The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Started by Anthony, March 12, 2005, 04:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poppy The Monkey

I did Tower of Terror 7 times yesterday during the cast member previews.  It is the best ride I've ever been on at DLRP, not done the american versions, but the theming, drop, and ride in general is incredible.

The library is in French with English subtitles, and the elevator itself is also all in French.

Great too that there was no queue all day, it was amazing.

All the ride itself is finished, just the shop and gardens and outside queue needs to be completed.

I'm still on a high!!  :D  :D

Kristof

I've been told that the dust & spiderweb team will invade the attraction the coming week or next week.  :wink:

Filip

UHHHHH no.... That is the worst thing. TV with subtitles somehow ok. But,  Can someone explain me why the elevator is in French??? I am not going to DLRP next year if it is so. Better to Orlando for the same money.

Kristof

Quote from: "Filip"UHHHHH no.... That is the worst thing. TV with subtitles somehow ok. But,  Can someone explain me why the elevator is in French??? I am not going to DLRP next year if it is so. Better to Orlando for the same money.

Because the park is build in France.  Get over it.  :wink:

Maarten

Quote from: "raptor1982"
Quote from: "Filip"UHHHHH no.... That is the worst thing. TV with subtitles somehow ok. But,  Can someone explain me why the elevator is in French??? I am not going to DLRP next year if it is so. Better to Orlando for the same money.

Because the park is build in France.  Get over it.  :wink:

But that doesn't mean they should ingnore the international audience. Why even bother some spiderwebs if a large part of the parkguests don't even understand the spiel?

Filip

Yes, but now they will face the same problem as in Phantom Manor. Anybody who does not speak french (50%) will not know what is happening... stupid. They should made at least 2 elevators french and one english or the other way. why having 3elevators in french. It wont cost any money having one in english. Still i think that even some french people would still go for the english one, as it sounds original and better. Is it now 100% sure they are all in french?

Jon

i had always assumed that they would do like they used to do with the studio tram tour and split the queues by language then send the english speakers into one library and french into the other then route the ground floor lift stations for english and 1st floor stations for french........obviously not:'(
If we don\'t have the key, we can\'t open whatever it is we don\'t have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don\'t have, without first having found the key what unlocks it?

PetiteSirene

I personally am not all that bothered about what language the ride is in... I live in Belgium and am quite used to not understanding stuff... Plus out of the 2 languages of belgium I favour the French language...

I personally think that saying 'I'm not going on a ride because its not in my language' Is really rather silly, yes DLRP does have a lot of English guests... However so do Die Efteling, I still went on all the rides that had storylines (the flying dutchman, the hex like ride) I still enjoyed them even though everything was in Dutch. The same went for Walibi (back when I went 6 Flags) I didnt understand the plot at all for the Tutenkamun (sorry bad spelling) ride, now back then I didnt live in belgium and my understanding of French was really bad...

Assuming that everything is going to be in english is a little bit ignorant, no offence but I certainly wouldnt expect to go to Alton Towers and expect all the rides to have a french option, you shouldnt expect it the other way around even if English is considered an 'international language'.

Edit: Please excuse bad spelling, I am fluey  :(

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Filip

Yes, but Disneyland is NOT a french park, is it? Its just built in France. I dont care if I go to Disneyland Paris or if it was Disneyland Prague. I still go there because it is Disneyland. As MOST people do. That is why they can not say its "our" french park and that is why we have stuff in french. Its just their luck that it was built in Paris. IF it was in Prague, would everything be in Czech then???? and Prague is the middle of Europe

PetiteSirene

Erm... okay... let me put it this way... 6 flags Belgium wasnt a Belgian park, since it was part of the 6 flags chain which is American... guess what? None of the rides were in English. Also as I have been told by many many people, DLRP isnt 100% Disney owned.

All I am saying is that if you just expect to have everything in English because its an 'international' language then expect to be highly dissapointed.

Edit: and before Raptor or any other Belgian points out I am aware that 6 flags was Walibi before it was taken over but I am refering to ride built after the take over.

