Storms hit Disneyland Resort Paris

Started by Patrick, December 08, 2006, 06:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick

QuoteEarly Friday December 8, 2006, winds up to 120 km/h were measured and resulted in closures of the Main Street, U.S.A. , it's a small world promenade (the wide walkway in front of it's a small world) and all open air attractions, such as Dumbo, Orbitron, Alice's Curious Labyrinth. Guests were guided around the closed areas respectively through the arcades on the sides of the Main Street. When the storm continued and winds grew stronger during the day the Walt Disney Studios park with it's wide, unprotected walkways was closed completly for Friday December 8, 2006.
Source (dlp.info)

I knew London was hit yesterday and as usual stupid media start claiming it's the biggest tragedy ever the way they report it.  This must be very weird for Disneyland Resort Paris having to close parks.  Remember think the last time they closed a whole park was 26th December 1999 :? .

Samninetysix

Yeh, the weather has been sooo wierd just lately, just look at august - wettest month on record for the UK and when I spoke to the campsite owner where we stayed she said it was the wettest august in france for 20 years, personally, I blame it on George Bush  :shock:

geomelin

I really can believe it!  :cry:

When we fisrt went to DisneyLand Paris was during the Millenium, after all that damages the wind did in the region. And just now, when we are planning to go back, six years later, it is happening again!

Are there any damages?

Previous Trips

(1) 2000 - Disneyland Paris (Millennium Celebration)
(2) 2002 - Disneyworld Orlando - Disney Cruise to the Bahamas
(3) 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Christmas Season)
(4) 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Summer Season)

DisneyBud

Has this been happening all over the country? I'm in Oxford at the moment doing university interviews and the weather has been a bit rainy, but nothing that dramatic.  Wasn't there a tornado in London, or have I been misinformed?

Patrick

Yes there was a mini tornado yesterday in North London and looks like the winds have been travelling over to Paris.

Owain

This is all part of what people have been trying to stop in the world
                                         " global warming"
                                                     :evil:

Patrick

Quote from: "Owain"This is all part of what people have been trying to stop in the world
                                         " global warming"
                                                     :evil:

Of course winter storms never happened before such a thing as global warming did they :? .

Samninetysix

Blame the Yanks!!! :D

Anthony

^ It's a shame the forum doesn't have an ignore feature for posts like that.

The worst damage I've read about is some construction fences blown over near STT - I guess they cleared the Studios because of the amount of temporary construction, things could get blown around far too easily.  We could have a whirlpool in the sky of tarp, scaffolding, art deco tiles, coral, desert rocks and arabian lamps. :lol:

Poppy The Monkey

A run-down of the studios damage...

Nearly all the movie posters on the lighting rigs have gone.

The starry light effect on Studio 1 has blown away.

Most of the hanging decorations at the entrance to the WDS have blown down.

Cars poster is loose on Studio 1.

Most of the TOT construction fences were blown down along with some in Animation Courtyard.

The tarps on the TOT were blown loose too.

Guests were kept in all attractions for 1 hour from 1pm, and not allowed to leave. Resulting in 2 showings of Animagique and Cinemagique for the same audience. All you could ride RNRC etc. Anyone outside during the height of the storm was ushered into studio one and told they couldn't leave - cinefollies played multiple shows as did the band.

Guests were evacuated from the park at 2pm through the backstage areas taking them directly to the Disneyland Park via the cast members entrances.

Disneyland Park is mainly unaffected.

Pics and more info will follow later.

The Butlin Boy

Uh-oh, that doesn't sound to good! :?

QuoteMost of the TOT construction fences were blown down along with some in Animation Courtyard.

Shame, we should have had some photographers from the forum down there, one could have ran into the TOT and another could have ran into Crush and taken some good pics :lol:

mehdi5

At least it's only minor things these things can be repaired in a day it would be a real disaster if the water tower or tower of terror collapsed but i hope we will never see that

thebatman_1

After 2pm it did really start to calm down, though all characters were ushered outside city hall. It was wierd walking down Discovery Arcade though which is best described as a bomb shelter at the time. It had a surreal feeling to it, because at first there was no music playing out on Main St, and trash cans were laying flat down all over the place. Looking out my window right now it seems perfectly fine outside here in Bailly Romanvilliers, though got work at 7am so best be off to bed.

Patrick

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"Cars poster is loose on Studio 1.

Oh I so hope that bids an end to that stupid Cars poster, I'm so sick of it.  But it would have been so surreal to have been in the studios, all of what guests got for an hour seem rather fun.  Nice to see DLRP know how to cope well in an emergency like this.  Continuous riding of rnrc and viewings of cinefolies would have been fun :lol: .

Hilary

Well, I'm off to the Park today - glad to hear it's still there! I've only got a one Park pass so was having to give WDS a miss anyway, but if I see anything exciting I'll take photos.