Disney Magic on Parade!

Started by Poppy The Monkey, September 24, 2011, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorum

Quote from: "dagobert"Will that bear stay in the parade or was he just a one time replacement? Sorry to all who like him, but I can't stand Duffy and wish he wouldn't be part of the Disney universe.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if Duffy is a success at DLRP? From what I've read in the US he is still not that popular. In Tokyo people are crazy about him and I've never seen such long lines of people wanting to meet him.

I don't know.

I don't mind if he remains or not, but obviously Pluto and Daisy should be in the parade. We must remember that the characters has no feelings. The person inside the character doesn't mind being Duffy or Pluto. Evidently, there are people for Mickey, for Pluto and for every Disney character, but we are trying to humanize the characters, and we shouldn't. It's true there are people inside and they have a great fondness for one of them in particular, but hey, we're treating them like gods. They're characters!
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "Lorum"
Quote from: "dagobert"Will that bear stay in the parade or was he just a one time replacement? Sorry to all who like him, but I can't stand Duffy and wish he wouldn't be part of the Disney universe.

Just out of interest, does anyone know if Duffy is a success at DLRP? From what I've read in the US he is still not that popular. In Tokyo people are crazy about him and I've never seen such long lines of people wanting to meet him.

I don't know. I don't mind if he remains or not, but obviously Pluto and Daisy should be in the parade. We must remember that the characters has no feelings. The person inside the character doesn't mind being Duffy or Pluto. Evidently, there are people for Mickey, for Pluto and for every Disney character, but we are trying to humanize the characters, and we shouldn't. It's true there are people inside and they have a great fondness for one of them in particular, but hey, we're treating them like gods. They're characters!

There's people inside the characters?  Mickey isn't real? :shock:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Lorum

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"
Quote from: "Lorum"

I don't know. I don't mind if he remains or not, but obviously Pluto and Daisy should be in the parade. We must remember that the characters has no feelings. The person inside the character doesn't mind being Duffy or Pluto. Evidently, there are people for Mickey, for Pluto and for every Disney character, but we are trying to humanize the characters, and we shouldn't. It's true there are people inside and they have a great fondness for one of them in particular, but hey, we're treating them like gods. They're characters!

There's people inside the characters?  Mickey isn't real? :shock:

No comments.

ford prefect

The characters are as real as I am.  Disney is a world of fantasy and I believe in Mickey the same way I believe in Santa Claus.  A willing suspension of disbelief is required.

A lift to help Mickey off the float doesn't shatter illusions.

Photographing backstage does shatter illusions and discussing the motivations of an actor also shatters illusions in this environment.  

It is a convention of Disney Cast members in America to call such actors "friends of mickey" or whatever character they happen to be friends with.

In such a way we can all enjoy a fantasy world!
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Lorum

As I posted a backstage picture, it does shatter illusions.

As I wrote something about the actors, it does shatter illusions.

littlemermaid83

Lorum why so much negativity!?
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Lorum

No! Don't think so! It makes me laugh.. Because everything is around my comments. I don't know why. If someone says the same, you don't make a comment. But if it is me, you do. :lol:

ford prefect

Quote from: "Lorum"As I posted a backstage picture, it does shatter illusions.

As I wrote something about the actors, it does shatter illusions.
Quote from: "Lorum"No! Don't think so! It makes me laugh.. Because everything is around my comments. I don't know why. If someone says the same, you don't make a comment. But if it is me, you do. :lol:

Ok, I am puzzled.  

You really are taking things too personally.

You didn't post the picture of the lift which was taken from an onstage viewpoint of a cast member helping Mickey into position.  There is no issue with that at all.  A backstage area has not been photographed.

Neither did you initiate the discussion about illusions being shattered.

I presume the picture you are referring to is that picture of the inside of the dreams control room.  I had assumed that matter had been settled and clarified some time ago.

With reference to the friends of characters.  I did not quote your comment as more than one person had mentioned the point.  

You had raised the valid point that a person can be friends with more than one character and not care which is their "best friend".

The point I was trying to make is that an actor will always believe in the character they are portraying whether it is Hamlet or Captain Hook.  There is no difference between an actor in Hamlet and an actor in a Disney production.  

The production can be on a stage or in a parade.  The idea is to make us believe in that character.  

In order for us to believe we have to anthropomorphasize that character. This is the only point where we disagree.  

