a lake in a studio environment, not about the concept of the actual lake in WDS itself.

WDS needs every little help it can get, be it lakes or attractions. In my opinion it is still the worst Disney park in the world in terms of layout, theme - details, and attractions. It really is a poor quality Disney park and pathetic in comparison to any other Disney park, even DCA is a thousands times better than WDS.

Kristof

QuoteSince you are quoting me, I assume you talk to me about the bashing?

Nope Maarten, I was talking in general.  Don't feel attacked, you're entitled to have your opinion.  And so am I.

Anthony

Caption: In the middle of Hollywood lies this lake... With the Hollywood sign behind it on this clear day....

Maybe we're thinking about the lake too much from a "why would a studio build a lake?" direction. What if the lake was already there, and this collection of studios (Toon, Hollywood, Backlot, etc) has grown up around it?  It could be a good neutral area like Central Plaza. Maybe a bit like how Magic Kingdom has water around its hub? It's water for the sake of water, making the park actually seem like a park, not necessarily for the sake of a theme.

I quite like the look of Florida's Echo Lake recreation, but it is indeed a bit of a bland theme for such a large corner.

I'm personally thrilled there's even rumour of such a thing for WDS, rather than padding the park out with another quick attraction 0.2metres away from all the others. While they're at it (if they really are), I hope WDI (and the financiers) consider putting Soarin' out there with some proper area development (looking exactly like this) and a pre-show based around Howard Hughes (The Aviator).

We could probably do with an "Imagineer the unlikely WDS Lake!" topic.

pussinboots

I love Howard Hughes! That would be fantastic. Unlikely, but fantastic.

Quote from: "Maarten"So we all should be postive about the subject, without even knowing what the concept contains like you mentioned? Thats just as weird. [...]

I agree. If this "bashing" thing is targeted at those who once again pointed out the flaws of the WDS, well, when discussing the potential improvements of a park that's been a universally acknowledged disappointment from the day it opened, those negative aspects are obviously going to be recounted. If only to provide contrast. If it was all perfect and peachy, it wouldn't need a lake in the first place.

Owain

Quote from: "131184"WDS needs every little help it can get, be it lakes or attractions. In my opinion it is still the worst Disney park in the world in terms of layout, theme - details, and attractions. It really is a poor quality Disney park and pathetic in comparison to any other Disney park, even DCA is a thousands times better than WDS.
I cant believe your saying this i think WDS is an Amazing park especially for its size !
DCA from my terms is awful, the only reason id go there is to ride california screaming and thats nothign to do with disney!