What is DLRP doing about the rodent problem

Started by mary, July 30, 2011, 09:26:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

I have never seen cats in DLP, that is the common approach in Anaheim and Orlando.
since 2001 (many before that)

peter

Quote from: "mary"
Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "mary"I live in an area that is surrounded by fields but I don't expect to see rats in my garden.  I understand that they will travel from surrounding areas, but there should be some programme in place to minimise the risk of them appearing from the bushes near restaurants.

What sort of program would that be exactly. An ad campaign? Higher fines for trespassing rodents? They're rodents. It's a park, with trees and bushes and lots of food strewn about. If you were a mouse, where would you be?

HaHaHa - maybe wit would help kill them off!  Doesn't do much for guests who are seriously concerned and would like to be reassured that the problem is being taken seriously with regular measures being taken to minimise the problem.  I'm sure that DLRP are doing all they can - I just wondered what sort of measures they take to ensure that the problem does not escalate to such an extent that the park has to be closed in order to deal with a massive infestation.

Going a bit far, don't you think? As far as I can tell, most people haven't seen any rodents, and when they open ratatouille, they can call them the street entertainers. Rodents live near food, it's a fact of nature, and dlp can't stop nature

andrewuk

Saw a rat when queuing to BTM last time. Most of the guests found the rat quite entertaining. As with all populations all you have to do is reduce their access to food and they will go away.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

pussinboots

Quote from: "mary"HaHaHa - maybe wit would help kill them off!  Doesn't do much for guests who are seriously concerned and would like to be reassured that the problem is being taken seriously with regular measures being taken to minimise the problem.  I'm sure that DLRP are doing all they can - I just wondered what sort of measures they take to ensure that the problem does not escalate to such an extent that the park has to be closed in order to deal with a massive infestation.

I'm sorry, but that sounds like Sky News during a particularly slow news week. We just went from evaluating whether this is a problem at all to some sort of horror — or, most likely, comedy — scenario of mice and rats scouring wildebeest-like over Frontierland and a "Fermé" sign hanging from the park's chewed-up entrance gates.

Rats in the kitchen, that's a problem, and one that Disney would have had to have addressed because they still haven't been closed down. A rat on your plate, that's a problem, unless it's properly cooked and served with Béarnaise sauce. The incidental rat looking for leftovers in what is essentially a large expanse of parkland, that's to be expected and virtually impossible to avoid. Unless, of course, you buy hundreds of cats. But then how do you get rid of the cats?

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"Rats in the kitchen, that's a problem, and one that Disney would have had to have addressed because they still haven't been closed down. A rat on your plate, that's a problem, unless it's properly cooked and served with Béarnaise sauce. The incidental rat looking for leftovers in what is essentially a large expanse of parkland, that's to be expected and virtually impossible to avoid. Unless, of course, you buy hundreds of cats. But then how do you get rid of the cats?

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "Anthony"
Quote from: "pussinboots"Rats in the kitchen, that's a problem, and one that Disney would have had to have addressed because they still haven't been closed down. A rat on your plate, that's a problem, unless it's properly cooked and served with Béarnaise sauce. The incidental rat looking for leftovers in what is essentially a large expanse of parkland, that's to be expected and virtually impossible to avoid. Unless, of course, you buy hundreds of cats. But then how do you get rid of the cats?

=D>  =D>  =D>

"Ooh! I mean, each cat will live about twelve years, I can't wait... and each cat has nine lives! That's four times twelve, times nine... No, it's less than that. Anyway, that's more than I'll ever live. I'll be gone! No, oh, no. They'll be gone. I'll think of a way. After all, there are millions of reasons why I should. All of them dollars. Millions. Those cats have got to go! "

DGRavenswood

There are cats at DLP. You won't see them while the park is crowded but they will generally come out at night. If you linger around places like Adventure Isle right before closing in summer you might catch a glimpse. There are also many species of birds, there are bats, rabbits, insects, fish, rodents and any other animal you will find in a large outdoor expanse with a good deal of vegetation, which is not counting those that are part of the show. DLP is quite a aware of all this, of course, to the point that they have their own department to keep track of the resort's wild fauna.

So to speak of a rodent "problem" seems a bit exaggerated for now, as long as they don't grow to 5 feet and start wearing pants...
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "DGRavenswood"So to speak of a rodent "problem" seems a bit exaggerated for now, as long as they don't grow to 5 feet and start wearing pants...

5 foot rodents wearing pants, honestly what planet are you from? Next you'll be talking about other ridiculous sights like giant ducks wearing sailor outfits, elephants that can fly, or hot tasty pizzas at a reasonable price from Buzz's Pizza Planet.

:P

davewasbaloo

>>>Rats in the kitchen, that's a problem, and one that Disney would have had to have addressed because they still haven't been closed down. A rat on your plate, that's a problem<<<

This is my point, I do not have an issue er se with rodents in the undergrowth, or trying to get rubbish back stage (both happens at all the parks). But seeing them running around the dining room of the Blue Lagoon and cast members shrugging when the attention is drawn towards them is unacceptable. Any where else in the Europe and the restaurant would be closed by the authorities.
since 2001 (many before that)

ford prefect

You are rarely more than three metres away from a rat when on the ground, they are very common, and for the most part are quite harmless.  

Speaking as someone who kept rats i feel i need to point out that they are not all bad!

yes, they are opportunistic scavengers, however you can expect to see them almost anywhere. It doesn't mean that they shouldn't be controlled and that I would be happy seeing them in a restaurant.

However seeing a rat in the park is no different from seeing them on London Underground.  In all the times I have been to DLP I have never sen a rat (apart from the wooden one in Blue Lagoon)

if rats can put you off visiting somewhere the you may have to never leave your home.

rats are just hamsters with bad agents!
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Riebi

Hm I saw the most rats of my life last year in new york (the city not the hotel). They where at every subway station and nobody was interested in any way.

For DLP I must say I haven´t seen one. I´ve seen mices, salamanders, squirrels (I have no problem with them, I am a squirrel at my own), birds, spiders, worms ....

I don´t think you can keep "the nature" out of a park which has that much green space.
The only think that they can do is to control it a bit. There must be a programm to keep the rat population small. I don´t like to see a rat in restaurant. But I also don´t wont to see a cat, a mice or a bird in a restaurant.

Back to new york: They have a big rat killing programm but as always with nature: we will always lost at the end and that means, that also with a big programm rats will stay everywhere. Also in your home town  :P
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

captain rocket

I have noticed on a couple of occasions traps set up in the grass verges beside the Railroad and have always assumed that these were to catch rats by the size of the cages.

Tinkswishes28

Are the rats actually in the restaurants etc, or just about in the parks?
2005 DLRP

Josh

Definitely not in the restaurants. If you do see them in the parks, though, it'll be rare. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ed-uk

We stayed at DLP in August and didn't see any rats. We had a meal in the Blue Lagoon restaurant and we didn't see any rats in there or in any other restaurant.
Ed & David