We should humanise the characters in the same way we humanise the cast of Eastenders.

Please do not assume that any post following something written by you is an attack on you.  Surely the idea of a forum is to discuss different ideas.

It is perfectly possible to "attack a post". However I promise you that I will never attack the person posting it.  

I will say it again, it is not personal.
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Auroura86

Quote from: "ford prefect"The characters are as real as I am.  Disney is a world of fantasy and I believe in Mickey the same way I believe in Santa Claus.  A willing suspension of disbelief is required.

Photographing backstage does shatter illusions and discussing the motivations of an actor also shatters illusions in this environment.  

It is a convention of Disney Cast members in America to call such actors "friends of mickey" or whatever character they happen to be friends with.

well said
Where me keys? Where me phone?

Elaine

Quote from: "candydog"Also, I didn't see Pluto in the parade? Is he there? If not, he should really be in Duffy's place next to Goofy on the finale float. Duffy is a great character and addition to the parks I'm sure, but he's not one of the VIPs yet.

thats exactly what my 10-year old said when we watched the youtube clips - Duffy is in Pluto's place!

Auroura86

my son has now said who's that while pointing at Duffy, and has asked where's Pluto.

i know I bashed Duffy extremely earlier - and I am apologetic; but it's like I said before, only die hard fans of the parks know who he is. Most don't, therefore I stand by the belief that he should be removed from that float, and Pluto and Daisy kept in as per promo images. By all means keep Duffy, but move him to walking or somewhere else
Where me keys? Where me phone?

Handy Andy

Lorum, will you please think before you post as there are children who read these comments. Let's not spoil the magic for them. ;)
Magical Wishes
Andy

MissDisneyisMagical

Quote from: "ford prefect"The characters are as real as I am.  Disney is a world of fantasy and I believe in Mickey the same way I believe in Santa Claus.  A willing suspension of disbelief is required.

I agree, my friends all say I live in a fantasy world.
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

candydog

Quote from: "15MagicalYears"I'm really shocked they're allowing this to be seen from within the park, talk about ruining the magic.

(Photo from DisneyCentralPlaza forum).

Wow... I know a few people have said this photo isn't "breaking the magic" because Mickey is simply being "helped off the float", but in my opinion it really does break the illusion, and is highly unprofessional. A company like Disney who value the importance of creating a magical on-stage world surely should not be letting this happen. We all know the extent that Disney goes to in order to ensure nothing considered "backstage" can be seen by guests. This photo is just really surprising! I'm sure this won't be the protocol every day. I'd like to think that they had a reason for doing this. Maybe there was something wrong with the float and the crew had to get the cast members off right away?

There have been "high" floats before and characters were never loaded on and off where the guests could see them. I'm sure it was just a one-off.  

Mickey getting off a float using a crane may not break the magic and illusion of his character, but it does make the parade appear far less magical and far more mechanical.

lauralouisemidwinter

Quote from: "candydog"
Quote from: "15MagicalYears"I'm really shocked they're allowing this to be seen from within the park, talk about ruining the magic.

Mickey getting off a float using a crane may not break the magic and illusion of his character, but it does make the parade appear far less magical and far more mechanical.
Quote from: "candydog"

Wow... I know a few people have said this photo isn't "breaking the magic" because Mickey is simply being "helped off the float", but in my opinion it really does break the illusion, and is highly unprofessional. A company like Disney who value the importance of creating a magical on-stage world surely should not be letting this happen. We all know the extent that Disney goes to in order to ensure nothing considered "backstage" can be seen by guests. This photo is just really surprising! I'm sure this won't be the protocol every day. I'd like to think that they had a reason for doing this. Maybe there was something wrong with the float and the crew had to get the cast members off right away?

There have been "high" floats before and characters were never loaded on and off where the guests could see them. I'm sure it was just a one-off.  

Well thank the lord above that he did not take his hat off (head) and then get down. They will have a few hic-ups, these are only soft openings, I asure you it has probably happened before it's just no one has seen it.
Rant over ;)
But why did they replace Tink with donald that's what I want to know :)
Laura Louise

My yesterday is your today, My today is your tomorrow.

DLP - 2011 - May/June - Santa Fe
DLP - 2012 - February - Santa Fe - VERY COLD
DLP - 2013 - March - Santa Fe
DLP - 2014 - September Santa Fe - CAN'T WAIT