Disney Magic on Parade!

Started by Poppy The Monkey, September 24, 2011, 09:56:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lorum

Quote from: "ed-uk"I like Disney Magic on Parade. I can't think of much to say about it except it gives a 5 year old parade a fresh look. I like the floating faires and 20th anniversary characters. Music and choreography work well together and they've got rid of the terrible juglers.

That's true. But you look so conformist.
"If you can dream it, you can do it"

ed-uk

I don't know what you mean by conformist, and why the big letters?
Ed & David

Lorum

I don't actually know what's the matter with me. Everything I say is a cause for concern. lol  :lol:

The big letters are because I wanted to indicate where I agree.

Conformist is because it seems that you didn't expect anything from the new parade.

britincgn

Does seem a disappointment ,this is a very important year for DLP.
Why ruin a good parade .

They should have kept the old parade just added a 20th sign and instead brought back the original goose bump parade MSEP.

alternativerock123

I wasn't going to watch any of the videos on the new parade as I wanted to be "surprised" when I saw it live in two weeks - oh boy I would have been surprised.

Overall I think that most people are being "a little" harsh on the Entertainment department - yes there are somethings that need to be improved - but over all it's not THAT bad.

First things first - Yes, the Fairies and other dancers that are on wheels do look funny and slightly creepy - however it's unique! I've never seen anything like that used in a Disney parade before (unless there is somewhere like Tokyo)

2) The music loop is RIDICULOUS! Even after the third loop I was about to go mad - yes it forced it into my brain so now I'm singing it as I type - but over all - The song is a nice Show-stop song - not a loop song. I thought they could easily make a new score - or even use the same one just adjust for the new order...
which brings me into the third point -

3) I personally love the Princesses, but I feel like they just shoved them at the beginning to get them out the way. I thought each "coach" would be one behind the other - not so close together. Also poor Tiana and Naveen look squished up there. Nice to see Flynn and Punzel though.

4) The first float looks pretty all right to me - looks empty though. They could have easily placed the three-good fairys on and had some "introduction" 20th dancers or something.

5) I find it odd that some characters have been pushed off some floats (Jessie, Bert, Pinocchio) Mixing them with the Dancers looked odd.

6) Massive improvement of the dancers! I love the energy they give off - all of them. Some of the choreography is a little - Daf*k? But overall - a nice vibe!

7) The final float does look amazingly decorated - I don't mind the addition Duffy - I just found it random having Tinkerbell on the back of it!  MOVE HER TO THE FIRST FLOAT!

But yeah - I felt a bit disappointed at first - then I got happy again and felt the energy in the middle - then slowly lost it because I was becoming brain-washed with the song.
I still cannot wait for this in two weeks - I hope they iron out some of the kinks before the start of the celebration though.

:thumbs:
31st Aug - 1st Sept 2010 = Kyriad Torcy (First Time <3)
11th - 14th July 2011 = New York Hotel
2nd - 4th Aug 2011 = Kyriad Torcy
31st Oct 2011 = Day Trip
13th March 2012 (Disneyland Cal)
10th - 13th April 2012= Hotel L'Elysée
30th May - 1st June 2012 = Hotel L'Elysée
31st Oct - 1st Nov 2012 = Residence Prestige
18th - 20th July 2013 - Residence Prestige
9th -11th Nov 2013 = Hotel L'Elysée (First Christmas Trip!)
Coming soon:
29th April - 1st May = Hipark Serris.

ed-uk

I must be missing something because I don't even see any kinks. I'm sure they will make some changes, maybe the faires won't float on rainy days. For me it makes a refreshing change and I'm looking forward to taking some new pictures of the parade. I'm not disappointed because I don't view it as a new parade really.
Ed & David

Anthony

I didn't have very high expectations, but it does look a little lacking. Besides the fun segways, which are a really clever idea to make the fairies float, there don't seem to be enough additions to make it feel truly refreshed.

The princess carriages are gorgeous, but the opening float has unfortunately gone from being one of my all-time favourite DLP parade floats to a really weak opening. The placement of the castle, the pumpkin... it just doesn't really work, and it's visually dull. It could maybe be improved simply by adding some kind of colourful "Magic on Parade" logo to make it feel more official. At the moment with the awkward, off-model castle it reminds me of those Chinese imitation parks.

