TDR | Tokyo Disney Resort hit by tsunami

Started by Kristof, March 11, 2011, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Quote from: "Camthalio"
Quote from: "dagobert"I'm so glad that no discussion about the damages at TDR started here. It's so terrible what happened in Japan and my opinion the people matter and not a themepark. It's unbelievable what I read at some non-English forums, where people are worried about their holidays in Japan in a few weeks.

Possibly some of the people were also worried about their friends they wanted to meet during their vacation in Tokyo?! I would like to know what forums you are exactly talking about!

I think you know what forum I'm talking about, since you are from Germany. I have to apologize, because honestly I didn't read all posts, since I was a bit disgusted how people reacted on a member who pointed that out and so I didn't want to read further. Now I have read all posts and I'm sure all members are worried about their friends and about the people in Japan. Nevertheless I think it is more important that the country recovers than a themepark, even if it is a Disney park. I've also friends from Japan who I met during my time in the US and that's why I reacted that way, because at that time I didn't know that they and their families are fine. Again I'm sorry that I may have insulted you or someone else over there.

I've read in your signature that you planned to go to Tokyo in May. I'm sorry for you that it may not be possible.

PS: I was also part of that forum when it started, but I've never posted that much.

Camthalio

Quote from: "dagobert"I think you know what forum I'm talking about, since you are from Germany. I have to apologize, because honestly I didn't read all posts, since I was a bit disgusted how people reacted on a member who pointed that out and so I didn't want to read further. Now I have read all posts and I'm sure all members are worried about their friends and about the people in Japan. Nevertheless I think it is more important that the country recovers than a themepark, even if it is a Disney park. I've also friends from Japan who I met during my time in the US and that's why I reacted that way, because at that time I didn't know that they and their families are fine. Again I'm sorry that I may have insulted you or someone else over there.

Okay, thanks for the reply! When the thread in the other forum was started, nobody did know that the impacts of this earthquake would be so horrible! Of course people are much more important than a theme park, but can you really blame a Disney fan for being interested in how the future of the Tokyo Disney Resort will look like? The fact that someone is worried about his vacation doesn't necessarily tell you that he is not caring about the people! I? only wanted to clarify this!
| 1999 | 2001 | 2002 | 2005 | 2006 | 2007 | 2008 | 2009 | 2010 |
Disneyland Resort California: | 2005 | 2008 | 2010 | Walt Disney World: | 2011|[/color]

dagobert

I'm happy that we made our points clear. I was just so upset that people were worrying about their holidays while I and many other people were waiting for an answer from their friends. You are right that nobody could think that this eartquake turns out to be so horribly. Maybe I was just overreacting. Again I'm sorry.

dagobert

Screamscape.com has posted an official document from OLC which shows that the parks aren't damaged:

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/bl ... 28_01e.pdf

http://www.screamscape.com/html/tokyo_disney_.htm

Any informations when the parks will reopen?

DGRavenswood

From what I hear they're waiting until the power supply is stable again...
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

peter

i found out that what happened was a process of liquefaction. this is something that scientists dont understand. basically, the ground takes on liquid characteristics, and water comes through the soil. it even changes concrete and gravel
it really isn't understood. so i think they need to make sure, that it doesn't happen again

Josh

Tokyo Disneyland was built on land that had been specially compacted to prevent liquification. The only problem was that they don't seem to have done it for the car park.

But I'm more worried about that second earthquake that happened today. It was about a magnitude 7, so it was about 100 times weaker than the one last month. Luckily, no one was hurt this time, but I'm wondering if it damaged TDL again.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

dagobert

peter

Quote from: "Meph"Tokyo Disneyland was built on land that had been specially compacted to prevent liquification. The only problem was that they don't seem to have done it for the car park.

But I'm more worried about that second earthquake that happened today. It was about a magnitude 7, so it was about 100 times weaker than the one last month. Luckily, no one was hurt this time, but I'm wondering if it damaged TDL again.

the thing is, it was only 5 miles below ground, which is one of the shallowest epicentres for a japanese earthquake. because of that, there is a good chance the parks were damaged

dagobert

OLC press release about the opening of Tokyo Disneyland:
http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/bl ... 2_011e.pdf

Reopening of Tokyo Disneyland® Park

URAYASU, CHIBA— Tokyo Disney Resort® announced today that it will reopen Tokyo Disneyland Park on April 15, 2011. Both Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea® Parks have been temporarily closed from March 12 following the Great East Japan Earthquake.

