Sleeping Beauty Castle - 2011 refurbishment

Started by Remco K., March 01, 2008, 11:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captain rocket

I totaly agree with your comments,Pussinboots, the central plaza has been a disaster as far as I am concerned,I have tried repeatedly to watch shows there but I get bored of standing around or trying to find a decent view and usually end up giving up and moving on. When I watch a show in the Chapperal Theatre I get a reasonable view,get to take the weight of my feet for 20/30 minutes and actually enjoy the experience! Why is this asset so underused?

Riebi

I think it´s really a shame. The castle stage was always a symbol for great little shows as the livre magic or the first winnie pooh show. It was hard for me to see, that now the stage seems just good enough to present some princesses. It was harder to see this ugly stage octopus on central plaza (Mount Octopus) that block completly the view and took away a wonderful "Sit-and-Watch"-area at the park (I was sitting here long time in my life and it´s sad that you can´t do this anymore). Most of the time the stage ist just ugly. The shows never were that top. Mickey Magical Party was a waste of time and space. And the new shows are better - but not far.
For the visitor it´s clear why there´s not that much traffic for the show on normal show times (that´s not before a firework or else after dark). You stand on the street. Without a very comfortable view (neckproblems).

Enough is enough. Now they simple rip out the castle stage??? Seriously? The benches? Cause of saftey reasons? If you know that people could climb on benches you have to put a CM on show times there to say "No". What´s the next step? Blowing up huge and ugly air bags under the suspension bridge? With this step I think the wish for a free central plaza is far away (in the same way as the wish for Hollywood Studios in WDW without a hat). It´s sad again that they rip of a possible quality entertainment stage (istead of cancel that razzle-dazzle on central plaza).
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

dagobert

Here is a new picture posted by xzerus on Disneycentralplaza.

http://disneycentralplaza.englishboard. ... es-page-12

Adam

As it currently stands, they haven't put in a printed tarp and from the last picture, it is a mixture of clear and white tarps so far.

However, what would you prefer - a white one that ruins the view, but protects the "magic" by not showing the workmen, or a clear one, which will improve the view, especially from a distance, but will show workers?

rottie155

Sorry for anybody who is also on disboards as I have just posted this there too but thought I would share with you guys and girls here...

I emailed Disney (quite a while back actually) asking about the refurbishment of the castle... Today I received the below email which a lot of people may find VERY interesting, especially considering the original refurb time was advertised as March - September..

-----------------

Dear Guest,

Thank you for contacting Disneyland Paris.

We kindly inform you that the Sleeping Beauty Castle is currently under refurbishment and the maintenance work will continue until June 2011. We would like to apologize for any disappointment that this may cause.

Please note that certain parades, attractions, restaurants and shops operate on a seasonal basis and may be closed, delayed or cancelled without prior notice for safety reasons or technical difficulties.

If you have any other question regarding your future stay with us, please feel free to send us an email.

We look forward to welcoming you to Disneyland Paris. Have a magical day!

Yours sincerely

--------------------------

This I found quite interesting and it does suggest - quite boldly actually - that the castle will be all shiny and completed before the Summer period, as we all expected.
A Little Bit Of Magic, Goes A Long Way

Josh

@dagobert
Raining once again, I see. :P But what's interesting about that photo is that another level of scaffolds seems to have been added. They seem to be progressing quite well.

@rottie
I had a feeling that that would be the case. After all, they wouldn't want it to spoil the summer months. Thanks for posting that. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Teacup

Quote from: "rottie155"We kindly inform you that the Sleeping Beauty Castle is currently under refurbishment and the maintenance work will continue until June 2011.

That has seriously cheered up my week. Have been really hoping that would be the result since we all saw the work starting early. My girls actually cried when i mentioned that they might not be able to see the castle when we go, so as long as this goes as planned this will be a very pleasent surprise.

As far as the castle stage is concerned, if they dare touch that lovely arch i'm going to be a grumpy miss. Even if they turn the area into a mini forest, they better keep it there; it's just not right to take away a scenographic marvel like that to replace it with some attraction worth a fraction of the cost.
Previous stays
Santa Fe September 1999
Cheyenne November 2002
Sequoia Lodge September 2010
New York July 2011
Magic Circus September 2012

Martyn

Can I just ask, what is Pixie Hollow?

disneyrules

I cant wait to see what the castle look likes when it finished :)
If they do change the stage into a foresty area they could make a meet and greet with the characters of bambi or even a new winnie the pooh meet and greet.
I only hope that we don\'t lose sight of one thing,that it was all started by a mouse[size=150] Walt Disney
[/size]

:pluto:  :mickey1:

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Martyn"Can I just ask, what is Pixie Hollow?

It is a fairy meet and greet area where you can meet Tinker Bell and her Neverland fairy Friends (can't remember their names, but one of every ethnicity with responsibility for water, flowers, animals, etc.)It is ok, and there is a cool light show in the Disneyland Version (whereas the WDW is a rubbish indoor version, though more appropriate for DLP). But I don't see this coming. My gut feel is we will just have a big pavement, or maybe some more plantings. I am really sad the benches are going. And what is the betting more people eat their pick nick lunches in the restaurants now.
since 2001 (many before that)

Columbiad

Is ther anychance of the Central Plaza stage coming down at all? Or is a pretty pernament structure?

luke85

Quote from: "Columbiad"Is ther anychance of the Central Plaza stage coming down at all? Or is a pretty pernament structure?

I would love for it to be gone. I used to love being able to sit on the benches in the middle of central plaza, surrounded by really nice flowerbeds, taking in the atmosphere. The stage is so ugly and cumbersome.

I'm realistic though, and i don't think they will get rid it  of it, instead they'll make a new "show" for every themed year from now until the end of time...

Josh

I think that the Central Plaza stage is good for the fireworks show (because the other stage wouldn't be suitable for it), but I agree that it is otherwise a bad place for a show.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Festival Disney

Progress! :D  :thumbs:

Source: Charecters fan on Disney Central Plaza
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days