World of Disney in Disney Village (Now Open)

Started by Owain, January 06, 2008, 12:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

The older concept for comparison:

I suppose besides losing the larger dome at the back it's not that different, just more fully-realised in these designs.

Not sure yet if I like the Hollywood style, the look of something more Parisian (if we were looking at the old concept correctly) was very tempting. In the third image in particular, the display windows and entrance there look almost identical to the Franklin Department Store facade in WDS, don't they? It looks like something that should be extending Hollywood Boulevard, not Disney Village. Although the three curved tiers under the globe and above the side entrance are gorgeous.

And I won't complain one bit if they finally break ground!

davewasbaloo

I quite like it. I prefer the earlier Parisian style more, but this is still quite a nice design that fits the area. Either way this could be good (as long as there is stuff in it worth buying). It would be nice to see some quality additions to the Village.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

Wow! That looks spectacular. The globe is a matter of execution; it could look gimmicky and ostentatious or it could look whimsically stylish.

Although it would be the second oversized globe on that row of buildings...

luke85

Quote from: "pussinboots"Although it would be the second oversized globe on that row of buildings...

Good point, hadn't thought of that... Globe overkill perhaps?

dagobert

I also didn't think about the globes, maybe it would be better to build a glass dome instead of the globe. Nevertheless I like the concept and wouldn't mind to see the globe next to the PH globe.

davewasbaloo

An etched crystal globe could be very nice.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"Not sure yet if I like the Hollywood style, the look of something more Parisian (if we were looking at the old concept correctly) was very tempting. In the third image in particular, the display windows and entrance there look almost identical to the Franklin Department Store facade in WDS, don't they? It looks like something that should be extending Hollywood Boulevard, not Disney Village. Although the three curved tiers under the globe and above the side entrance are gorgeous.

It was tempting, and yes, it does look like something that they should be building inside the Studios. But on the other hand, the Parisian department store style was very, very Val d'Europe. They're essentially the two versions of that neo-deco style Euro Disney has perfected over the years, one US West Coast, one Parisian Hausmann. But if they're building hardware stores and supermarkets in the Hausmann style 200 yards away, perhaps it's best if they make the World of Disney store stand out a little.

Also, the thing is awfully close to the Studios, of course... Maybe they're on to something trying to make it blend. Just as the architecture before the entrances of the Disneylands and Magic Kingdoms is always a variation on the Main Street style.

luke85

Quote from: "pussinboots"Also, the thing is awfully close to the Studios, of course... Maybe they're on to something trying to make it blend. Just as the architecture before the entrances of the Disneylands and Magic Kingdoms is always a variation on the Main Street style.

That's a very good point. There needs to be better flow in the area between DV and WDS, this design could be the way to make the transition less noticable.

dagobert

Quote from: "luke85"
Quote from: "pussinboots"Also, the thing is awfully close to the Studios, of course... Maybe they're on to something trying to make it blend. Just as the architecture before the entrances of the Disneylands and Magic Kingdoms is always a variation on the Main Street style.

That's a very good point. There needs to be better flow in the area between DV and WDS, this design could be the way to make the transition less noticable.

There is still the space between WDS and WoD where the second entrance to the train station is supposed to be built. I know that this will not be built in the near future, but maybe this building will be used to make it blend.

Martyn

I dont like it :(

I much prefer the 'Disney toy shop' look that the Florida shop has. Its much more 'magical' like that.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"It was tempting, and yes, it does look like something that they should be building inside the Studios. But on the other hand, the Parisian department store style was very, very Val d'Europe. They're essentially the two versions of that neo-deco style Euro Disney has perfected over the years, one US West Coast, one Parisian Hausmann. But if they're building hardware stores and supermarkets in the Hausmann style 200 yards away, perhaps it's best if they make the World of Disney store stand out a little.
True... And as a further example of how easily my opinion can be swayed, here's an excerpt from a 1992 interview I've just been typing up where Wing Chao and Robert Stern discuss why they chose American themes for the hotels:

QuoteRS: That was a very important discussion point. I think I'm correct in saying, with respect to the Theme Park, that if one sees a castle in Florida, or in Tokyo or in Los Angeles, that is really a unique experience. But these castles were based on European precedents such as Neuschwanstein, or Viollet-le-Duc or Grimm's fairy tales. How can you bring back to Europe something that was taken from Europe? But then we came to the hotels, and that was a key issue. It was determined that the hotel district had to be seen as being totally different from Paris or any other European city, and that is probably why there weren't many European architects chosen. You had to design buildings that were heavily themed in the Disney way about America. This is a resort that you reach on the subway from Paris in thirty-five minutes. You have to come out of the subway and have a completely different view on the world. Disney can't pretend to be French, it's an American idea that has become international, but it should maintain its identity, otherwise it would be like a bad French restaurant in Kansas City. The Gang of Five was very much in favor of a thoroughly American approach.

WC: It is an important point for us that doing European architecture in Europe was just not appropriate.
They're probably right. I liked the idea of Disney Village being anchored by something very Parisian, but when future visitors catch the RER to Disneyland, they should be emerging up those escalators and seeing something totally different to the streetscape they left, not some kitschy Disney interpretation of old Paris with Mickey Mouse silhouettes added.

Cannot wait for this to begin. It'll transform that area.

pussinboots

It's an excellent point, and an extremely rare case of Disney acknowledging its role in society and adjusting its plans accordingly. I suppose they caved to all those Jean Baudrillards and their gall-spewing in Le Monde.

I forgot who said it, but someone was quoted as saying they didn't want to slap a beret and a baguette on Mickey.

But yes, how awful would it be to take the RER at, say, the Galeries Lafayette and then to re-emerge at a half-assed copy of it with Mickeys in the filigree. Some escapism that would be.

But to get back to the artist impressions for a moment, it does strike me that the side of it facing the Da Vinci parking structure is a little plain compared to the other side, and that there seem to be no plans for it to envelop the Gaumont side wall as I had imagined it would for some reason. It's nitpicking at this point, but you would think that they'd want that street to become a fully functioning "high street" at some point in the future. I'm curious how they're planning to accomplish that on the long term.

Martyn

So this actually being built now? Whats happening? Seen lots & lots of plans so far, but little info on constrution dates?

Kristof

Somehow I missed this on Disney Central Plaza, posted by Grandmath on April 9th.

The construction permit is posted near the Imax Theatre.  

dagobert

Quote from: "Kristof"Somehow I missed this on Disney Central Plaza, posted by Grandmath on April 9th.

The construction permit is posted near the Imax Theatre.  

Does that mean that construction will start soon?