Quote from: "alternativerock123"7) The final float does look amazingly decorated - I don't mind the addition Duffy - I just found it random having Tinkerbell on the back of it!  MOVE HER TO THE FIRST FLOAT!
Even better, move her to the Magic of Fantasy float so she can tease the pirates in front of the ship, while Peter Pan fights Captain Hook on the deck!

ed-uk

Maybe most of the budget has gone on Dreams and they've compromised on the parade. Now a new parade for the 20th, that really would have been something.
Ed & David

Anthony

Yes, I presume the budgets are at completely opposite ends of the scale.

A new parade wasn't really necessary for the 20th. Personally I still loved Once Upon a Dream Parade and would have been happy for it to continue with the same, original floats. The name always had to change as soon as they decided on "Dreams" for the nighttime spectacular, but it's a shame that apparently meant destroying the opening float.

Keeping the villains float and putting money into a brand new float (say, for Tangled and Up, as a nice down/up contrast) would have been a better improvement. I can't be sure yet that this "Magic on Parade" makeover hasn't just jumbled up a top-quality parade. Though as usual, it'll probably play far better to your average visitor, someone who isn't familiar with the original parade and doesn't constantly draw contrasts.

candydog

Quote from: "candydog"I'm not a fan of the music, but I rather like the new opening float and finale float. It's nice to see a fab five float which isn't just a generic castle like in most parks. I also love the zooming fairies and wizards - not sure how it's done but it's pretty cool.

One thing I don't like however is the fact that the villains' float wasn't replaced by something else. I know that they added some carriages for the princesses who got kicked off their own float, but it still has left the parade rather short, with only seven actual floats. I think that they should have stripped down the villains' unit and rebuilt it into something brand new, like a Beauty and the Beast/Sleeping Beauty float or something (In keeping with the two halves to a float concept) and called it "The Magic of Beauty" or something. (Although that would be a very shallow name). The point is, adding a float wouldn't have been too big a stretch for the budget, what about a Sleeping Beauty/Snow White float? they'd fit well together.

I at least hope that if the villains' float has gone into retirement, it'll get an annual outing at Halloween as part of a pre-parade or something.

Just to add a few notes to my original post -  I can see how people wouldn't like the new opening float. It looks fine to me but not as pretty as the design we saw a while ago. It's nice to see classic characters like the three good fairies and Merlin getting an outing though!

I only noticed Tinkerbell after posting this as well - I think it's cute that they put her in the little cubby where figment (?) used to be, but she does look a little odd squeezed in there, especially seeing as in recent years she has become quite a high-profile character. To keep her on that particular float, they could have moved her up to the ledge on the very back, behind but just slightly below Mickey, or even fixed something like a swing onto the back for her to sit in. Alternatively, she could have been placed on the opening float.

Also, I didn't see Pluto in the parade? Is he there? If not, he should really be in Duffy's place next to Goofy on the finale float. Duffy is a great character and addition to the parks I'm sure, but he's not one of the VIPs yet.

ed-uk

I like the finale float with Mickey Mouse perched on top watching over his kingdom and the floating wizards are a great addition. The opening float doesn't look as good as the original, but with the floating fairies and royal carriages the front of the parade looks better to me.
Ed & David

littlemermaid83

Tinkerbell had been removed from the parade yesterday and Donald was sat in her place.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Lorum

We must be honest. This is not a great parade. The Castle is in its place, at the end of Main Street. It shouldn't have been reproduced in a float, because it looks like the Pre-Parade Halloween float.

They have understood the word "Magic" as "Magician", and not in the Disney meaning. It's not a Carnival. If you don't have enough budget, then don't make cheap updates.

200 posts!

DGRavenswood

Well... I really like the subtle little "innovations" like the three fairies' movement or the way the princesses' chariots are steered.

If they were to change one single thing, though, the castle's design should definitely be revised. I suppose it'll look even worse in front of the real castle.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

ed-uk

But would many people compare the castle float to the original? The castle is the symbol of DLP, so why not feature it on a float to celebrate the parks 20th birthday.
Ed & David