Toon Studio placemaking

Started by Anthony, March 14, 2005, 12:06:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Well I think I prefer a yellow buidling.

Don't forget it won't be plain building like Animagique:

- It will get the huge Crush fresco
- The coralreef with the vehicles coming out of the building
- The complete right side of the building is hidden by the Flying Carpets backdrop.

So it won't be that bad?  Anyone else?

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"Don't forget it won't be plain building like Animagique:

- It will get the huge Crush fresco
- The coralreef with the vehicles coming out of the building
- The complete right side of the building is hidden by the Flying Carpets backdrop.
Yeah, I guess it won't be that plain, but it'll still make the Studios a bit bland having the same yellow buildings everywhere.  This could have been their chance to bring in some new colours/designs and make the Studios more varied.  One of the major problems is that there isn't enough difference between the "zones", so I just don't understand why they're building *another* yellow building.

I also thought the industrial look would suit the "backlot" style of Toon Studios.  A clean, yellow building could look toon-ish too, but I just don't think it'll be as effective.

Oh well, at least the building will have some detail to it (unlike, say, Armageddon).

Anyone else got any thoughts about this?

I'm looking forward to seeing the track arrive and being assembled.  Any guesses for the colour?  My money's on black.  :lol:  :P

Kristof

Something else from http://www.wdsfans.com

Blue construction fences have been erected behind the Art of Disney Animation. Grandmath speculates on Disney Central Plaza that the pathway behind this building (which is only used by Cast Members for the moment) could be enlarged to connect Production Courtyard with Toon Studios. Also according to him has EDLI (Euro Disneyland Imagineering) been toying around with the idea of placing an improved version of the Chicken Little set on a path like this...

Anthony

Cool!  That would definately improve guest flow when they open up Toon Studios (it's sure to be one of the busiest parts of the park).

It would also make the STT area more of a "hub" which would be nice, and a Chicken Little street set would be cool because of the cartoony look of the movie...  :D

Maarten

Well, if the rumour turns out to be true, I hope it will not look as flat as the current photolocation. Hopefully the will use some real materials, and more depth, like its a real set.

Kristof

Actually, the Chicken Little set has been designed like this to maintain the style of the movie.  It is hand painted, unlike the other photo sets which are digital prints.  The Chicken Little set looks fine as it is to me.  :)

Anthony

It looks good as a temporary set, but I agree with Maarten - if they do a permanent version, they'll need to make it more realistic and with much more detail.  A few cameras and some filming equipment would be good too, just to make the theme/story really clear...

Maarten

Quote from: "Baloo"It looks good as a temporary set, but I agree with Maarten - if they do a permanent version, they'll need to make it more realistic and with much more detail.  A few cameras and some filming equipment would be good too, just to make the theme/story really clear...

Yes, I didn't think about the film equipment before, but it really seems like a perfect fit. By the way, a few weeks ago, I read the rumour that the Imagineers were toying with adding a Chicken Little themed playground to the Toon Studios. Maybe we will see this (small) playground somewhere around the back of the Art of Disney Animation building.

Also, has someone ever heard more news about the rumoured restaurant at Toon Studios? Maybe EuroDisney S.C.A. doesn't have any money left anymore with all these projects going on, but do you think a new restaurant is necessary after Toon Studios and the Tower will open in 2007? I mean, if the attendance will rise, they can't handle the guests with some trucks right?

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"Yes, I didn't think about the film equipment before, but it really seems like a perfect fit. By the way, a few weeks ago, I read the rumour that the Imagineers were toying with adding a Chicken Little themed playground to the Toon Studios. Maybe we will see this (small) playground somewhere around the back of the Art of Disney Animation building.
Yes, I think that was reported in either this topic or the Improvements one - maybe the playground idea morphed into a street set?  I guess they could include some kind of play area within the street set...  That'd be great, since even after Toon Studios opens, very young kids will still have nothing much to do in the park.

Quote from: "Maarten"Also, has someone ever heard more news about the rumoured restaurant at Toon Studios? Maybe EuroDisney S.C.A. doesn't have any money left anymore with all these projects going on, but do you think a new restaurant is necessary after Toon Studios and the Tower will open in 2007? I mean, if the attendance will rise, they can't handle the guests with some trucks right?
I never heard more about it - the last we heard was that they might be turning part of the ImagiNations costuming building into a restaurant, which seems a bit odd to me, even if that building is using up a lot of valuable space.

The Studios will be crying out for a new restaurant in 2007/08, I'd actually suggest them to put the rumoured 2009 attraction on hold and spend some money on a really excellent restaurant for Toon Studios instead.  Maybe one that's mainly table service but also has a fast food counter, like the new Animal Kingdom restaurant?  They'll need something more than just a Studio Catering van for Animation Courtyard, anyway!  :? Imagine the chaos...

experiment627

Quote from: "Baloo"The Studios will be crying out for a new restaurant in 2007/08

Considering how much they scaled back the "Studio Catering" trucks as well as the limited hours of other venues (like Backlot Express and Café des Cascadeurs) the need for another restaurant might not be *that* strong. Though I'd be surprised if Disney wasn't thinking of it.

Anyway, my guess would be that they're going to wait to see how the new attractions will affect the park - not only if they can attract more guests, but also if the average time a guest spends in the Studios increases - before they go ahead with another eatery.

Kristof

I haven't seen Café des Cascadeurs open for over a year now.  :(

Kristof

Construction photos from 26 March 2006

Anthony

Whoa!  It's all gone a bit like ToT was last year - wire mesh all over the place!

What's the huge amount of mesh/rods in the floor of the building for?  Are they putting down another layer of concrete?

Patrick

By the looks of it it would seem that way, now I'm in a way confused as to how the footers for the coaster track will fit in, unless of course they are going to build it into the concrete on the floor, which would seem like something different to build a coaster.  Oh well I'm sure they know what they are doing :) .

Jon

does anyone have a site plan so i can get an idea how it will look?
If we don\'t have the key, we can\'t open whatever it is we don\'t have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don\'t have, without first having found the key what unlocks it?