Tangled (Disney 2010)

Started by Kristof, September 08, 2004, 01:58:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Oy, it's all about marketing nowadays, isn't it.

JelleP

Well... unfortunately yes.
But ontherwise I don't think Walt Disney would still be with us these days :roll:
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

pussinboots

I know marketing has always been important, even before the word "marketing" was commonplace, but it's hard to deny we're in its golden age. They used to make a movie from their little bubble of a studio and then eventually feed it to a test audience, whose reaction to a character, plot line, scene or song was often the final word. That's quite a different scenario from the way they're shaping films entirely out of market research now. And as we all know, that actually doesn't work. (Think: Who Framed Roger Rabbit would never in a million years have gotten a "thumbs up" from marketing, and yet was a huge success. The new Tinkerbell franchise is the wet dream of any marketer, and has seen disappointing results. Possible conclusion: people respond to quality, not statistics.)

I don't want to be the eternal "when I was young everything was better" person, but well. Let's just say there's too much emphasis on marketing, and it should be less.

luke85

Quote from: "pussinboots"I don't want to be the eternal "when I was young everything was better" person, but well. Let's just say there's too much emphasis on marketing, and it should be less.

Completely agree pussinboots. There's too many executives and various other "suits" interfering with the creative process of film making, particularly when it comes to Disney. They need to stay out of it, leave it to the professionals.

Clarebelle

so its confirmed...
Tangled  :?
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]

Anthony

Thanks Clarebelle. Here we go:

Quote"Hey everyone, I'm Roy Conli, producer of Disney's next animated film. I have some exciting news to share, and it was important to me that YOU guys – the Disney fans – hear it first. I want to tell you about Walt Disney Animation Studio's 2010 release, Tangled. It's a really fresh, smart take on the Rapunzel story.

In our film, the infamous bandit Flynn Rider meets his match in the girl with the 70 feet of magical golden hair. We're having a lot of fun pairing Flynn, who's seen it all, with Rapunzel, who's been locked away in a tower for 18 years.

I'm so proud of the crew working on this film – they're doing a fantastic job creating an awesome story with great characters and a stunning world – and it's all going to look amazing in 3D. All of us
here at the studio are incredibly excited for you to see Tangled when it comes out in theaters this November."
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3 ... 3245476854

What's the thoughts on that? To be honest, if they wanted it to not sound too "Princess-y" to avoid putting off boys, they've just made it sound like even more of a girly rom-com. Or some kind of anti-Hairspray musical on Broadway, if you add an exclamation: Tangled!

Perhaps they also think it was the old fashioned qualities that put people off seeing The Princess and the Frog? Tangled sounds anything but...

Magic M

It sounds to me like Disney are jumping on the anti-Fairy Tale bandwagon set in motion by the Shrek series.  They had some success with Enchanted's modern take on trhe fairy tale so this could work too.

I like Flynn Rider's design - reminicent of Errol Flynn in his swashbuckling days...

luke85

What an appalling choice. I really was hoping the folks behind the film would have stood their ground and stuck to the original name, rather than caving because the marketing department are worried that one of their key demographics would be put off by the name 'Rapunzel'

Utter rubbish.

The Butlin Boy

Anyone want a teaser trailer? :wink:

http://www.heyuguys.co.uk/2010/03/02/di ... r-trailer/

luke85

First off, this is a very bad quality trailer, someone's just filmed their computer screen, but on the disneyandmore blog, there's a new version of a much longer trailer...

Here's the link to the work-in-progress trailer:
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=16892

I didn't know how to imbed the video on here, sorry  :oops:

I really hope they don't end up using the music in this trailer in the final version, it just cheapens the whole thing. What does everyone else think?

HildeKitten

I'd be interested in seeing it, provided it'll be available in belgian theatres in English rather than dubbed.
If it comes out dubbed, I'll just wait 'till it's available to rent (I never buy a princess movie without having seen it first, I'm not that much of a princess fan).

dagobert

I've found the German trailer of the new Disney movie "Tangled". In Germany, Austria and Switzerland it will be called "Rapunzel".

Here's the link:
http://www.prosieben.at/kino-dvd/video/ ... 1.1770340/

And here is the US trailer:
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810121160/video/20263323

penfold12

http://tangled.movie-trailer.com/

A link for the new trailer for the movie. Wow how awful!!!!

I was so looking forward to this movie. We were promised an old school fairy tale that looked like an oil painting come to life.

The The Princess & The Frog didnt set the box office alight, so we end up with a re named film, that looks like the off cuts of Shrek that have been "focus grouped" to death so as to appeal to a larger audience.

For me the biggest concern is that John Lassiter appears to have been behind the re working, forcing Glen Keane off the project. And I always thought of John Lassiter as the man who ignored Focus Groups and made movies that were great stories, not concerned with their commercial appeal (Up) and purely on the strength of the movie enjoyed a string of box office smashes. I hope this isnt a sign of things to come.

This movie has gone from a "must See" for me to a "I'll wait for the Blu Ray" based on that trailer.....

pussinboots

Hmm, I have to agree... It's another one of those. Once again, a project with lots of potential has been dumbed down at the last minute. Pink! I can't believe it. And "she's been grounded, like, forever." Brrrrrrr. Glen Keane must be cringing.

Having said that, it still looks better than Shrek.

pussinboots

Ah, so they're trying to make it less of a princess movie (since Princess and the Frog didn't do as well as they'd hoped) and more of a boys' movie.

And the result is that we'll now get some unmemorable popcorn movie. Great. First the marketing folk screw up Princess and the Frog, which causes it to do worse than hoped, which causes them to screw up the next movie! Go Disney.