Pirates of the Carribean | official topic

Started by Owain, January 05, 2007, 12:41:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Quote from: "madame_leota"
Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "RockNRoller"Why just Jack I say. Why not replace the red head with Kierra Knightley [-o<
Because she's not a redhead! 'La Rouquine' should stay!

La Square-Jawed Brunette just isn't the same. :wink:

we wants the stick insect, we wants the stick insect. :D

sorry thats just what came to mind when i read that... :)
[...]

Haha!

I'm all for Jack Sparrow too (yes, it's sacrilege, but if even the SoCa Disneyland fans have gotten over it...), but I do wonder how they would manage with the current animatronics (and the Davy Jones effect), considering Paris' Pirates of the Caribbean presents the scenes in a reversed order, with the caves at the end instead of at the beginning. Where to put the final, singing Jack? How would the ominous Davy Jones effect fit into a ride with no gloomy build-up at the beginning?

madame_leota

Quote from: "swity"There you might be right. But they could try to let Jack look more old-fashioned then if you know what I mean. If they wouldn't try to let him look like the real Jake but more like all the other characters in the ride it could work.

maybe just have a few costume makeovers at first to see how it goes but keep the anamatronics that are there now.

The Butlin Boy

I'm all for the film additions, as long as the whole ride gets a really good refurb with them, and that they are only adding to the ride, and not taking away/replacing. However, I'm not sure how they could do Davy Jones here, perhaps we could have our own unique DJ Animatronic somewhere in the ride :)

Maarten

I've been a fan of the updated Pirates attraction after seeing it in Orlando in 2006. The ride itself was crap compared to Paris, but the Davy Jones projection, Barbossa and Jack Sparrow animatronics where top notch in my opinion. Bring it on I would say. For those who have seen the films it will be a nice addition since they will recognise the characters, for those who are not familiar with the films they will be just a few of the many other animatronics.

However, if they intend to update Pirates, why now? Its a bit late, isn't it?

Quote from: "pussinboots"Where to put the final, singing Jack? How would the ominous Davy Jones effect fit into a ride with no gloomy build-up at the beginning?

The singing Jack between the treasures could be located between the treasures in the last caves of the Parisian version right? I'm not sure what his lyrics is, but that could be changed. That way it seems Jack found the treasures and gold he has been looking for after all... it would even make the storyline clearer. However, I really don't know where to put the Davy Jones projection really.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Maarten"The singing Jack between the treasures could be located between the treasures in the last caves of the Parisian version right? I'm not sure what his lyrics is, but that could be changed. That way it seems Jack found the treasures and gold he has been looking for after all... it would even make the storyline clearer. However, I really don't know where to put the Davy Jones projection really.

I'm not sure about this at all (someone like DavidG80 will undoubtedly know), but I've always assumed that both the "traveling up the waterfall" part and the final drop represent a bit of time travel, and that -- a touch cynically -- the final rooms with the skeletons are the present day remains of the piratey world we just traveled through. If I'm correct, putting the final Jack there would ruin the continuity. But I'm sure the Imagineers could think of something.

Mr_B

I love the ride so much as it is personally but I have to admit that if they could put a small scene in somewhere with Jack etc my children would be over the moon. As other people have stated theres a whole generation of younger people who really associate Pirates in general with the films.

Note sure where they could fit it in to be honest though without ruining it for us old school POTC ride fans  :wink:

Mr_B
From the mansion on the hill
Shrieks of laughter break the still
Ghoulish figures start to wake
Makes your knees begin to quake

DLRP - We\'ve been there one or two times .....

mehdi5

Quote from: "Mr_B"I love the ride so much as it is personally but I have to admit that if they could put a small scene in somewhere with Jack etc my children would be over the moon. As other people have stated theres a whole generation of younger people who really associate Pirates in general with the films.

Note sure where they could fit it in to be honest though without ruining it for us old school POTC ride fans  :wink:

Mr_B
I think Disney is less worried about the older guests, more and more people that are coming are completely new to the park and won't even notice that if Jack was added that he wasn't there at first, i think DLP would rather merge in with the movies than worrying about continuinity or something like that. Technology is evolving and so is publicity and Disneyland, so i think maybe soon or with Pirates 4, eventually our ride will be updated.

oojijay

POTC's closed for about a fortnight in January (when I'm there, boo  :( ), do you think they'll be adding Jack then? Or is that how long it's usually closed for every so often?
Plus, can you still eat in the blue lagoon while POTC's closed?

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "oojijay"POTC's closed for about a fortnight in January (when I'm there, boo  :( ), do you think they'll be adding Jack then? Or is that how long it's usually closed for every so often?
Plus, can you still eat in the blue lagoon while POTC's closed?

I don't think that they'll be adding Jack, I reckon it'll just be a normal refurb. Blue lagoon should remain open though :wink:

Kristof

It's the normal annual refurb but Blue Lagoon and Le Coffre du Capitaine will be closed during that time.

oojijay

Quote from: "Kristof"It's the normal annual refurb but Blue Lagoon and Le Coffre du Capitaine will be closed during that time.

Aw, no way! Have never tried Blue Lagoon, was rather looking forward to it. Oh well!

sav182

I know this is slightly off the subject of Jack, but could anyone possibly tell me the actual lay out of POTC please?

I went on it a couple of years ago, but I don't remember where the drops are.
I should probably mention that I am petrified of big rides, drops in particular!

I am going back in November this year and am determined to go on it but would like to know where the drops are if anyone has an opinion on which of the three (I think there are three) is the worst.
Grumpy, my Prince Charming!!!!

RnRCj

There are actually two drops, but they're both very tame. The first one comes when you are approaching a dark tunnel in the prison scene, and the second when you approach another dark tunnel in the fire scene. They're really nothing to worry about. The first one is probably about 15-20 feet tall, the second about 10 or even 5 feet tall.

sav182

Thank you very much, I know I must sound so silly. But I am really am such a wimp, I came off Big Thunder Mountain a wreck!

For some reason I thought there were three drops, one right at the beginning. Oh well, it really is a blur of when I went on it.

Thanks again.
Grumpy, my Prince Charming!!!!

Elaine

After you go up in your boat, just when you come out of that bit, and before you get into the fort scenes, there is a little ramp your boat goes down, but its not a drop, just a slope really. Is that what you remembered? This is before the prison scene drop (which is the one my stomach goes all funny on  :lol: ) and the fire scene drop.

Elaine