New security checks in the resort hub

Started by Josh, July 07, 2012, 01:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGRavenswood

No idea! "Resort Hub" is all that comes to mind though I suppose there may be a better official name by now.

Your circle also includes part of Fantasia Gardens and its Studios counterpart, though (that one has another name, too, but I can't remember it). The actual resort hub is much smaller.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

gldc

I've just read that disney bought the resort hub area up to the train station too and that will hopefully spell the end of the annoying street vendors. If true, brilliant!  :thumbs:
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Anthony

According to the official Nomenclature:

Center Court
Central plaza between entrances to Theme Parks, Disney Village & Parking

Esplanade
Approach route from Guest Parking to Main Entrance.

Fantasia Gardens
Landscaped area in front of Disneyland Park Entrance.

Studio Plaza
Area between Center Court and the entrance to Walt Disney Studios Park

Esplanade Paul Seramy
Access from Parking Vinci to Center Court.

Parking Vinci
Multi-storey car park at end of Ave Paul Seramy (next to Gaumont Cinemas)

"Center Court" just sounds a bit naff and overly American to me...

CafeFantasia

Excellent information Anthony. I'm making a note of that. I bet the top managers at Disneyland Paris don't even know what those areas are called :-)

Yeah, Center Court is a bad name. It immediately makes me think of tennis:

Josh

"Court" suggests it's in a really enclosed area. It kind of makes me imagine those alleyways between terraced houses.

I think I'll stick to "Resort hub". XD When Imagineering use their "wheel and spoke" designs, they always call the centre part the "hub", so that's why I've always called it that.

By the way, what does everyone think of the new lamps around the "Centre Court"? I really like the art deco look (if that's what it's meant to be).

Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Anthony

Quote from: "Josh"By the way, what does everyone think of the new lamps around the "Centre Court"? I really like the art deco look (if that's what it's meant to be).
I think more Art Nouveau?

They're beautiful anyway, very Parisian/European and help to "ground" the resort area in its actual geographic location and history, making it seem less manufactured. See the awful square lamps nearby that Pussinboots mentioned earlier for how not to do that. I really hope they're able to update those at some point.

Also quite amazing they can apparently spend such money on these when you remember the ugly lamp posts to found throughout certain areas of the Studios, crying out for replacements. I guess they'll get round to those when they get round to the Studios in general...

Columbiad

There must be another reason why they're changing the lamps - surely the "hood" over the white "bulb" and the crown on top of it isn't enough of a reason?

Figgygirl

I'm glad that they are finally putting security checks at both ends of the Disney Village. Having them at only one end has always seemed nonsensical when anyone could just catch a Disney hotel shuttle bus and walk in from the lake end.
I find the hotels ' luggage checks rather disorganised. When I arrived at Sequoia Lodge last month I forgot about the security check outside the front entrance there, and just walked into the hotel with my bag and suitcase. No one stopped me.

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Anthony"Studio Plaza
Area between Center Court and the entrance to Walt Disney Studios Park

Right, that's what I thought. I believe that this and Center Court have been added very recently to the official Nomenclature...

Quote from: "Columbiad"There must be another reason why they're changing the lamps - surely the "hood" over the white "bulb" and the crown on top of it isn't enough of a reason?

Generally this sort of hood is added to reduce light pollution but I suppose it doesn't really change much on the resort's scale.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

littlemermaid83

I'm glad to see all this security going on around the village, but scanning bags outside the hotels? I think possibly a bit OTT...Maybe because my bags have already been scanned before getting on the Eurostar, last thing I want to do is then try and lift my bag into another xray scanner lol.

Has anyone seen this at the Cheyenne?
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Josh

Yeah, I think they're at Cheyenne, too. Is it really necessary, though? You wouldn't get this kind of security at any other hotel. They don't even do it at WDW. Aren't they being a bit paranoid?

Quote from: "Anthony"I think more Art Nouveau?
I don't really know much about architectural styles anyway. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Josh

Permanent fences are appearing for the security checks! :D

Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

whenyouwishuponastar

I have never really understood the security, I'm guessing it's for weapons or explosives, when we checked into sequoia last Christmas the security was only just opening if we had arrived 10 minutes earlier we wouldn't have been scanned, and he only wanted the suite casees! Not the shopping bags or the cool box!!!! I know someone said about the security to the parks looking for food but I know it's ok to take small picnics in.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"Reusing the old tram stop near Hotel New York was a nice idea for that.

Ah so that's what that was.

I don't mind Center Court or Esplanade or even Resort Hub, so long as it's used and it's used consistently... When a Disney resort grows, a need emerges for this kind of nomenclature.

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"Generally this sort of hood is added to reduce light pollution but I suppose it doesn't really change much on the resort's scale.

I imagine they could have seized the moment to both reduce light pollution as you said and switch to LEDs. Which produce a different, directional light and generally need to be aimed rather than glowing in 360 degrees in the manner of a tungsten bulb. Putting LEDs in one of those globes would mean having separate LEDs light upwards into the night sky. Not very efficient.

Although, off topic: Someone has finally developed an LED bulb that looks and glows like a 19th century bulb! Good news for Disney perhaps.

Josh

Update: some of the fences are up:

Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]