Compared to America?

Started by koi, March 10, 2007, 08:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koi

Hi all.
What attractions do you think are better in DLP than in Orlando & which are worse?
Looking forward to your replies! :?:

Anthony

I don't think any of them are worse!  I've never been to WDW, but I've heard enough opinions I think to safely say that.  All of the classics (POTC, BTM, HM, SM, IASW) seem far, far better in Paris.  Orlando's attractions seem to generally be regarded as the worst of all the versions - at magic kingdom at least.

Even at the Studios, our RNRC gives a better ride experience, even if it doesn't have such an elaborate exterior.  I don't know about the animation tours, but now that MGM's real production facilities have closed down and they demolished half of the tram tour route for Moteurs, even our dinky little STT is more worthwhile than the Orlando one.

Everything DLRP has that WDW also has, it does better.  I suppose the only problem right now is the things DLRP doesn't have.

I think WDW's key advantage is simply size.  From my point of view, WDW = quantity, DLRP = quality.

That's my view anyway, I'd like to hear what actual WDW visitors think...

Whoknew?

that's a big statement Baloo! I also never was at WDW but they haven't build WDW at one day, so I wouldn't reduce WDW to only that.
The Magic Kingdom might be an exception, for the fact that MK was the fast alternative for walts real Walt Disney World.
But the fireworks at Epcot, fantasmic, the gread movie Ride at MGM, expedition: EVEREST, Kali river rapids at AK and a lot more are excellent attractions and i've heard many WDW visitors who were excited about the extremely detailed parks and great atmosphere.

Patrick

Quote from: "Whoknew?"The Magic Kingdom might be an exception, for the fact that MK was the fast alternative for walts real Walt Disney World.
But the fireworks at Epcot, fantasmic, the gread movie Ride at MGM, expedition: EVEREST, Kali river rapids at AK and a lot more are excellent attractions and i've heard many WDW visitors who were excited about the extremely detailed parks and great atmosphere.

That's also a big statement to make, magic kingdom was by the way  originally decided on for wdw by walt himself when he planned the resort :wink: .  Great Movie ride also has been compared many times to Cinemagique, since it's rather similar just cinemagique pulls off the idea of history of cinema better (mostly due to great movie ride lacking in maintanence).  Everest also I have heard to be an overrated big thunder type ride.  Kali seems like the most boring and unimaginative river rapids since alton towers decided to place some in their park :lol: .  Fantasmic and fireworks cannot really save a whole resort to be great and better than dlrp.

Personally due to the history of wdw I find it the most boring of all the resorts to think about.  All the great ideas that seem to nearly happen get knocked down to nothing more than adequate.  Western river expedition got shot out for a shortned and rather quick built potc.  Everest was only made since a dragon land was also decided upon to reject from the ideas for animal kingdom.

WDW just seems like a money maker for the wdc to just have and not upkeep well.

I also have not been, but the world does not seem like one of disney's greatest imaginative ideas anyway.

jortlaban

Quote from: "Baloo"I think WDW's key advantage is simply size.  From my point of view, WDW = quantity, DLRP = quality.

the quality aspect has been gone for about 13 years in Paris (which will be back after TS and ToT open I'm sure)....

WDW (and DLRA) gets updates pretty regularly and most of the rides have been redone to new standards at a point where DLRP just maintenanced its rides... making all of DLRP original opening rides the oldest of all, and thus the worst.... all rides are running on 15 year old technology, while there have been a lot of breakthroughs in AA and conveyence methods that have been applied overseas.

I haven't been to WDW myself, but keep myself pretty updated, and I've visited DLRA twice in two years, in which they completely redid most of the rides over there, So every ride we did overthere was different from 20 months earlier, which leavesme with the following conclusion in which rides are better or worse:

better @ DLRA and WDW:
Haunted Mansion holiday - love the theme and superbly done
Indiana Jones - This rides ROCKS!!!! a jeep trek through a temple... WOW. (Dinosaur in WDW)
Pirates of the caribbean - Sparrow Rules!!! and the new effects are amazing
Splash Mountain - Why hasn't this been built in Paris yet??????
Soarin' - the only ride that is a more than worthy successor of a Circlevision theater...
Tough to be a bug - 3D-movie with animatronics and real involment with the audience
Muppetvision 3D - same as above, only with muppets.. they have actual pinguins as an orchestra which are IN the theater and not on screen.
Monsters Inc. - simple but great for kids (and adults to)... bring it to france please!!!

Better in DLRP:
BTM - Faster, Bigger and more original because of the Island.
Frontierland - the only one of all the resorts that has a complete storyline that covers all of the land
Star Tours - the only version that actualy is convincing enough that you on an interstellar spaceport... all the others are the same but not convincing enough to get the spaceport thing going.
Space Mountain - even with M2 this one has more to offer, while the original version from 75 and the anaheim version are pretty fun to.
La Chateau - the rest are small and too european to be impressive
POTC's location - while DLRP's version is currently technicaly the oldest around, the fortress is the most eleborate of all the versions.
Peter Pan - same as in US but with double the seats.
Main street USA - almost the same.. DLRA is charmingly small and breathes walt all the way, and WDW's look preety much the same, DLRP's version has the wonderfull arcades, which are great on busy days to provide shelter from rain of just to avoid crowds.

