Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011)

Started by lil-shawn, October 07, 2007, 12:34:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura678

I'm just back from seeing it in 3D

Mixed thoughts on it.. Yes it was good... But not as good as the previous ones... Thats just my opinion...

My dad did prefer it to dead mans chest though...

The music was great.
[size=150]All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney[/size]

-breeno-

Reviews here (and elsewhere I've read) have been mixed then?  I'd be lying if I were to say I'm surprised.

Going see this tonight at the 7pm showing in my town (non IMAX, 2D).  I want this to be a good film, I really do, but I'm prepared for it to be one big disappointment.  I want this to be a night of me coming back to my childhood and Pirates of the Caribbean was the biggest thing in my life film-wise, not a night of me wishing the series stopped after Black Pearl (a la DMC's and AWE's premier viewings).

What I wish/hope to see tonight:
- A fun, exciting and original story like Curse of the Black Pearl's was.
- Little to no references of the previous two films (this I know won't happen though, shame).
- Johnny Depp to show me why he was my favourite actor back in 2003.
- An amazing soundtrack from the fantastic Hans Zimmer.
- A reminder that Pirates of the Caribbean is still an amazing film franchise, and the last two were mistakes.

What I expect to see tonight:
- A rushed, dull and poorly wrote story.
- An unoriginal plot in terms of mermaids/zombies etc that aren't expressed into any detail, or poorly done.
- Over-acted, annoying Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow like what we saw in Dead Man's Chest and At World's End.
- Another reason why I cannot stand Penelope Cruz's acting.
- Former great characters such as Barbossa ruined.
- A reason not to pick up on DVD/Blu Ray.

Just throwing my two cents in prior to viewing, I will return either tonight or tomorrow with my views on the film.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Pete's Dragon

Not a good film. During the action sequences it felt more like 'what cool thing could Jack do next'. A lot of the time it made no sense.

Also too many sub-plots that weren't given enough screen time or explanation and therefor felt out of place. The Spanish, Barbosa and Gibbs, the preacher and the mermaid, Jack and Angelica, Angelica and Blackbeard. And those are just the ones off the top of my head.

The biggest crime was the music. I swear there was a bit when they walk through a field and for some reason the dramatic music starts. Why?? Run out of ideas, hit the wrong switch??

Admittedly the last 5 minutes were funny. Funny. That's another point, it wasn't funny. A mild snicker here and there, but on the whole a very serious film.

The same tone as the 3rd film, but a better, more structured plot but also not as funny.

Sigh - 5/10. Would have been 4 but the mermaid attack was pretty good.

-breeno-

I'm just back from seeing it myself and like yourself PD, I share similar views.

There's a lot of things wrong with this movie in my opinion, I'll try and keep this short (famous last words) but there's a lot on my mind (warning, here be spoilers).

[spoiler:3k6ss38u]I'll start from the top, the main plot, it was terrible.  Why did it have to be the fountain of youth, one of the most famous stories in fiction?  I've been voicing this opinion since the moment I heard this was going to be the film's story, If they managed to create a great, original and creative story of the Pearl's curse in the first film, why not here?  But I thought "alright, I'm not happy with it but I'll go with it" in the hope maybe we'll get a fleshed out explanation of the fountain with motives etc, but we aren't.  Another thing is Blackbeard, why?  Why use the most famous pirate in the history of fiction?  You created Jack Sparrow, you created Barbossa, would it have hurt so much to create a brand new character, give him a fearsome history and use him?

Next up in my rant is characters.  I hated Angelica with a passion on so many levels.  Blackbeard's daughter?  Really?  Did that have any relevance at all the to story with the exception of the finale?  Not really.  The worst however with this character is the fact they made her a love interest for Jack.  NO.  If it wasn't for the ending Jack's character - in my opinion the best character to be constructed from any movie in the past 10 years - was as good as dead for me.  If there's anything we learned from Curse of the Black Pearl it's that Jack Sparrow is a selfish, determined but extremely cunning character whose only love is his ship.  It is this persona that we all fall in love with and see him almost as the ultimate anti-hero.  If you cast your mind back to Tortuga you'll remember the two women who slapped him ("I'm not sure I deserved that - I may have deserved that"), thus confirming he's not the type for settling down/love.  The Jack we know and I love doesn't need anyone, he only needs himself and his Pearl.  There were times I thought this was lost (such as the feelings confessing with Gibbs, the scene when she drinks from the fountain, sorta the end) but hints that he's still the character he is.  Another film will ruin this completely though I'm sure.  Aside from her there's the matter of the Spanish, Blackbeard and the ruddy king of England.  The inclusion of the Spanish was probably the most pointless in the entire film, why they needed to include them I'll never know, if anything this would have been a better way to link Angelica into the story instead of via Blackbeard.  She could have been an infamous Spanish pirate, in search for the fountain but on the run from Spanish military.  Speaking of Blackbeard I've already spoke of my disliking for his inclusion but there is so much more.  Call me old fashioned but when I picture Blackbeard - the most infamous and feared pirate in the legends - I expected something a bit more, fearsome.  Bigger build, bigger beard, kinda like Barbossa.  Ian McShane was a terrible casting idea for the character, heck his zombie crewman would have been a better person to play the character.  The topic of Barbossa brings me to my next point, why join the british navy?  Alright, I had a big punt from the start he was still a pirate and was going to turn on them but still, the only reason I can think of for him being with them is for that they had an excuse to film a nearly 40 minute scene in London (which I actually liked!  Surprisingly).  I feel there were other ways Barbossa could have been used.  I don't care what you say there's surely no way a king would negotiate with a pirate - no matter how much corruption there is.  Although these are pretty bad character/sub-plot choices the worst, the VERY VERY worst was the mermaids, and the love story between one of them and who I simply refer to as "Holy Man".  After the long-winded the boring romance from the last two movies I've had enough with love in my Pirate movies.  There were far too many times they got screen time and I just wish Blackbeard would prove that he was "the very bad man" he claimed to be.  Holy Man must have really been the second coming of Jesus some of the things he managed to survive.

