The Future of Disneyland Paris

Started by dagobert, June 09, 2011, 03:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrewuk

Quote from: "dagobert"If I'm not mistaken, Indy was added to DLP, because the park was killed by attendance. That's also the reason why Storybook Canal Boat and Casey Jr. were added as well.

They chose the looping coaster, because people demanded another thrill ride and SM was still two years away. I think it should have only been a temporary ride, that's why it is not very well themed.

Yes, but it was still successful and the cars had to be altered to accommodate the huge numbers wanting to ride it.

I really don't enjoy riding it, the loop is far too tight and there's no story to get into, but I do like the surroundings.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

Patrick89

Quote from: "dagobert"You should listen to the Tim Delaney 3 part series of the Season Pass Podcast. He and his team were so passionate about Discoveryland and Space Mountain and now it's such a run down place. I'm sure he is really disappointed by the current state of SM and Discoveryland.

Wasn't that what made Disneyland so special once? The passionate Imagineers and their great works. And if we, as fans of Discoveryland, are so frustrated about all of the changes there, how should its creator feel? I think he is not too amused the development in DL...

Quote from: "Burzgrokash"It was my first thrill ride with a loop ever.

Same for me...I still remember how nervous I've been before my first ride and how I admired my mother for riding it the years before...I would never forgive Disney if they removed this place of memories  ;)

Quote from: "Burzgrokash"Did you ever ride the "Black Mamba" in Phantasialand, Germany? You feel like a milkshake afterwards ;) ).

I did, and I have to admit I felt a little bit queasy afterwards :-" But that's not what I want in Disneyland. I mean, I really like Indy and I really liked Space Mountain, they had/have some thrill and also a nice scenery/theming,  but my favourite rollercoaster is BTM, because for me, theming will always be more valuable than thrill...

Quote from: "andrewuk"I really don't enjoy riding it, the loop is far too tight and there's no story to get into, but I do like the surroundings.

Except that, as I have already mentioned, like riding it, I agree with you. The story is missing, but I really love the surroundings and the general atmosphere with the howling created by the wagons.
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

DopeyDad

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Now go and read some history of the company, and then we'll talk....

Oh behave! Should everyone have the same perspective in order to have a sensible conversation? And I don't think it fair to suggest that there is some kind of pedigree people must earn by their knowledge of the company. I personally enjoy hearing what you and all the others on this forum have to say but it is not for me to say what their comments are worth. I think you diminish your own position when you undermine others.

Burzgrokash

Quote from: "Patrick89"
Quote from: "Burzgrokash"Did you ever ride the "Black Mamba" in Phantasialand, Germany? You feel like a milkshake afterwards ;) ).

I did, and I have to admit I felt a little bit queasy afterwards :-" But that's not what I want in Disneyland. I mean, I really like Indy and I really liked Space Mountain, they had/have some thrill and also a nice scenery/theming,  but my favourite rollercoaster is BTM, because for me, theming will always be more valuable than thrill...

Theming will always be more valuable...you are very right! But a little thrill once in a while is also cool :) Don't get me wrong, I don't want a Black-Mamba-Style Ride in the DLRP, despite the theming of it would be great of course.

Aladar

I think there's no need for a Black Mamba at DLP because Space Mountain is THE BEST rollercoaster I've ever tried. But, anyway, I think there should be more thrill rides. No need for a thrill ride to be necessarily a rollercoaster, but I really would like to ride something really scary at Disneyland.

Aladar

By the way, if that rumour of a Marvel superheroes park ever comes true at DLP, this would be the greatest opportunity Disney will ever have to build a fantastic park full of thrill rides, and then the other two parks could still be as family friendly as they are now. However, Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios need an update URGENTLY!!! at least 3 or 4 new rides should be added at Disneyland, and the expansion of the Studios is something I want to get to see someday.

davewasbaloo

I would argue that if you are looking for thrills, do not go to a Disney park. They are theme parks. If you want thrills, may I recommend Port Aventura, Walibi World, or Cedar Point and Six Flags Magic Mountain.
since 2001 (many before that)

Patrick89

Quote from: "Aladar"By the way, if that rumour of a Marvel superheroes park ever comes true at DLP, this would be the greatest opportunity Disney will ever have to build a fantastic park full of thrill rides, and then the other two parks could still be as family friendly as they are now. However, Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios need an update URGENTLY!!! at least 3 or 4 new rides should be added at Disneyland, and the expansion of the Studios is something I want to get to see someday.