Tokyo Disneyland Park will reopen while making every effort to conserve the use of electricity in its operations. Furthermore, a portion of the ticket price will be donated toward the relief and recovery of the disaster-affected areas.

Tokyo DisneySea Park remains temporarily closed for the time being, but we are aiming toward the earliest reopening of this Park as well.

Finally, Oriental Land Co., Ltd. would like to send our heartfelt condolences to all who have been affected by the Great East Japan Earthquake. We would also like to take this opportunity to express our apologies and gratitude to all who have been concerned by the temporary closure of the Parks. We will continue to strive toward providing an experience filled with dreams and happiness to as many guests as possible, and will make our best corporate effort to answer the needs and expectations of as many people as possible.

Tokyo Disneyland Reopening Details

Reopening Date: April 15, 2011
Operating Hours: 8:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Ticket Prices: Regular prices
- For each guest admitted to the Park through May 14, 2011, 300 yen will be donated to the Japanese Red Cross Society toward the relief and recovery of the disaster-affected areas.

Other: The operating conditions of the Park may change without prior notice depending on the situation of the power supply at the time. Also, some facilities may be temporarily closed for regular inspections or for minor earthquake-related repairs.

Power-Saving Efforts

A number of efforts are being made to conserve electricity in the Disney theme park operations, as follows:

Shortened Park Operating Hours:
Usually at this period of the year, the Parks are open until 10:00 p.m. However, in an effort to save power, Tokyo Disneyland will close at 6:00 p.m. for the time being.

Reducing the Use of Park Equipment:
Indoor and outdoor lighting in the Park will be reduced, but without compromising the safety of our guests. Also, the use of escalators and water fountains will be restricted, the temperature of air conditioning units will be adjusted, and electric hand dryers in the restrooms will be turned off.

Conservation Efforts in the Offices:
Efforts are being made in the back offices to conserve energy, such as reducing lighting in the offices, lobbies and corridors; adjusting the temperature of air conditioning units; suspending the use of electric hand dryers in the restrooms; limiting the use of elevators, etc. Implementation of generators is currently being studied as one measure to cover possible power shortages.

Other Facilities in Tokyo Disney Resort

Tokyo DisneySea Park
The Park is ready to welcome guests, and is aiming for reopening at the earliest possible date.

Disney Hotels
Disney Ambassador® Hotel and Tokyo Disneyland® Hotel will reopen on April 15. With the reopening, both hotels will donate 1,000 yen per room per night of stay through May 14 to the Japanese Red Cross Society for the relief and recovery of the disaster-affected areas. Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta® is scheduled to reopen at the same time as Tokyo DisneySea Park.

Ikspiari®
Ikspiari has been open since March 28 with shortened operating hours.

Cirque du Soleil® Theatre Tokyo
Shows will begin again on April 23.

Disney Resort Line
The monorail has been in operation since April 2 under a reduced operating schedule.

Note: Tokyo Disney Resort recommends that guests use public transportation to come to the Resort

mattboywonder

The re-opening date is actually the parks 28th birthday.  There was speculation they would reduce the ticket price due to the shorter opening hours but this is obviously not the case but at least OLC are donating money for each ticket told.  Apparantly, the financial losses for each day the parks are closed are colossal!
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

dagobert

From the official OLC press release:

Tokyo Disney Resort® announced today that it will reopen Tokyo DisneySea® Park on April 28, 2011 after a hiatus since March 12 following the Great East Japan Earthquake. Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta®, which is located inside the Park, will also resume operations on the same day on April 28, 2011.

In addition, Tokyo Disneyland® will resume operating into the nighttime hours starting April 23, 2011. Please see below for further information.

http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/bl ... 20_03e.pdf

Josh

That's good to know.

It was interesting to read this article on their methods of power saving:
http://www.olc.co.jp/wpmu/wp-content/bl ... 19_03e.pdf
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]