That's my very main complaints dealt with but there are a few off the top of my head that I didn't like.  Blackbeard's super fire weapon on his ship was ridiculous, I felt there weren't enough sword fights and as Jack put it "A bottle?  Why is the Black Pearl in a bottle?"  That for me took the absolute biscuit in Blackbeard's mess of a story.  Simply stupid.

Saying all this, despite everything that I have said, I still prefer this film over the last two; and I think that is solely because of Johnny Depp.  For me he brought himself back up from his dismal performances in the Dead's Man Chest and At World's End and gave Sparrow a worthy performance.  It wasn't as good as when I first met him but in the opening London scene I felt like the days of 2003 were back.  It just a shame the movie peaked about 25 minutes in and began sinking as soon as Penelope Cruz showed her face (or shadow, whatever).

So such for laughs let's have a look at my hopes/predictions and put some comments to them.

QuoteWhat I wish/hope to see tonight:
- A fun, exciting and original story like Curse of the Black Pearl's was.
From the London scene yes.  For the rest of the movie a big no no.

Quote- Little to no references of the previous two films (this I know won't happen though, shame).
With the obvious exception of Barbossa being alive and well this actually happened.  Kudos on that point at least!

Quote- Johnny Depp to show me why he was my favourite actor back in 2003.
Yeah I'd say that, I thought he was much better than the last two excuses.

Quote- An amazing soundtrack from the fantastic Hans Zimmer.
Forgetful.  With the exception of Blackbeard's theme (which I'm guessing is what it's called, the one they played when Jack was forced to work on his ship) I can't think of a single track that wasn't originally from the first movie.  I'm disappointed. Zimmer.

Quote- A reminder that Pirates of the Caribbean is still an amazing film franchise, and the last two were mistakes.
Mixed.  I think they've accepted that DMC and AWE were bad and wanted to make amends, but they blew this opportunity.

QuoteWhat I expect to see tonight:
- A rushed, dull and poorly wrote story.
Bingo!

Quote- An unoriginal plot in terms of mermaids/zombies etc that aren't expressed into any detail, or poorly done.
Ding ding ding!

Quote- Over-acted, annoying Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow like what we saw in Dead Man's Chest and At World's End.
Thankfully not, see above.

Quote- Another reason why I cannot stand Penelope Cruz's acting.
Oh indeed, that Spanish accent get's right up my nose.

Quote- Former great characters such as Barbossa ruined.
Again mixed, didn't like the fact he joined the British navy but redeemed himself at the end.  Still think it could have been done a lot better.

Quote- A reason not to pick up on DVD/Blu Ray.
Only thing that will probably convince me to buy this on Blu Ray is if it's going for next to nothing in Cex (or my mum wants to buy it, who loved it).

So after all that (if you survived reading it that is, I just had a look at it in the preview, ouch!) my final opinion.  To keep it short and sweet, it's better than the last two, but there are a lot of things wrong with it.

5.0/10[/spoiler:3k6ss38u]
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

littlemermaid83

Going to watch it tomorrow and after reading these reviews not sure if I'm excited or not now.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

dagobert

It seems the fourth movie of Pirates of the Caribbean is very successful around the globe:

The Johnny Depp tentpole smashes records overseas, where it earns $256.3 million to become top international debut of all time; bows to a softer $90.1 million in North America.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/p ... 464-191018

DLP-Photos.com

I saw it on sunday evening and I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised - it is by far the second best of the series only outclassed by the first one which is still waaaaay better than this one.

Depp is great as always as is McShane, Rush and McNally who returns as Gibbs - actually the only one who disappointed me a bit was the dear Penelope.. For me she just didn't fit the role in contradiction to Depp - you can really feel how much he loves Jack and how comfortable he is playing him.

[spoiler:3no2j0g1]I was happy to see far less supernatural CGI stuff (Giant Tia Dalma - oh god that was bad :lol:) and more focus on great characters. The mermaids were probably the best supporting "character" ever created for the series - the Mermaid attack scene was spectacular. The idea of having these sexy mermaids being "man-eaters" - if Elliot and Russo wouldn't come up with this obvious yet unused idea, who would?[/spoiler:3no2j0g1]

Many danish reviews had said it was boring and I would agree that it was long and felt long, but it never got boring to me.

