World of Disney in Disney Village (Now Open)

Started by Owain, January 06, 2008, 12:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadKid

Quote from: "Anthony"There's no opening day announced yet, but the latest brochure now gives the first official date: July 2012.

Oh right, thank you. :)
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

What are people expecting to see from this shop because all I can see is a lot of money being spent on a shop that will be full of the same merchandise available elsewhere in the park but more of it. All this is happening while a walk from the park to the new shop could see you breaking a leg in the craters on the walkways. Surely the money could be better spent elsewhere?

The only positive I can see is that it frees up some of the shop spaces already in Disney Village to give us some more restaurants or entertainment. Is a bigger Disney Store really that exciting?
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

BadKid

What will the shop sell? Disney merchandise from all around the world?
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

davewasbaloo

Agreed Steve, one of the most pointless investments (after Toy Story Playland of course). It will likely sell all the same rubbish I don't bother with from the other stores too. It has been at least a decade since DLP has carried qualtiy unique merchandise (other than WDCC or some of the 15th Anniversary stuff).

Bad Kid - the World of Disney store in California, Florida and New York are simply big Disney Stores, the one in New York has been known to stock park merchandise, but most of the time, it is a big Disney Store where you can get things you can get in all the other shops too.
since 2001 (many before that)

BadKid

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Agreed Steve, one of the most pointless investments (after Toy Story Playland of course). It will likely sell all the same rubbish I don't bother with from the other stores too. It has been at least a decade since DLP has carried qualtiy unique merchandise (other than WDCC or some of the 15th Anniversary stuff).

Bad Kid - the World of Disney store in California, Florida and New York are simply big Disney Stores, the one in New York has been known to stock park merchandise, but most of the time, it is a big Disney Store where you can get things you can get in all the other shops too.

Ah right! I never knew there was a Disney Store in New York! Oh I get it! Thanks for explaining.  :thumbs:
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

davewasbaloo

Still, people were getting excited about Earl of Sandwich and Starbucks in the village too. Again something I do not understand either.

Riebi

I think they should soon get a kind of master plan real. At the moment it´s more like they ad and add things that doesn´t fit that well together. And if we are honest, they haven´t had any kind of concept since they rip out the stary sky of the first years. I mean in this times you could say "I´m not a fan of this modern concept" or "I love it". Now it´s more like they never had a concept for the village.

But back to topic. If they would invest much money the design of the WoD store could lead to a more timeless village, like you can find it in anaheim. So I can have the hope, that this is the beginning of a master plan?
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

peter

I get the feeling there is a masterplan, after all, they no longer just use old space, they're clearly investig time and money

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Still, people were getting excited about Earl of Sandwich and Starbucks in the village too. Again something I do not understand either.

Agreed - we just need a Carphone Warehouse and it'll be like the average high street, just with a huge shop selling lots of ridiculous multi-coloured dreadlock hats.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

Josh

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Still, people were getting excited about Earl of Sandwich and Starbucks in the village too. Again something I do not understand either.
Because there's not many other developments to be excited about. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

davewasbaloo

Just because something is new, does not make it exciting. I am a little excited by dreams, and I am very excited about the refers, but the last project that excited me at DLP was tower of terror, the time before that was the opening of WDSP

davewasbaloo

And I am still angry star bucks robbed us of the best shop in the village.

Patrick89

I totally agree with Dave and Steve...I loved the Buffalo Trading Co. Shop, it was always the last shop I've went to before going to the hotel, and it reminded me of Frontierland and the nice time I've spent in the Park at that day. Today, we have a Starbucks, a brand you can see daily in every city. What about leaving reality, if you are confronted with a shop you have to see everyday when walking through the train station or on your way to university or your job?

Concerning the WoD-Store: As has been said, they will just offer the same stuff you can get in every other shop of the parks. There was a time when every shop was unique and had some really good articles, fitting to their theme, to offer. But as with so many other good things in the parks, this time is gone, too. Today, nearly my only motivation to go into shops is their decoration and atmosphere merging with the one outside. Unfortunatelly, most of the new shops, so in WDS, are just like four walls and some souvenir stuff inside, which is really boring. For me, the best example for the decline of the souvenir quality are the blue/red western rifles offered. Who buys such a rubbish?
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

skalos

Quote from: "Patrick89"There was a time when every shop was unique and had some really good articles, fitting to their theme, to offer. But as with so many other good things in the parks, this time is gone, too. Today, nearly my only motivation to go into shops is their decoration and atmosphere merging with the one outside. Unfortunatelly, most of the new shops, so in WDS, are just like four walls and some souvenir stuff inside, which is really boring. For me, the best example for the decline of the souvenir quality are the blue/red western rifles offered. Who buys such a rubbish?

I agree 100%!! I buy some stuff from dlrp (mostly T-shirts) but I still remember an amazing metal gun that I bought in 1993 from a shop in Fronierland! It completely made my day because I felt that it was the real thing (I was 10) purchased from a real werstern store...

paterdave2

Quote from: "skalos"
Quote from: "Patrick89"There was a time when every shop was unique and had some really good articles, fitting to their theme, to offer. But as with so many other good things in the parks, this time is gone, too. Today, nearly my only motivation to go into shops is their decoration and atmosphere merging with the one outside. Unfortunatelly, most of the new shops, so in WDS, are just like four walls and some souvenir stuff inside, which is really boring. For me, the best example for the decline of the souvenir quality are the blue/red western rifles offered. Who buys such a rubbish?

I agree 100%!! I buy some stuff from dlrp (mostly T-shirts) but I still remember an amazing metal gun that I bought in 1993 from a shop in Fronierland! It completely made my day because I felt that it was the real thing (I was 10) purchased from a real werstern store...

And that's why they now sell the cheap stuff. If a gun looks to real you could use it to rob a bank for exsample.
European laws fobid that a toy gun looks to real so they have no choise in this case.
I agree that there is quality and quality but we must be glad that they at least try to keep the items in the right stores.
I have been to parks where you can buy a gun in the mainstreet and not in the western part of the park.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm