The Future of Disneyland Paris

Started by dagobert, June 09, 2011, 03:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DopeyDad

Quote from: "Patrick89"I like the Temple of Peril, too. And why should it seperate families? If you argue that  way, a theme park mustn't have any thrilling rides...

Very true, although that point has been used to criticise TSPL often enough

About Autopia, and the future of DLP, I really hope this attraction is treated with some priority, I know some love it but it is antiquated technology, offering a slow loading experience with less to offer the driver than say Driving School at Legoland. Lovely grounds but getting very tatty.

I think this expanse could really offer new opportunities, and yes I would love to see the Vernian theme continue more strongly in a replacement, I think the Atlantis Lost Empire offers the right kind of tone and could provide a story for some kind of vehicle ride if a movie must be used, but the 20,000 leagues or Journey to the centre of the earth stories are obviously great. All that space could provide an attraction and proper restaurant even  8)

JelleP

If you compare the size of Autopia with Space Mountain (sorry for the bad image made in Paint...), they could do a lot with that space!
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

davewasbaloo

Man, I am involved with family in the hospital and I read so much untrue junk in here, I sadly do not have time at the mo to reply to it all. A few things to set straight:

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye was originally designed to integrate the jungle cruise, train, the EMV attraction (which is PotC scale of awesomeness) and a mine coaster. Because of R&D budget issues, it was scalled down in California to just the ride. In Tokyo it has a whole themed land (which is not a first, we have the pathetic TSPL and Fliks Fun Fair, with Carsland coming, so not without precedent). Paris was also designed to have both and the pad is still vacant. But maintenance in the supperior managed DL and TDS suffer, so I would be shocked to see it come to DLP.

Peril is somewhat temporary too, one of the plans considered ripping it out. It is an off the shelf coaster, an unthemed version can be found at Brighton Pier.

Secondly, Grizzly/Everest are not really family friendly at all. It has a number of positive and negative g's and the backwards portion is quite fierce indeed (but very fun). The only comparison that should be made is it is a coaster in a mountain. It is like comparing It's a Small World to Pirates of the Caribbean.

Lastly, I do wonder about bothering to participate on these boards. It is clear to me that I am of a time that appreciated quality, and there are far too many defenders of mediocracy on here. It is a waste of time, you will never see the light, and I will never give Disney a pass for selling out.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Now go and read some history of the company, and then we'll talk....
since 2001 (many before that)

peter

If/when Disney build on that land, they will either go for Indiana adventure, or a bigger project.

I've got to say, autopia has to be the most expensive ride to run in dlp. You need at least 7 people working one boarding area, a engineer all the time, you have another section not used, the cars run on petrol, so they cost more money, landscaping must have a nightmare with it, and to top it off, the ride is just a disappointment. In that space you could fit so much more

Burzgrokash

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Lastly, I do wonder about bothering to participate on these boards. It is clear to me that I am of a time that appreciated quality, and there are far too many defenders of mediocracy on here. It is a waste of time, you will never see the light, and I will never give Disney a pass for selling out.

I like you man! :) And I think, they are selling out with Space Mountain: Mission 2 (I mean...it's the same ride at all, except for the horrible theming inside and the removal of the cool Jules Verne Theme), Buzz Lightyear's Laser Blast (in Discoveryland! It would be ok in the studios) and Jack Sparrow installed in the Pirates of the Caribean.

That's just for summing up my opinion :)

DutchBrit

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Lastly, I do wonder about bothering to participate on these boards.

Would be a bit boring and restrictive if everyone thought the same and agreed all the time, wouldn't it?

CafeFantasia

It's great that some of you like the Temple of Peril. But I think as a "Disney" attraction it fails for a number of reasons:

• It's rough and painful, which makes it unattractive. Who wants to ride something that hurts?
• The loop is an intense element, which actually does limit the amount of people the attraction will appeal to
• It's an off-the-shelf coaster, with relatively minimal theming compared to Thunder Mountain

I guess I just don't like loops on Disney rides. I mean, theme parks don't need looping coasters or rides that go upside down to be HUGELY popular. Put it this way, how many rides go upside down at the Magic Kingdom in Florida? Zero. What about Disneyland in California? Zero. How about Tokyo Disneyland? Again, zero. What about Universal Studios Florida? Zero. Ok, how about Disney's Animal Kingdom? Zero. Epcot? Zero (not counting the temporary robocoaster they have). So basically, all the best theme parks in the World don't have looping coasters; they're not required.

SM:M3

Indiana Jones was added, with a loop, due to a lack of thrilling rides, although you may not like it many people do, plus I would say it is a family attraction by the amount of children who go on it. It appeals to people looking for their first looping "big" rollercoaster, and all rollercoasters get rough, look at Space Mountain, that gives some serious head-banging.
I don't want to seem as if I'm attacking your view, I'm not, but people go to Disneyland for different reasons, and personally I see less reasons to go these days.
And davewasbaloo, if you do leave I think it would be a disaster for these forums, recently there has been a reduction in serious conversation such as this and to lose your valued input would be very bad.

andrewuk

Quote from: "Alan"It's great that some of you like the Temple of Peril. But I think as a "Disney" attraction it fails for a number of reasons:

• It's rough and painful, which makes it unattractive. Who wants to ride something that hurts?
• The loop is an intense element, which actually does limit the amount of people the attraction will appeal to
• It's an off-the-shelf coaster, with relatively minimal theming compared to Thunder Mountain

I guess I just don't like loops on Disney rides. I mean, theme parks don't need looping coasters or rides that go upside down to be HUGELY popular. Put it this way, how many rides go upside down at the Magic Kingdom in Florida? Zero. What about Disneyland in California? Zero. How about Tokyo Disneyland? Again, zero. What about Universal Studios Florida? Zero. Ok, how about Disney's Animal Kingdom? Zero. Epcot? Zero (not counting the temporary robocoaster they have). So basically, all the best theme parks in the World don't have looping coasters; they're not required.