4/6
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "forza_united"I saw it on sunday evening and I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised - it is by far the second best of the series only outclassed by the first one which is still waaaaay better than this one.

Depp is great as always as is McShane, Rush and McNally who returns as Gibbs - actually the only one who disappointed me a bit was the dear Penelope.. For me she just didn't fit the role in contradiction to Depp - you can really feel how much he loves Jack and how comfortable he is playing him.

[spoiler:15cfemho]I was happy to see far less supernatural CGI stuff (Giant Tia Dalma - oh god that was bad :lol:) and more focus on great characters. The mermaids were probably the best supporting "character" ever created for the series - the Mermaid attack scene was spectacular. The idea of having these sexy mermaids being "man-eaters" - if Elliot and Russo wouldn't come up with this obvious yet unused idea, who would?[/spoiler:15cfemho]

Many danish reviews had said it was boring and I would agree that it was long and felt long, but it never got boring to me.

4/6

[spoiler:15cfemho]Less supernatural stuff? Mermaids, Voodoo, magic swords that control ships, ships in bottles, Fountain of Youth. You call that less??  8)[/spoiler:15cfemho]

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"
Quote from: "forza_united"I saw it on sunday evening and I have to say that I was pleasantly suprised - it is by far the second best of the series only outclassed by the first one which is still waaaaay better than this one.

[spoiler:jdq07btb]I was happy to see far less supernatural CGI stuff (Giant Tia Dalma - oh god that was bad :lol:) and more focus on great characters. The mermaids were probably the best supporting "character" ever created for the series - the Mermaid attack scene was spectacular. The idea of having these sexy mermaids being "man-eaters" - if Elliot and Russo wouldn't come up with this obvious yet unused idea, who would?[/spoiler:jdq07btb]

4/6

[spoiler:jdq07btb]Less supernatural stuff? Mermaids, Voodoo, magic swords that control ships, ships in bottles, Fountain of Youth. You call that less??  8)[/spoiler:jdq07btb]

[spoiler:jdq07btb]Well, maybe not less supernatural stuff - but less stupid CGI without a mythical substance... Maybe all that got me positive was the fact that the Giant Tia Dalma from the thirds was the single most stupid thing I have ever seen. I didn't see something that stupid. The supernatural stuff in this one was far more like the first one - with exception of the magic sword and ships in bottles they all build on myths from that time.[/spoiler:jdq07btb]
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

littlemermaid83

Ok I watched it on Tuesday and ok it wasn't as great as the first one, but I really enjoyed it. I actually found parts of the film really funny aswell. Lived upto my expectations and can't wait for the next one.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

dagobert

Yetsterday we have finally seen the movie and we liked it a lot. It was so much better than part two and three, but The Curse of the Black Pearl is still the best one. Unfortunately we had to watch it in 3D to see the original version. I really don't get why that movie was shown in 3D. Except for Tron and Avatar I've seen no movie that had good 3D effect. If you haven't seen it already, save the extra money and watch it in 2D.

The beginning of the movie was a little bit too much for me. The chase through London was great, but the scene with the king when Jack wanted to get the dessert was too funny. I already thought that they will ruin the movie.

I also think that too much of the movie was shot on land, I missed more scenes on sea, but nevertheless it was a very entertaining movie.
The mermaids were really cool and the soundtrack was as great as in the last movies. Hopefully Disney will do another one and I wouldn't mind if they will keep Rob Marshall. He did a great job.

I'm glad Will and Elizabeth are gone, but it is sad that Pintel and Ragetti and the two Navy soldiers aren't part of the movie anymore. Do you think there is a possibility that they are caught on the Black Pearl like the Jack the Monkey, although Barbossa mentioned that he is the only one who survived the attack of Blackbeard?

JelleP

Quote from: "dagobert"... but it is sad that Pintel and Ragetti and the two Navy soldiers aren't part of the movie anymore. Do you think there is a possibility that they are caught on the Black Pearl like the Jack the Monkey, although Barbossa mentioned that he is the only one who survived the attack of Blackbeard?
It's not a very bad idea, at all! But I read somewhere that the actor for Pinter or Ragetti (don't remenber which of those two) didn't want to be a part of the fourth movie, so I guess that's why they decided to leave them out. It's a shame, I admit...
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

dagobert

POTC 4 surpassed the $900 mio and it's the most successful Disney movie outside the US. But in the US I would consider it a failure compared to the other movies. It's $100 mio away from "At World's End", the weakest domestic box office for a POTC movie so far. Tron: Legacy made over $170 mio and it is considered as a failure by Disney. I'm sure Disney will do a fifth and maybe even a sixth POTC movie and I really hope they make a third Tron as well.

I think there is no doubt that POTC 4 will make over $1 billion.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/b ... ean-202030

svenneke1

Last saturday the movie passed the $1 billion mark!  :D/

Saw it a while ago, loved it! It really is better than 'At Worlds End'. But still, the first one stays my favorite! :)

The Helmsman

The blu ray just arrived today  :D/  

http://instagr.am/p/NC25j/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~It Be Too Late To Alter Course~