World of Disney in Disney Village (Now Open)

Started by Owain, January 06, 2008, 12:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Ok now this has triggered a poll idea for me. I know if all the characters disappeared from the parks tomorrow, never to return I would not care.
since 2001 (many before that)

Josh

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"WoDS looks good. I hate the fact the castle is gone in favour of toons, People, there has been more to Disney than toons for well over 50 years now!
Exactly! Disney need to stop making the parks synonymous with their franchises.

And while I'm fine with them on the World of Disney (since they are going to be selling character merchandise there, after all), a lot of them seem to be Pixar characters. It looks like Mr Lasseter is at it, again. :P
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

but he feels guilty about how pixar has taken over. its not his fault that disney have made bad movies of late, and pixars definition of "weak" profits was cars. that made $500 million. dont expect disney to forget that

ed-uk

There's a giant Mickey Mouse flower bed infront of the Disneyland Hotel, and a giant Mickey Mouse clock on the hotel above the entrance to Disneyland park. Nobody has ever said about that, Disney need to stop making the parks synonymous with their franchises, or that there has been more to Disney than toons for well over 50 years.
Ed & David

Josh

Quote from: "peter"but he feels guilty about how pixar has taken over. its not his fault that disney have made bad movies of late, and pixars definition of "weak" profits was cars. that made $500 million. dont expect disney to forget that
Oh, I never knew he said that. But yeah, I know he means well. ;) He's done a lot of good, and it's great that Imagineering have him.

Quote from: "ed-uk"There's a giant Mickey Mouse flower bed infront of the Disneyland Hotel, and a giant Mickey Mouse clock on the hotel above the entrance to Disneyland park. Nobody has ever said about that, Disney need to stop making the parks synonymous with their franchises, or that there has been more to Disney than toons for well over 50 years.
Sorry. I didn't word it very well. I mean that some people seem to think that Disneyland isn't for them -- just for kids and their parents -- because they think it's just a park with rides based on characters from children's films. Obviously the film characters belong in the parks, but it's just that people get the impression that the park is 100% film characters when most attractions that appeal to everyone, whether they're based off the characters or not. I just feel that if they made more rides with original stories, there would be a greater appeal to other potential visitors than just families. Everything they've been producing lately has been about the film characters (except Buena Vista street and the new lands in Hong Kong), so I think public perceptions will change if start making more of their originals as well, again. :)

That's just my view, anyway. Sorry, I'm going off topic.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

pussinboots

I actually think the parking lot makeover is a move forward. It makes more sense this way. Disney parking lot/public area architecture should be separate from that of the parks, right? So now rather than all those Sleeping Beauty Castle images that only advertise one of the parks and could be found in an identical form at the Disneyland Park entrance anyway, we are greeted to the resort by an assortment of Disney characters. And even if you did prefer the old image, rest assured that the parking lot is still the best-looking parking lot in all of Disney, as strange as that might sound. The Magic Kingdom's is tragically archaic, Disneyland has a concrete parking structure and misguided 2000-era swirly swirl signage.

Here are the new medallions all lit up:
http://www.disneygazette.fr/preparation ... s-535.html
It's a shame LEDs don't "glow" to properly illuminate the text on the signs the way the old bulbs did, but I suppose these at least won't need to be replaced as often. Which I believe used to happen once a decade.

Oh and yes, the bas-reliefs are awesome.

PS — What ever happened to Donald, Goofy, Pluto, etc?

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Yikes. I take it all back.

I'm actually also glad they replaced those 10 million reproductions of the castle concept art (repetitive and too fussy) and have given the parking area more of its own look. You're right - for 20 years its whole style and colour scheme has only seemed to lead into Disneyland Park, rather than being a gateway to the whole resort. The character images are lifted straight from Hong Kong's esplanade so I guess they were designed for the purpose.

What I should be taking issue with is that they're the same generic images which were hung up around Toon Studio as part of the "placemaking", where they look truly dull. Parking lot banners as in-park decoration. Can we get rid of those now?

Ouchie's Mummy

Hi

Sent an email to Guest Communications asking when the World of Disney store will be opening and they said "around June 2012".  Was hoping it was going to be open for when we go in April so they are just going to have to build quicker!!!!!! :P
Linda x

MrsPirate

This is what it looked like on 15th November, it's looking good!

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018

ed-uk

It is starting to look impressive. I hope to find some good 20th merchandise in there.
Ed & David

Disney_Dreamer

It's looking good. I hope that it will be open if and when we go next summer. It will make a change from seeing scaffolding or bare patches whenever we walk through the Disney Village.

MissDisneyisMagical

wow its looking like its making good progress
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

BadKid

It looks really good! What day is it rumoured to open?
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

Anthony

There's no opening day announced yet, but the latest brochure now gives the first official date: July 2012.

peter

they timed that well, didn't they.