Ratatouille: L'Aventure Totalement Toquée de Rémy

Started by The Butlin Boy, October 12, 2007, 10:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

|Q|

Quote from: "peter"That always looks so right for discoveryland.

it's just a R E A A A L L Y expensive spinner

|Q|

Quote from: "Hathaway Browne"Now that wouldn't exactly work with Ratatouille, but I think it'd work great for either The Incredibles or The Avengers... and there's still plenty of space going at WDS to fit it in.

Universal has an exclusive 10 years agreement con KUKA (the robotic arm producer) :( but i'm not sure if is just a north america exclusive

Q

JelleP

RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 has a track-system like that! :')
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

dagobert

Quote from: "|Q|"
Quote from: "Hathaway Browne"Now that wouldn't exactly work with Ratatouille, but I think it'd work great for either The Incredibles or The Avengers... and there's still plenty of space going at WDS to fit it in.

Universal has an exclusive 10 years agreement con KUKA (the robotic arm producer) :( but i'm not sure if is just a north america exclusive

Q

Are you sure on that? I think Disney opened a robotic arm attraction at EPCOT's Innovention?

I highly doubt we will se such advanced technologie at Disneyland Paris in the near future. I also wouldn't be surprised if Disney cut the budget for the new Ratatouille ride technology.

The only Disney Resort that would use such technologies would be TDR and maybe the new Avatar Land and that's only because of James Cameron.

davewasbaloo

There are kuka ARM rides in Futurascope in France as well as Legoland California. The exclusivity for universal is the ability to put a kuka ARM on a track vehicle. Disney were given first refusal for this tech, and they passed it up (just like the Spiderman tech)
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"There are kuka ARM rides in Futurascope in France as well as Legoland California. The exclusivity for universal is the ability to put a kuka ARM on a track vehicle. Disney were given first refusal for this tech, and they passed it up (just like the Spiderman tech)

Why am I not surprised by that?

|Q|

EPCOT The Sum of All Thrills (and i think the robotic arms at Futurscope and Legoland) were bought before the Universal agreement. As i've understood it, the agreement states that in this kind of industry they're goin to sell robotic arms only to Universal (i don't think thay can sell arms to someone, and tell them not to use them in a certain way). I've also read that Disney actually has more arms than the one(s) used in EPCOT (i think one is used in the NEMO subs ride in DL to move some character, but not really sure about it). I also think that KUKA is not the only producer of this kind of technology.

Q

---- EDIT ----

Ok, the other KUKA arm thing used by Disney is in EPCOT too, on the Seas with Nemo and friends, and moves an angler fish.

For what i've read, yes actually the agreement is about the full ride mechanism, that's the arm-on-a-track. But that kind of technology is found in any big manufactory company (mostly cars assembling factories), so i don't think is a patent exclusive to KUKA. And i find difficult to think that the patent is *actually* about putting people sitting at the end of the arm, lol. But just speculating here. And it's getting pretty OT.

Hathaway Browne

Of course the ride technology itself doesn't mean much if the attraction theme and story aren't right.

I think I'd rather have them invest in making it a better narrative than having a whizz-bang ride system.
Marching along, we\'re Adventurers! Singing the Song of Adventurers!
Up or Down, North, South, East or West An Adventurers Life is Best!

Anthony

Interesting to see how Harry Potter uses those giant 180-degree projection domes, just like we apparently saw being constructed/tested for Ratatouille a long time ago:

http://www.orlandoinformer.com/2011/har ... oto-video/

I'm sure this ride will have plenty of whizz-bang technology behind it. It'll actually be Disney's first ride of this kind, so that's pretty big. Who'd have thought it'd be Walt Disney Studios to get it?

Hathaway Browne

Interesting. So I presume that each ride vehicle in Ratatouille will have its moment in one of these domes? I suppose the only area I can think of off the top of my head like it would be the Music Room in the Mansion, where you loop around Madam Leota, only this time we'd look outwards instead of in.

Sounds tricky, but where there's a WDI there's a way. ;)

BadKid

Quote from: "Anthony"I

Okay, how does that ride work?
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

CafeFantasia

In short. Those projection domes you see are on a carousel. There are lots of domes (like half a tennis ball) with their insides facing away from the centre of the circle, and they all slowly rotate together. And there are three of these carousels in the Forbidden Journey ride.

So, at certain points in the ride, your flying bench comes near to a carousel, and actually inserts itself inside one of the domes. Then the bench and the carousel move together, as one, so that you're totally unaware that the carousel/dome is moving. So to the riders on the bench, it feels like you've stopped, and for 30 seconds you've got your own private simulator.

Hathaway Browne

^Woah I would never have expected that. Very clever piece of kit they've got there then.

So is it expected that 'Kitchen Calamity' will have some variant of this? Plenty of possibilities if that's the case.

A car could enter a dome, and while riders are distracted, the dome rotates to let the car out into one of a few different show scenes. Maybe one takes you to Skinner's office, another towards the main dinging room and perhaps even one where you are in the cold storage room. 8)

That way you get a different experience each time.

CafeFantasia

I actually don't think our Ratatouille ride will have anything like these domes-on-a-carousel that the Forbidden Journey has. That's far too complicated and elaborate for Disneyland Paris.

To unravel the mysteries of Ratatouille, we should really look at Pooh's Hunny Hunt. There's one particular scene in the ride that's interesting. From Wikipedia:

QuoteThe honey pots then enter a dark room with three screens surrounded by trees. A swarm of bees flies through all three before Tigger comes in and starts singing and bouncing. The entire room, the trees, and the honey pots then begin to bounce with Tigger as he bounces from screen to screen. He then jumps up into one of the trees and the swarm of bees reemerges. The honey pots then go backwards down a hallway filled with branches. Tigger is seen clinging to one with a beehive stuck to his head.

What if instead of three screens, you were surrounded by one large dome? So, your group of three kitchen pots come to a halt in one room, in which you're surrounded by one large hemispherical projection screen. A 25-second video sequence plays out on the screen, and then all three pots leave the room.

Hathaway Browne

^They could then all leave in separate directions. Maybe have one go under the ovens (I'm thinking the Test Track heat and cold effects here).

BTW, I've never seen Pooh's Hunny Hunt, so I did a quick search on YouTube and found this (sorry if its been posted in the thread before):

[youtube:2sythvid]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU88Bw_ivT8[/youtube:2sythvid]

You can see the 3 screen sequence from 1:10 and on their second ride at 4:45 (from this angle you can see the bounce effect more).

I'm impressed, its like a good old fashioned dark ride but with modern technology. If the Ratatouille attraction is going to emulate it I think we should have a pretty decent attraction.