all the rest is pretty much the same (or I haven't experienced yet).
Shareholder TWDC & EDASCA

mstaft

If I may offer a reply... In October, I was at WDW, and I was at Disneyland in California in April. (I have not been to DLP since 1998, however.)
I would say that I believe that Baloo is correct except in the case of Phantom Manor/Haunted Mansion. They are two pretty different versions in many ways, and they both are good and different in their own right.
In my opinion as far as the three Magic Kingdom parks go, DLP's is the most beautiful and detailed, both attractions and general atmosphere. WDW's is the largest and least intimate but has some of the early 70s attractions not at DLP or no longer at DL.  The original California Disneyland has the most attractions- many of the top attractions are almost as good as DLP's, lots of detail, and feels very warm. The number of unique attractions and 50 years of foliage growth give it a feel the other two parks do not have.
Now, if I had to build my favorite Disney resort, it would have DLP's Magic Kingdom, WDW's Epcot and Animal Kindom, and Tokyo DisneySea!
That should reveal alot of how I really feel!   :D

jortlaban

Quote from: "mstaft"if I had to build my favorite Disney resort, it would have DLP's Magic Kingom, WDW's Epcot and Animal Kindom, and Tokyo DisneySea!
That should reveal alot of how I really feel!   :D
You've just created my Disney dream.... notify me when you open the resort  :D....
nah... I would have DLA's MK and change epcot for Disney Studios Florida.
Shareholder TWDC & EDASCA

metman

Well where do I start. I have just found your group and have enjoyed reading all that has been said for the past 10 days. As to your question, which is the better of the parks. This is a big big question; I have logged up to 30 times in Paris and 14 in wdw. So I do have a good insight to both groups.
Whilst Paris is the newest of the 3 parks she is the one who has lost out to budget many times. Florida has one above all other sectors and only Tokyo with its own bank funding has beaten the Americans.
Our rides like big thunder and pirates are different and very good, but where we are winning is the items we are the first on the motors and action in America it sucks. And this is why it is better in Europe than in America the same goes for animagic and cinemagic that is nothing like what they have in America.
But to give the Americans there due when you go there and it is in the 80s sunny and warm, or cold and grey in France then Florida will always win. Add a few cheap meals all you can eat breakfast for 3.00 pounds and a pair of cheap Nikes or addidas and you see why Florida starts to appeal add 4 parks 2 water parks and a full down town shopping set up and through in over 20 Disney hotels all on 40 square miles of Disney property and you can see why Florida will beat us again. That's the size of Manchester. Then add Universal with 2 parks, sea world, plus even more swimming places and 100s of shops that just walk all over us in Europe. Then again it starts to hurt your European way of life. And finally add petrol at £1.00 per gallon and you just have to cry at our rate of £4.50.
Sorry guys we might have some amazing rides but the Americans will always keep us behind them with all of the above.

Whoknew?

Quote from: "PATMAGIC"That's also a big statement to make, magic kingdom was by the way  originally decided on for wdw by walt himself when he planned the resort :wink: .

You're right, of course, but there's no proof that the existing mk is the mk walt imagined (if there's somewhere a page saying "mk is the only thing wich survived from walts dream, then sry  :oops: )

I first wanted to ask why the hell is dlrp lacking in budget then, but the answer is one post above  :wink:

RnRCj

When I visited Orlando, I expected WDW to be much better than DLRP. I'd heard so many people saying it's much better.

I rode almost every ride in the resort, and actually, I didn't think any of them were up to the quality of DLRP's rides and attractions. Everyone who came on that holiday with me agreed.

Also, in WDW there doesn't seem to be as much "magic" as DLRP has. DLRP has a better atmosphere overall.

We'll have to see if Tower of Terror is better or not :lol:

Owain

Quote from: "Baloo"I think WDW's key advantage is simply size.  From my point of view, WDW = quantity, DLRP = quality.

Dont think i could put it in better words myself.  :)

davewasbaloo

Well I'd like to think I have a lot of Disney park experience.

I would say attraction wise, DLP is better than the MK in WDW and to a degree Disneyland.  Service and cast quality is best at DL california, stage shows are best at DLP, street performances best at DL Cal, costumes best at DLP.

In short, I prefer my time at DL California, but if I can't be there, I would rather be in DLP than the MK.  However, DLP has the worst hotels and restaurants of all the resorts, as well as the worst fireworks and guest behaviour.
since 2001 (many before that)

anthony2k6

i've only been to DLRP, but ive looked at lots of pictures from the other resorts around the world.

For me there is still a few things lacking in DLRP..

Disney Village - we need a 2nd street, with more entertainment venues. For me the only bar worth visiting is billy bobs. Downtown Disney sounds like it has a lot of what Disney Village needs.

Street entertainment - I've seen lots of picture of street entertainers in WDW. DLRP doesnt really seem to have any of that except during the special seasons (halloween etc).

and maybe the third gate... ;) WDW has epcot and animal kingdom which I definitely want to visit. Or there is Tokyos Disney Seas. If eventually I'd love for DLRP to have any of those - or something new of its own to rivel them.

Whoknew?

till dlrp isn't forced by the french goverment or anybody else they shouldn't over-hurry the third gate thing. WDS has just started to become an "i can stand on my own" park, don't disturb him!  :wink:

anthony2k6

Quote from: "Whoknew?"till dlrp isn't forced by the french goverment or anybody else they shouldn't over-hurry the third gate thing. WDS has just started to become an "i can stand on my own" park, don't disturb him!  :wink:

oh definitely. I know full well they wont be able to afford the third gate anytime soon (although didnt the deal say they had to have it open by something like 2012?) and wouldnt want them to open it before they could do the job properly.

Studios to me was opened before they could afford it, and now they're kinda going back to it and doing the job properly finally. The 3rd gate needs to be right first time.

I do think Disney Village expansion should be the next big project though.