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

Filip

Quote from: "PetiteSirene"Erm... okay... let me put it this way... 6 flags Belgium wasnt a Belgian park, since it was part of the 6 flags chain which is American... guess what? None of the rides were in English. Also as I have been told by many many people, DLRP isnt 100% Disney owned.

All I am saying is that if you just expect to have everything in English because its an 'international' language then expect to be highly dissapointed.

OK, I dont wont to argue about it any more. I Think you know what I mean and I think you know the "value" Difference between Disneyland and 6Flags.
EuroDisney was owned by Disney utill they had to sell their shares, due to their huge debts. This would propably happen everywhere in Europe. This does not mean it is not Disneyland. It has the SAME concepts and it is operated by Disney people+it is called Disneyland. +as its name-the concept is to be for people to be in different LAND and not in PARIS.

PetiteSirene

I am not even trying to argue, just sharing my point of view, everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

I am still really excited about this ride, cant wait to scrap the money together after my wedding to visit :D

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

Anthony

Quote from: "Maarten"
Quote from: "raptor1982"Because the park is build in France.  Get over it.  :wink:
But that doesn't mean they should ingnore the international audience. Why even bother some spiderwebs if a large part of the parkguests don't even understand the spiel?
I have to agree. It won't affect my enjoyment of the ride, same way I love Phantom Manor because I read the story on the internet years ago, but I feel sorry for all those new to Tower of Terror who don't speak French.

Having subtitles in the library is great. Should make it seem like an old late night movie on a forgotten TV channel. Although, WHY have the video in French when its originally an ENGLISH video?! Do they think French people can't read? It doesn't make sense that the TV in a Hollywood hotel would play an american film dubbed in french with english subtitles.

As for the elevator, any separate queue system a la STT would be awful, what they should do is simply alternate English/French with each ride of an elevator. One ride english, one ride french, completely fair. You ride it twice, you'll almost certainly hear it in English. If they can do random drop sequences, I'm sure they could alternate narration through the computer, don't you think?

I won't personally dislike the attraction one bit... just sympathise with first-timers.

And btw Poppy - your job has literally endless perks, doesn't it? :P

meteor75

According to posts in the French forum Disney Central Plaza, the Tower of Terror cast members wiil have their own HTH themed uniforms. If current ToT cast members can be spotted with Cinémagique costumes, it is only because the ToT costumes are not ready yet!

Regarding the language:
- do not forget that many other Europeans do not speak English, but only their native language. Plus, most people from Spain or Italy for instance will likely to understand French better than English.
- French is the official language in France, therefore it is normal to hear French (and it is unlawful to deliver information in a foreign language without the French as the prominent one). When I visited the Tokyo Disney parks, I was surprised to see that, besides the signage, English was not really well-known. If you are expecting to find there a lot of English audio or even cast members able to speak English, you will be really disappointed! I rode the japanese ToT without having a clue how what was said, but I had a lot of fun anyway (then I searched the web to get more info of course...). And remember, listening to a foreign language, even if you do not understand it, is also part of the cultural experience.
- I also think that if they chose to dub the preshow movie, it is because the Twilight Zone series (known here as "La Quatrième Dimension" : the Fourth Dimension), was very popular in France. Plus, the voice of the French actor dubbing Rod Sterling being the same, it will bring lots of memories to the French public.

For exemple, remember that in Star Tours, it is the same: French safety videos with English subtitles, and main show in French (except some secondary dialogs in English).

Owain

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"I did Tower of Terror 7 times yesterday during the cast member previews.  It is the best ride I've ever been on at DLRP, not done the american versions, but the theming, drop, and ride in general is incredible.

The library is in French with English subtitles, and the elevator itself is also all in French.

Great too that there was no queue all day, it was amazing.

All the ride itself is finished, just the shop and gardens and outside queue needs to be completed.

I'm still on a high!!  :D  :D
:o What do you work as then ?