How to improve the park

Started by MickeyAteMyCap, September 17, 2015, 10:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: mickey1980 on September 25, 2015, 12:08:44 AM
Meh.. Would be nice as a service if they added it. But I don't see the need.
For the village and hotels i see the added value as it's a place where you'd expect to find WiFi.
I just pointed out where it would come in useful...

Disneylove

I actually like that they don't have wifi! It's a holiday, turn off the phones and enjoy yourselves. Can you imagine being stuck in a very slow walking crowd around the tower as they all upload pictures to Instagram. Jeeze.

If you lose a map, you can go and get another, surely it's not that big of a deal. You could even download a PDF map to use offine if you're that worried.

I just don't think it's necessary, and feels like traditional Disney to not have wifi. Sort of gives the messages that this is a fun time to get away from it all and I like that.

MickeyAteMyCap

Quote from: Disneylove on September 25, 2015, 10:04:58 PM

If you lose a map, you can go and get another, surely it's not that big of a deal. You could even download a PDF map to use offine if you're that worried.

You'd have to be in the right area though where you can easily just pick up a new park map. And you don't always think to download the PDF to view offline.

polar vixen

How did people survive before mobile phones? I mean, sure they're useful but people did actually manage to find their way around 20 years ago

Zee79

Quote from: polar vixen on September 26, 2015, 06:49:33 PM
How did people survive before mobile phones? I mean, sure they're useful but people did actually manage to find their way around 20 years ago

I have to admit I'm lost without my mobile and wifi but when I am in Disney it is turned off! Peace for 5 days plus I don't like to check in or post pics until I am home because then people will know I'm away. The phone will be turned on occasionally when checking in on my elderly grandparents or should i say they checking up on us because they do worry when we go away.

Disneylove

Even if you do lose a map, which is incredibly unlikely, even at the furthest point away in the park you can walk and get a map within 10 minutes.

I went to Disneyland in 2000, didn't have a mobile phone at all, and didn't manage to lose the map, I actually still have it in my possession 15 years later!

rebecca20

I agree with the phone thing I enjoy being in the 'disney bubble'. The only time it comes in handy is when you go get snacks waiting for dreams and then lose your party in the crowds!!! ;)
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

DisneyRon

In DLP I basically have it turned off, as it has very little use while I'm there.

However in WDW I had it turned on constantly, as the MyMagic+ App is your best tool for managing fast passes, reservations and checking waiting times. It helps that there is park wide WiFi. :D

dencarter

This question about WiFi is probably very individual accordingly to the guest's tastes. WDW guests benefit from the really outstanding My Disney Experience app. Extending this app to DLP would be a real bonus, in which case WiFi would be essential. Other guests help DLP to gain publicity by posting live updates and photos of their journey on social media. This would be quicker and easier on WiFi rather than the somewhat patchy data signal in the parks. I also totally understand why some people would prefer to switch off completely - which would still be an option for many if the park did have WiFi.

Remco K.

Quote from: Disneylove on September 25, 2015, 10:04:58 PM
I actually like that they don't have wifi! It's a holiday, turn off the phones and enjoy yourselves. Can you imagine being stuck in a very slow walking crowd around the tower as they all upload pictures to Instagram. Jeeze.
Quote from: polar vixen on September 26, 2015, 06:49:33 PM
Quote from: rebecca20 on September 26, 2015, 11:53:16 PM
I agree with the phone thing I enjoy being in the 'disney bubble'.
I do understand your points, though we live in 2015 and fast moving technology is part of our future. Besides, the free WiFi at Disneyland Paris might be an indication of MyMagic+ style activities in the coming years. And since I've experienced MyMagic+ myself, I can assure you that this even makes your day more enjoyable because you don't have to stand in lines but also don't need to run to get a Fast Pass.

It saves a lot of time which can be better used to relax at the park, visit some stores, get a snack.

And for everyone worried about using their phone to much at the parks, it's not that bad because you only need to open the MyMagic+ app to make or change a reservation.

MattR

I have always been wondering why they didn´t establish some sort of fast pass terminals in a central spot. This way you wouldn´t have to run from attraction to attraction to collect fastpasses.

On the other hand I also guess this was part of the concept to keep people busy, but as we learned from the wristbands this isn´t part of the concept anymore.

Remco K.

Quote from: MattR on October 19, 2015, 07:55:04 AM
I have always been wondering why they didn´t establish some sort of fast pass terminals in a central spot. This way you wouldn´t have to run from attraction to attraction to collect fastpasses.
Actually, this is what they did at WDW. Most Fast Pass machines located near the attractions have been removed. New machines were placed at central spots and machines near attractions have been replaced with new ones. At either of these locations you can get a Fast Pass+ for all attractions.

Also did they expand the number of attractions using Fast Pass. Even the smallest attractions now use Fast Pass for better guest flow over the parks.

aj2703

DisneyRon

Quote from: Remco K. on October 19, 2015, 10:15:37 AM

Also did they expand the number of attractions using Fast Pass. Even the smallest attractions now use Fast Pass for better guest flow over the parks.

And it drives up the stand-by wait times like crazy. Which is really unpleasant.
Something like 70% of the hourly capacity of any given attraction at WDW is given over to Fast pass holders, that is really not very handy. As it makes FP+ mandatory on all but the quietest days for just about anything you want to do.

twentythingamabobs

Totally agree DisneyRon, completely removes the spontaneity of your days, you need a fast pass time for everything.