"AIDA - The Musical"

Started by experiment627, May 02, 2004, 10:08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

experiment627

Hello folks,

just got back from Essen (Germany) where I watched Disney's "AIDA" - and what can I say? I'm absolutely *enthusiastic* about that show: great songs (by Elton John - who wouldn't love that?), cool sets and costumes and a wonderful, wonderful cast.

A few minutes into the show, a huge grin took over my face and refused to leave - that's how much I enjoyed the show. I laughed and I cried (it's sooo sad, yet sooooo beautiful). I highly recommend watching "AIDA" ... I'm still full of glee just thinking about it. I'd really love to see it again (no matter the 3 hours drive to the theatre in Essen...).

Short: I loved it. Want to see it again.

PS for Baloo: I got one of the two "AIDA" pins...  :wink:

Anthony

Quote from: "experiment627"PS for Baloo: I got one of the two "AIDA" pins...  :wink:

Oooo, nice!  :wink:

I've never really heard much about AIDA or looked into it so i don't know a lot about it, but if you love it that much then it really must be something special!  Maybe i'll look into it more if it ever comes to the UK... (which i doubt with The Lion King still going strong and Mary Poppins coming in December)  :?

experiment627

Strange that it's not running at the West End...

I enjoyed the show very, very much and I'd love to go back at once to see it again.

However, "Aida" is now closing on Broadway - and reportedly, it's also not running too well in Essen... which is a pity. I think people are just not as aware of it as they should be. ...

Anthony

Quote from: "experiment627"However, "Aida" is now closing on Broadway - and reportedly, it's also not running too well in Essen... which is a pity. I think people are just not as aware of it as they should be. ...

Yeah, i think Disney haven't exactly marketed it very well.  Everyone knows about "The Lion King on Broadway" but not many people know about AIDA.  They could just be turning AIDA into a tour like Beauty and the Beast, but it will still be in TLK's shadow as it is now.

Luckily Disney seem to be doing a good job advertising Mary Poppins in the UK already, and the very well-known name will also certainly help it compared to AIDA.

experiment627

I think that's AIDA's major problem: it's just not that "spectacular"... oh sigh... too many people just don't know about it...

But I'm VERY excited about "Mary Poppins" - I'm actually toying with the idea to fly to London next year just to see that show...