Sorry, but I totally disagree with you. I hate the idea of having a superhero park in DLRP, because it just does not fit for me. Disney and superheros like Spiderman? No way.
And concerning new rides: Before getting more bad rides like the recent ones, especially in TSPL, I would prefer continuing the refurbishments of older attractions. You cannot build new attractions each year and letting the old ones fall to decay.
For me, Disneyland Park could have stayed forever as it was some years ago. If something is perfect, there is no need for updates or add-ons. And the Studios had a lot of new attractions in the last couple of years.
If I had the choice between 3-4 new rides like in TSPL every year or 1 new ride like TOT every 5 years, I would choose the latter. Not that I depend on new rides - If I look at the recent ones, I wish there had been none ;)

Edit: Dave, I totally agree with you  :thumbs:
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

lil-shawn

Am also against a Marvel Park, we need something in the scale of our Disneyland Park, rich theming, hhigh quality, and good rides with less movie ti ins... but am not against Marvel charakter/movie based rides in the Studios. The only thing realy needed in this park, We have a part of Hollywood and Pixar, so make another land of Marvel and we have all this park need. Okay don´t get me wrong, they need to be heavily themed and the Pixar and Hollywood section can grow. But we realy dont need a stand alone Marvel park....

I also somehow argee with Patrick, i realy don´t need every year another new Ride to get build, but then they realy schould do some special events vor a short time or better entertainment to draw in peeps. But for this they need good marketing and because this is not happening they schould just focus on maintenance xD

Josh

The only thing that I could imagine in a Marvel Park is a lot of tall skyscrapers. I don't think there's much potential to make it look very exciting.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

DopeyDad

That's a good point, the Marvel universe ostensibly is our own, but with the existence of powers, gods, magic etc. That doesn't make for a great physical representation were it to be along the 'land' concepts. I guess things would look much more like decorated attractions rather than the thematic experience Disney typically try to sell in their parks.

DopeyDad

Saying that, I do think a third gate needs to have some kind of fundamental difference to the other two if its going to create new attendees as well as lengthen vacation stays and guest spend. But 'Marvel' on it's own, IMHO wouldn't be it. As a land within WDS could be a slightly different proposition but it would entirely depend on its design and execution.

gldc

To be honest an epcot-style park could do wonders for DLP. I think it has the perfect balance of culture, learning a couple of very high quality rides and an opportunity for a decent fire/water show.

Maybe in 15-25 years time, when (if) DLP has paid back all its debts we'll see it.

For the marvel land in the studios something such as the "amazing adventures of spiderman" as a dark ride would work perfectly, perhaps with the added element of "this is how we film spidermAn...here's the first scene" etc
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Aladar

Don`t get me wrong! I'm not saying that DLP should be full of thrill rides everywhere! But 2 or 3 aditions would be ok! For me DLP is perfect, it could stay like that for ages and I would keep going again and again, but  2 or 3 more thrill rides would be great, don't you agree? And as I said before, Thrill rides do not have to be necessarily rollercoasters, and they don't have to be the kind of rides that are forbidden for children or make you feel that you're going die, they can be softer and family friendly. Here some examples: Soarin' (From California Adventure and EPCOT), Storm Rider (From Tokyo Disney Sea), Mission Space (from Epcot), Test Track (From Epcot), Indiana Jones Adventure (From Disneyland), Expedition Everest (From Animal Kingdom... ok, this one's a rollercoaster). All of these are very well themed attractions that would fit very well at the Studios, at Discoveryland and Adventureland, which are in urgent need of new E-Ticket rides. And what do you say about that small Snow White rollercoaster that's being built at the Magic Kingdom in Florida? It probably won't be the kind of rollercoaster where you scream like a lady, but we could have it at DLP with another film's theming, like Fantasia, or Alice in Wonderland or Winnie the Pooh, or whatever you like. And don't say we cannot have a Splash Mountain because of the weather, because winter in Tokyo is very cold and hard, and they have Splash Mountain. The thing is that I don't want to go to parks like the ones that Davewasbaloo suggested, what I want is to go to Disneyland and find the world famous rides that make fans want to go, even if they live 30 minutes from DLP. Is there something at DLP that would make someone from California, Tokyo or Florida want to come to Paris? All we have is a more fantastic and elaborated theming and decoration at the Disneyland Park, nothing else!
And about the third gate, I definetly would prefer something like Tokyo Disney Sea, not only because it's Disney's most beautyful park, but also because it would be a reason for people from other continents to come to DLP. But being realistic, a Marvel park is more probable, because it would not only be cheaper, it also would be the opportunity to build a unique theme park that, if it's well themed, it could attract Marvel fans from all over the world to DLP.
I don't want to sound as if I were complaining, this is only an opinion and none should feel bad about it.

Burzgrokash

For me The Magic Kingdom was perfect before the removal of "Space Mountain: De la terre à la lune". There was just no need to add something new.
They could've added more to the studios, but leave the rest as it was.
Instead of that, they added more stuff to the Magic Kingdom and let the old attractions (for example The Nautilus) fall into decay!