World of Disney in Disney Village (Now Open)

Started by Owain, January 06, 2008, 12:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paterdave2

Quote from: "Timbo"It won't be a chimney ! , It is probably a reinforced lift shaft or stairwell . They should to more to promote new projects on the hoardings , it gets people   excited about what is coming and encourages guests to return , maybe they are worried the project will be cancelled halfway through , and have to backtrack !!

I also don't think that it is a lift or stariway because it would be rather small for both of them I think.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

Anthony

It looks like the chimney/air vent. Right location, right kind of size. If they have to keep the space clear by law due to the railway station below, it makes sense they'd put this up first and then work and build around it. The only confusing thing is that it seems to be in a different location (nearer to the cinema) in the second photo. Perhaps the first photo posted here was actually taken later and it had been lifted into place? It looks to be in the right spot on that one.

Also gives us a nice little glimpse at how that godawful Gaumont "façade" will finally be mostly hidden from ground level. I wonder if the posters will come down first?

Festival Disney

Construction update, courtesy of Disney Gazette:

Source
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Riebi

It´s great to see some real building activities at the village. Hope they bring back some quality to the place.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Martyn

^ Just a shame its outside the Village ay? :lol:

pussinboots

This is the Village. I guess we might soon be able to say that the train station is in Disney Village rather than near it.

Looking at those pictures, it's striking just how central this thing is going to be. It had better look good!

paterdave2

I think they will reroute the entrance of disney village so that the store will be inside the Village.
They have redone the entrance allready in the past so why not for a second time?
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

Riebi

Quote from: "Martyn"^ Just a shame its outside the Village ay? :lol:

:lol:
Thinking of my first visit I would say even Planet Hollywood is outsite the village  :lol:

Quote from: "pussinboots"This is the Village. I guess we might soon be able to say that the train station is in Disney Village rather than near it.

Looking at those pictures, it's striking just how central this thing is going to be. It had better look good!

It has to look stunning! Thinking of Planet Hollywood in the 90th as new entrance building to the village it should be the same scale of WOW! the planet had in this times. The create the a new outline of the village and that means new entrances: One to the older village and one to the new street where some day new hotels, the tgv station and more village will be.  [-o<
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Martyn

What is going on the otherside of the pathway, by the Studios?

That whole area looks so ugly and bare, and always has done. They should expand the Village out there, similar to what was on some plans I saw a while back.

Anthony

Quote from: "Martyn"That whole area looks so ugly and bare, and always has done. They should expand the Village out there, similar to what was on some plans I saw a while back.
That's still the plan.

There's space on the opposite side reserved for a second TGV station entrance and plans have always showed an extra one or two units joined on, directly opposite World of Disney. There used to be rumours of an ESPN Zone, but who knows. It's taken the best part of 10 years to get World of Disney signed off, and this must be the most commercially viable project in the history of the world - a huge shop in the middle of a Disney resort. Expect "ugly and bare" for a few years more at least.

The only bad thing about World of Disney breaking out of the current Disney Village perimeter is that it brings the "Disney" right up next to the seedy street vendors around there. We'll have this lovely store, surrounded by laser pens and plastic Eiffel towers laid out on blankets.

pussinboots

There's another bit of ugly and bare I'm wondering about. What about the bit of Gaumont between World of Disney and the IMAX? I had kind of expected them to incorporate that into the World of Disney project, to finally finish that block in one fell swoop. Because it doesn't make a lot of sense to just keep that open. If only because they're planning a street with a full-on view of it.

As for the TGV station and Euro Disney's penchant for slowness, I do wonder who it is that wants that expansion. Because if it is the SNCF, and it would seem like it is, it might not take quite as long.

paterdave2

Well I do hope they will build something like a second street in the village. Our village is pretty small compared to downtown disney etc so keep on building I would say.
Also a new disco or something would be great but I think that is out of the question because that didn't work here.
But perhaps a theather for a cirque du soleil show I know That I would go to that because their shows are alwasy fabelous.

Timbo

I see how the structure may be an air vent for the station tunnel , but why is it added now when it was not there before  ?
The comment I made about it being a stairwell was because , sometimes if a building is a steel frame construction , the stairs need to be fire protected in a concrete casing and this is added first .

Scissorsboi

I'd say it's because before there was just paving around that area and a grate over the top, so it only carried on until surface level. Now they're building over that area the current floor level grate needs to be extended to the top of the building so that it still complies with the regulations.

I'd say it's either that or the shop fills with the air that comes out of the vent!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Timbo

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"I'd say it's because before there was just paving around that area and a grate over the top, so it only carried on until surface level. Now they're building over that area the current floor level grate needs to be extended to the top of the building so that it still complies with the regulations.

I'd say it's either that or the shop fills with the air that comes out of the vent!
I had a look at that on google earth but couldn't really see anything there , maybe we will have to wait and see !!!