How is space mountain 2 different?

Started by lilcharlie, June 15, 2007, 07:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilcharlie

I went on space mountain with my dad a couple of years ago and realli enjoyed it but it was kinda my dads limit! I was just wondering how is the new version different and would you say it is much scarier?!

lilcharlie

sorri just realised ive just posted it in the wrong section! x

Richard Adams

Hello lilcharlie,

Apparently, the main difference is the complete tip-to-toe revamp of the scenery and themeing. Disney has made it more modern to suit the changes of technology and exploration over time. (Afterall, we know a lot more now about space than we did when it first opened!)

Be warned, I've heard that this version is more jerky, so your father may not approve as much. That sort of thing is purely relative to individual, though, so he may enjoy the thrill even more!

There's a bit more info at the dlrp web site here:

//http://www.dlrpmagic.com/guides/disneylandpark/discoveryland/spacemountainmission2/

Hope this helps!

Richard.

Nicholas-c

basically its new theming (they had new cars etc so its not as rough)
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Anthony

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"basically its new theming (they had new cars etc so its not as rough)
Please try to put a bit more effort into your posts.

The trains aren't new, they were simply repainted, given new speakers and a big dose of maintenance.  Not really noticable now though, with music only working on about 1 in 1 million rides.

The new version probably isn't any scarier. There are new lighting effects, projections and so on in the mountain, and the launch is now from the bottom of the cannon rather than halfway up, which gives it a bit more oomph, but nothing really horrifying. :)

Nicholas-c

Quote from: "Baloo"The new version probably isn't any scarier. There are new lighting effects, projections and so on in the mountain, and the launch is now from the bottom of the cannon rather than halfway up, which gives it a bit more oomph, but nothing really horrifying. :)

The whole idea seems slightly more frightening aswell, going to the moon (mission 1) is reasonable but this time we go to the end of the universe :P

the whole que area is nicer now, there are some really nice images of stars and galaxies and you can see where you walk :)
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

15MagicalYears

Quote from: "Baloo"with music only working on about 1 in 1 million rides.

Wow, I heard music, I must of been realy lucky ! :P,

I did not ride the first SM but I have been on the Orlando version and to my memory I don't think the Orlando SM goes upside down nor does it have the modern theming!  :?

giorgio1712

Its a lot more bumpy now, you ave to hold your head back and still!  :shock:

RnRCj

Quote from: "giorgio1712"Its a lot more bumpy now, you ave to hold your head back and still!  :shock:

I'd say it's slightly smoother :?

It's a shame the music rarely works now :( On my last visit I didn't get any music every time I rode it.

PetiteSirene

Quote from: "Baloo"The trains aren't new, they were simply repainted, given new speakers and a big dose of maintenance.  Not really noticable now though, with music only working on about 1 in 1 million rides.

Sorry to revive this thread but being bored at work I was reading through old posts...

I just wanted to know if the trains really weren't replaced? My friend and I visted Feb 2006 and they wanted to see the changes on the new Space Mountain as it was the ride they used to work on and operate before the refurb.

The first thing they said was 'oh they have replaced the trains! About time too...' I wont go on to say why they said it was a good thing.

Just wondered if it was true.  :-k

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.
Watch and you\'ll see, someday I\'ll be Part of Your World.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia
September 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Anthony

No, they honestly weren't replaced. Why would I lie about such a thing? :lol:

PetiteSirene

lol Baloo I am sure you werent lying, but I am seriously hoping the gave them a good repair job in their refurb. :-k

My friend was a little suprised when I told them they are still the old trains!  :lol:

I don\'t know when, I don\'t know how, but I know something is starting right now.

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

smurfy74

We rode it loads last month and without the sound it really is lacking in atmosphere, sitting at the back of the ride gave us both headaches as it was so rough, the front is the best place to sit as a tip

PetiteSirene

QuoteWe rode it loads last month and without the sound it really is lacking in atmosphere

Did I miss something? When I rode it there was music and sound effects... Unless they changed that recently?  :-k

I did notice the ride was a little rough, but I didnt pay much attention to it as my friend told me it was exactly the sme as before the refurb just with lighting effects.

I never went on the original, but since they operated the ride and used to go on it daily I guess I have to trust their opinion! I must say I love the ride, so much that I went on it 5 times on our trip :)

Feb 2001 - Paris
Sept 2008 - Santa Fe
Dec 2008 - Cheyenne
Feb 2009 - Sequoia

BlueClouds

Am i really lucky? cos every time I've been on SM2 the music and every thing has been working.
Yo ho, Haul together, hoist the colours high
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, Never shall we die!