None of those are in Europe, DLP didn't have loops before Indy and SM opened, and they was a huge successes at the time (not just because of the loops but they certainly helped, and make our SM more unique). My (and I think Disney's) perception is that a larger part of the European theme park market wants big thrills (and therefore looping coasters) than those in other parts of the world. But I agree with your criticisms of temple du peril: it is not much fun to ride, despite the lovely jungle surroundings.
July 2003 My Travel Explorers
May 2004 Sequoia Lodge
July 2006 Patio St Antoine @Nation (RER commute to DLRP)
December 2007 Kyriad Val de France
August 2009 Hotel New York
May 2015 Hotel Cheyenne

dagobert

If I'm not mistaken, Indy was added to DLP, because the park was killed by attendance. That's also the reason why Storybook Canal Boat and Casey Jr. were added as well.

They chose the looping coaster, because people demanded another thrill ride and SM was still two years away. I think it should have only been a temporary ride, that's why it is not very well themed. I have to admit that I also like Indy, especially in the evening when it's already dark. But I would be very very happy to see it replaced with the Indiana Jones Adventure. I've ridden the Dinosaur at DAK, it's the same technology, and I loved that ride. Unfortunately DLRP can't afford such an attraction, because it needs a lot of people and money to maintain that ride.

According to Tim Delaney, the Imagineer of Discoveryland and SM (the first version, I wonder what he thinks about that stupid Mission 2), he chose a launch coaster with loopings and corkscrews, because he didn't like the lame SM coasters in the US parks. I thought that if you travel into space than it should be intense and fast, like a real rocket launch.

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Lastly, I do wonder about bothering to participate on these boards. It is clear to me that I am of a time that appreciated quality, and there are far too many defenders of mediocracy on here. It is a waste of time, you will never see the light, and I will never give Disney a pass for selling out.

As someone else stated, that would be a disaster for this forum. The tagline of the forum is "discuss the magic" and you more than anyone lives up to this, and that would be very bad to lose. Look back at last year when TSPL was discussed - waay more people defended the mediocracy back then and a lot fewer defended the top class of previous Disney theme park entertainment and imagineering. Each day now I go on this forum to follow this debate and your inputs are part of the reasons for this.

Quote from: "Alan"It's great that some of you like the Temple of Peril. But I think as a "Disney" attraction it fails for a number of reasons:

As dagobert I actually like Temple of Peril but I would not hestitate any second to replace it would an attraction like Indina Jones Adventure be a possibility. The highlighted point is the reason for this.
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Patrick89

Actually, I like the atmosphere and the surroundings of the Temple of Peril...Even if it does not have a story like BTM and the tracks inside the Temple lie pretty bare, I like the scenery. For me it's part of the "old" Disneyland, even if it's not as sophisticated as other attractions, I would be very sad if it was replaced.
And if I look at some of the new attractions and how poorly they are themed, the Temple of Peril appears like a paradise of theming to me...

One serious question: Does Indy really hurt you that much? I cannot remember having any problems myself...However, after every SM ride I have the feeling that my knees are gone (especially in the second row of the vehicles) and my head hurts, too...

Quote from: "dagobert"Tim Delaney, the Imagineer of Discoveryland and SM (the first version, I wonder what he thinks about that stupid Mission 2)

I would say he'd like to launch it into outer space ;)
Secure all cargo, all passengers aboard!

---------------------------------------------

Bring back the moon!

dagobert

Quote from: "Patrick89"One serious question: Does Indy really hurt you that much? I cannot remember having any problems myself...However, after every SM ride I have the feeling that my knees are gone (especially in the second row of the vehicles) and my head hurts, too...

I've also never had any problems, but I liked the backwards version better.

Quote from: "dagobert"Tim Delaney, the Imagineer of Discoveryland and SM (the first version, I wonder what he thinks about that stupid Mission 2)

I would say he'd like to launch it into outer space ;)

You should listen to the Tim Delaney 3 part series of the Season Pass Podcast. He and his team were so passionate about Discoveryland and Space Mountain and now it's such a run down place. I'm sure he is really disappointed by the current state of SM and Discoveryland.

Burzgrokash

Quote from: "Patrick89"For me it's part of the "old" Disneyland, even if it's not as sophisticated as other attractions, I would be very sad if it was replaced.
And if I look at some of the new attractions and how poorly they are themed, the Temple of Peril appears like a paradise of theming to me...

For me I would be very sad too. It was my first thrill ride with a loop ever. Besides that I think that a Theme Park needs some Thrill rides. I mean those rides in Disneyland are not that "badass"(Did you ever ride the "Black Mamba" in Phantasialand, Germany? You feel like a milkshake afterwards ;) ). If they would remove them, for me it would be kind of boring, although I'm not going to DLRP, just because of the Thrill Rides in the first place.