Peter Pan's Flight refurbishment (2016/1/11 to 2016/7/?)

Started by Remco K., January 13, 2016, 09:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco K.

Peter Pan's Flight is currently closed for refurbishment. It's supposed to get some fresh layers of paint and renewed lighting.

The attraction has been fenced off.

Pictures are courtesy of @ED92Live (Twitter).

A&S&O

Are they offering a different ride for EMH while it is closed?
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?

Ohana

I do wish they'd stop with the fences, I'd rather see people at work than those ugly blocky things. Especially bang in the middle of fantasyland that sucks. Hopefully it won't look too bad when actually there....
(•–•)

November 2015 -- Santa Fe
May 2016 - Santa Fe
November 2016 - Cheyenne
July 2017 - B&B Hotel

mickey1980

Another disappointing refurb...
I mean. It's nice that they are bringing it back to it's former glory. But I rather see them bringing it to a modern days glory. Like in the US parks.
Hotel Santa Fe - 1995
Hotel Cheyenne - 1997
Daytrip - 1998
Daytrip - 2000
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2002
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2005 (Dj Tiësto SM:M2 Event)
WDW Port Orleans French Quarter - 2008
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2009
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2010
Disneyland Hotel - 2011
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2012
Hotel Sequoia Lodge - 2013
Hotel Santa Fe - 2014
Tokyo DisneySea - 2015
Hotel Cheyenne - 2016
Hotel Cheyenne - 2017
Hotel New York - 2018

Remco K.

Not much to see on the outside, as reported by @ED92Live on Twitter. Some landscaping will be replaced.

mrpiggywinkles52

Wait are we not getting the US updates version of Peter Pan? Just this one restored, that is ridiculous! DLP should really have put that in, Also something I've always wondered, why don't they have some sort of shutters and doors they can close on the Fantasyland building attractions so that we don't need fences, they don't match the area at all! It almost undoes the amazing work they've done in Thunder Mesa with fences...

MickeyAteMyCap

I watched a video of the U.S. one and I think the Disneyland Paris version is a lot better.

Disneyland Paris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7Y5dZRhEMI

Walt Disney World:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGJZiha0OvM

The WDW version looks too bright IMO whereas DLP has got the colouring just right. The only thing I prefer from the WDW version is that the outside looks more attractive (unless the WDW exterior has changed since whenever that video was filmed).

MickeyAteMyCap

Looks like WDW updated their version at some point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K-o8MfkiAQ

Maybe this version does look better than the DLP one in places but the DLP Peter Pan's Flight still has the better ships and better ending.

Zee79

My daughter (9yr old) thinks DLP ships are much nicer but like me thinks the DLP ride is too dark, you can see very little. I think they could do with taking some ideas for WDW but not everything, still keep the uniqueness at times.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Zee79 on March 19, 2016, 12:40:37 PM
My daughter (9yr old) thinks DLP ships are much nicer but like me thinks the DLP ride is too dark, you can see very little. I think they could do with taking some ideas for WDW but not everything, still keep the uniqueness at times.
The most important thing is that they make sure there's at least four new shows and one new parade each for both of the parks in time for the 25th anniversary IMO. And they should get rid of the stupid seasonal shows idea - have The Forest of Enchantment all year round and axe Frozen Singalong.

moebius24

I have not yet had the pleasure to try the american version, since I am from Italy so it is not so easy to get there ;) anyway I have seen the onride videos on YouTube and I prefere the dlpr version as for the external facade. What I really like of the american version is instead the interactive queue and according to this I am very 'disappointed', or  regretful if u prefere, that the ongoing refurbishment seems not to include such an 'improvement', at least apparently.

samuelvictor

For those who haven't seen it, yesterday, the official Disneyland Paris Youtube uploaded a video of the Peter Pan restoration. Looks like they are doing an amazing job re-painting and restoring all the dark light stuff  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBOUVsEDokE

Just to give my 2 cents about what has been discussed above, the DLP building is FAR superior to the WDW one. This is the same with many attractions, where the architecture and design of the buildings in Paris is really intricate, whereas the WDW versions are essentially warehouses with flat MDF cutout designs. Sure, the 3D big ben and characters on the WDW is kinda cool, but tbh it looks cheap and plasticky. The fact that the Peter Pan, Snow White and Pinnochio buildings in DLP are designed with the native British, German and Italian (respectively) design/architecture choices really shows a huge attention to details and respect for teh origins of the source materials.

As others have noted, the ships and the end of the show are much better in the DLP version. Yes it is darker, and the last time I went, it was hard to make out the details - but with the newly refreshed dark light paint, those details should shine through again. I remember how effective it was the first time I rode the paris version being in near pitch black other than the lights of the "houses" and Big Ben in London - can't wait to experience (and hopefully film) this properly when we go back in 2017 8)

However, yes those projected effects in the queue in WDW are pretty neat - would be cool to have something similar added to Paris, and it can't be that expensive - heck you can get decent 3D projectors online for £500 or less?! Hopefully we'll get something similar eventually.

polar vixen

my friends who lol love wdw said the same. ....loved tge external of small world at dlp, said America was like a warehouse with an entrance.  Peter pan is most definitely my favourite ride.  can't wait for 2017!!!!

samuelvictor

Quote from: polar vixen on May 25, 2016, 10:14:17 AM
my friends who lol love wdw said the same. ....loved tge external of small world at dlp, said America was like a warehouse with an entrance.

Yes, though Florida is obviously the largest Disney complex and has loads of really fantastic exclusive rides and shows, it's a shame that the general design touches and attention to detail don't feel as "special" / "magic" and its all a bit cheap / commercial - and also very far appart. You spend half your holiday travelling between areas - often from one big generic building to another. The big warehouse buildings with simple cheap, flat fronts feel a bit like they went "that'll do" rather than "what would be amazing?". It feels strange because there is a big disconnect between the quality of the rides & experiences, which are world class, and the overall presentation of the "World", which can feel lacking.

It's probably the reason that though I absolutely love Florida and can't wait to take the kids to experience it all, I have a very soft spot for the smaller, but in some ways better designed Paris parks that we've taken them to over and over. "We" in Europe definitely have the best versions of certain rides/attractions, and the complex is much more manageable in the sense that everything is close together and within walking distance. Its also noticable that the Paris versions often are higher capacity and manage queues better, so less time is wasted waiting for stuff. Once everything is restored for the 25th, hopefully the Paris parks will all really shine again as was always intended :)

A&S&O

I wonder if WDW take into account the Florida weather / climate when building the facades, which is why they appear bland?

DLP should perhaps take into account their weather / climate when refurbing. Many of the facades and attractions are affected badly by the weather. Even recently refurbished attractions such as Space Mountain, Captain Hook's ship, the paddle steamer and the castle towers / drawbridge were in poor condition shortly after refurbs had finished. This is probably due to materials used and maybe workmanship. I'm a bit concerned that recent and even current refurbs won't last long enough to look good even for the 25th anniversary.
Planning WDW 2019
1997 DLP x2, 1998 DLP x2, 1999 DLP, 2000 DLP Millenium, 2002 DLP, 2003 DLR, 2004 WDW + DLP, 2005 DLP + DLR, 2006 WDW, 2007 DLP x2, 2008 WDW + DLP x3, 2009 DLP x7, 2010 WDW (+ extra week due to ash cloud!), 2011 DLR, 2012 WDW + DLP, 2013 WDW + DLP, 2014 WDW + DLPx3 (inc. daytrip for Ratatouille preview), 2015 DLR + DLPx3, 2016 WDW + DLP, 2017 WDW x2 + DLP, 2018 WDW + DLP x2. Coming up - ?