Molly Brown riverboat returns!

Started by Anthony, May 16, 2005, 05:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Rumours have been circulating for a while now about an incident on board one of Frontierland's river boats, and now it seems some things can finally be confirmed...

It is believed that, this morning, a fire began on the Molly Brown as it was approaching the geysers area of the Rivers of the Far West.  The boat was immediately evacuated using the Keelboats of the River Rogue Keelboats, with the guests taken to Silver Spur Steakhouse to be looked after.  As a precautionary measure, the whole of Frontierland was also evacuated - attractions, boutiques, restaurants, everything.

The resort's fire service reportedly put the fire out immediately, arriving at the incident through Frontierland itself but also from behind the berm which seperates Frontierland from Walt Disney Studios Park.  It is rumoured, however, that the lower level of the ship has been damaged.

(photos no longer available)

It's great that the Cast Members did such an excellent job to evacuate the boat and the land, and the fire crews sorted out the problem so fast.  It's also good that it happened to the rather grubby Molly Brown and not the recently refurbished Mark Twain, if that's any consolation.

This is still the second fire in a week though, after the Eurostar fire the other day...  :(  Luckily the resort staff are as excellent as they are and both fires have seemed very minimal.

Jorien

Yes i read it on other forums that there was something happening there. Something about an electronic failure or so? Anyway, not so good news so it seems. At least the CM's were doing their work so well. Is there any news about injuries? I hope there will be none.

Jorien  :D

Anthony

There were absolutely no injuries.  :D  I've read that some people had to be treated as a precaution since they may have breathed in some smoke, but apart from that it's all good news on that front really.  :wink:

Kristof

Well, there's also good news:

The River Keelboats still work  :D

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"Well, there's also good news:

The River Keelboats still work  :D

True!  It's also very interesting that they still have people who can use them, and that they could be put into action so quickly even though they haven't been used for years...

I wish they'd sort them out and reopen them actually.  I know capacity is a problem, but if they put a bit of money in and got some extra boats or ones with a larger capacity then I think it'd do Frontierland so much good.

Sorry that this post went a bit off topic there.  :wink:

Kristof

Well, I'd say: get the fastpass machines from the Studios Tram Tour, put them at the River Keelboats and capacity problem is solved..... :idea:

Anthony

According to a forum member on DLRP Magazine, of the 250 people evacuated from the Molly Brown, only one was sent to hostipal (a pregnant English woman - sent in just for a check over and observation).  Five Cast Members were also sent to First Aid, but everyone else is apparently OK - just feeling the effects smoke inhilation and shock at the events.

Some of the children were (rather understandably) crying, but they sent characters into the Steakhouse to take their mind of things.

I'm getting worried about the Molly Brown now - it's sounding worse than I thought.  It could just be that there wasn't *that* much of a fire at all and there was just lots of smoke from the engines, but it's still very worrying...  I'd hate to have to be evacuated from the boat, even if I knew it wasn't really floating at all and the Keelboats were there on hand.  It's still a lot to go through on what's meant to be a holiday to forget about your worries.  :(

Kristof

The sight must have been wonderful.  A fleet of keelboats to the rescue!!

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"The sight must have been wonderful.  A fleet of keelboats to the rescue!!

Hahaha  :D  :roll:  :roll:  People could have died, Raptor...!  But I see your point - it must have been wonderful to see them working again after all this time, though probably not so much for the people onboard the Molly Brown!  :?  :wink:

Kristof

Well, no one died...  Besides, I was trying to explain how cool it must have been to see a fleet of ordinary boats coming your way to rescue you.....

Anthony

Yeah it is a very unique thing to happen to you in DLRP.  It's a shame they don't do on-ride photos on Molly Brown or the Keelboats, so those people could get a souvenir of their eventful day!  Or maybe some of them collected up a few of the Molly Brown's ashes before jumping into the keelboats?  :wink:

As soon as anyone finds more info or photos of the events, post em here!  I hate to once again sound quite mean, but after the quiet patch recently it's good to have something so exciting to talk about!

Kristof

I wonder how these people will get compensated.  :?:

Anthony

Annual Passes, probably...  They're unlikely to refund people's whole holidays or just their day tickets, so perhaps give them all some shopping vouchers, a Fantasia AP and a free meal in a nice restaurant?  Or am I being too generous for a theme park?  :D

Jorien

LOL!!! Sorry, i don't have anything to say. But this whole conversation just made me laugh.  :lol:  :wink:

Jorien  :D

Kristof

Quotethe recently refurbished Mark Twain

I just read your first post again, Baloo.  Is the Mark Twain back operating?  Last time I checked, it was still packed in scaffolding, but I honestly can't remember when that was...   :?

It would be good, so the Mark Twain can take over Molly Brown's job as long it's needed.