Star Tours enhancement/upgrade (EEP)

Started by Anthony, April 23, 2005, 08:27:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Photos Magiques Twitter:
Star Tours II not planned for Disneyland Paris, according to Euro Disney CEO Philippe Gas.

https://twitter.com/photosmagiques/stat ... 2307579905

Columbiad

What a shame. A refurb is due at least!

Josh

I expected as much. I'm sure we'll get it eventually, though.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

mehdi5

Stupid move on their part really in my opinion.

dagobert

Quote from: "mehdi5"Stupid move on their part really in my opinion.

Totally agree. I can't imagine that it would be so expensive to upgrade Star Tours. The attraction is in a really bad state, they fixed broken parts with Duct Tape, but it seems we have to live with the current ride for a few more years.

I'm sure one day, when WDW and DL get Star Tour 3, DLRP will receive ST 2. Maybe it is still on the table, but ED SCA will not get us too excited.

Pete's Dragon

Well, this news article will depress you even more now we know we're not getting it

QuoteThe first departure date for Star Tours: The Adventures Continue is rapidly approaching at both Disneyland in Anaheim, California and Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. But where will the adventures take us? We already know that the totally revamped 3D thrill ride will take its riders on upwards of 50 different adventures each time they get on and now we've got the full list of planets and destinations that riders will be traveling to. Check them out after the break.

Here are the locations that Star Tours: The Adventures Continue will go to.
 Tatooine for the Boonta Eve Podrace
 Coruscant
 Naboo
 Kashyyyk
 Hoth
 The Death Star over Geonosis

And here's an image of the departure board:

And here's the secondary characters who'll be appearing

R2-D2
 C-3PO
 Ace (AC-38) (New character, the pilot)
 Spokesbot Aly San San (New character, voiced by Allison Janney)
 Darth Vader
 Stormtroopers
 Skytroopers (New characters)
 Boba Fett
 Yoda
 Admiral Ackbar
 Princess Leia
 Chewbacca

Yeeeee-haaaaaa !!!!!  :(

dagobert

I think the new version of ST will be amazing, each ride will be different.

Did TDR already announce ST II? Maybe when Star Tours 2 is coming to Tokyo, it will also come to Paris, because both companies could share the costs and so it will be cheaper.

dagobert

Kristof hast just posted in his press event trip report that Philippe Gas, CEO of Euro Disney SCA, has confirmed that Star Tours 2 will not come to DLRP for at least the next seven years!!

It's really bad that DLRP will not get Star Tours II for another 7 years. It seems DLRP is stuck with that broken and with duct tape fixed attraction. I always thought ST 2 would be perfect for the 20th birthday, since it can be considered as a new attraction. That's really a big disappointment!!! Hopefully the current ride will get a refurb, because it is in a bad condition.

Anthony

Updated the topic title to celebrate.

It's going to be very strange to still have the 1987 Star Tours in 2018. Maybe regular guests won't know that there's a massively updated version out there, but will they still be drawn to the original in seven years' time? With this and Captain EO on an indefinite return, that corner of Discoveryland is going to be more like a time machine than Le Visionarium ever was.

But still, if Star Tours: The Adventures Continue really is eye-wateringly expensive, maybe it's best DLP spend any investment packages for new attractions elsewhere for now, like at the Studios? Presuming that they're going to get investment packages.

davewasbaloo

Could have made a quip about preferring a Star Tours refurb to TSPL, but it would have been too easy....
since 2001 (many before that)

CafeFantasia

So if Star Tours II isn't coming for the next 7 years, what attractions are? Is Ratatouille going to open to celebrate the Resort's 20th birthday? At the very least, Pirates should get a Jack Sparrow upgrade.

peter

It probably is really expensive. The new version is in 3d, meaning a new projection system, new designs for inside space port, so that's a complete refit, and I heard that for one reason or another, the actual simulators need to be changed for the ride. It's gotta cost 60 million plus

Martyn

Anyone else think this could point to its removal?

Disneyland Paris Treasures

Quote from: "Martyn"Anyone else think this could point to its removal?
No.

dagobert

Quote from: "Martyn"Anyone else think this could point to its removal?

I'm sure that Star Tours will stay, it is such an important attraction for Disney and even if it is nearly breaking apart, Disney will not remove it. That would mean less attractions and since ED SCA can't afford building new ones they will try everything to keep their rides as long as possible. Star Wars is a huge franchise and makes a lot of money with merchandise and I'm sure ED SCA still earns a lot money with the Star Tours/Star Wars merchandise sold there. And one day in seven years Disney will need the building and the simulators to upgrade the attraction to ST II.

Do you know if George Lucas has to say something when it comes to removing or replacing Star Tours? I can imagine he would be very disappointed if he would see the ride in its current state.