TDR | Tokyo Disney Resort hit by tsunami

Started by Kristof, March 11, 2011, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Japan was hit by a massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake this morning, causing a tsunami crashing into Tokyo, including the Tokyo Disney Resort.  News reports show the parking lot flooded and several locals are tweeting the Tokyo Disney Sea park is currently flooding as well (to be confirmed).  :(

(Image via @WDWNT)

dagobert

That's terrible. I've jsut seen pictures of the tsunami on TV. It really is terrible.

dagobert

Here are some pictures from Imagineer Steve Davidson:

http://twitpic.com/48e9ob

http://twitpic.com/48e9o7

norhel

Not good at all. Just saw some pictures from Tokyo at a newspaper on the web, and it dosn't look pretty.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

pussinboots

According to various sources on Alain Littaye's blog, the damage at the parks is minor or invisible, and only the DisneySea parking lot has been flooded. The rest of Japan however... Goodness. Did you see that wave of fiery debris?

coruscantpt

Well looks like people are going to stay inside the parks for the evening :( And both parks will stay close for tomorrow and possibly sunday too:(
DLP - July 1994 / March 2002 / August 2007 / December 2010 / 2011 - Anual Passholder \":P\"

WDW - May 2006 / May 2008 / August 2009

Teacup

I was so relieved that the first I heard of this was through one of my best friends, who conveniently moved away from Tokyo to Osaka a few weeks before this hit and is thankfully away from the trouble.

Really hoping that the damage isn't too bad to the resort, though it's obviously going to take a lot of work. Latest news says that due to the damage to the car park, the beams holding up the monorail are taking damage too, so that may be shut for repairs for a while and the flooding in DisneySea is getting worse.

Also lets not forget that the tidal wave will affect the Hawaii resort which has yet to even open.
Previous stays
Santa Fe September 1999
Cheyenne November 2002
Sequoia Lodge September 2010
New York July 2011
Magic Circus September 2012

Josh

I've just found a video posted by someone who was filming at the time of the earthquake.

[youtube:3w0tfqp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWEQny9Htx8[/youtube:3w0tfqp8]
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Festival Disney

wow, the hanging basket and speaker posts were shaking quite badly, but I'm glad to see how calm everyone stayed!
The PA announcement is good, too. "we have just expereienced an earthquake"  :thumbs:
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

norhel

Quote from: "Festival Disney"but I'm glad to see how calm everyone stayed!
Agreed. Seems like they was use to having earthquake.
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

dagobert

I'm so glad that no discussion about the damages at TDR started here. It's so terrible what happened in Japan and my opinion the people matter and not a themepark. It's unbelievable what I read at some non-English forums, where people are worried about their holidays in Japan in a few weeks.

peter

Quote from: "dagobert"It's unbelievable what I read at some non-English forums, where people are worried about their holidays in Japan in a few weeks.

that's just disgusting. thousands probably dead and all they can think of is "well, i hope its ok when we get there"

deisy

This is an unimaginable natural disaster! I think of all the people who never see each other for their loved ones, the damage can be remedied, but with no lives lost.

Scissorsboi

I'm beyond impressed at how professionally handled it was by their operations team. Even in the face of an emergency it's handled to perfection! That pro-active approach undoubtedly saved many lives, here's hoping that nothing else happens in the days following.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Camthalio

Quote from: "dagobert"I'm so glad that no discussion about the damages at TDR started here. It's so terrible what happened in Japan and my opinion the people matter and not a themepark. It's unbelievable what I read at some non-English forums, where people are worried about their holidays in Japan in a few weeks.

Possibly some of the people were also worried about their friends they wanted to meet during their vacation in Tokyo?! I would like to know what forums you are exactly talking about!
| 1999 | 2001 | 2002 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 |
Disneyland Resort California: | 2005 | 2008 | 2010 | Walt Disney World: | 2011|[/color]