Captain EO returns to Discoveryland - now closed

Started by The Butlin Boy, April 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Quote from: "Martyn"^ Thankfully is only here until June.

Are you sure that Captain EO will be there only until June? I can't imagine that DLRP will close it with no replacement and since Disney will not invest heavily into new attraction I think Captain EO will stay longer.

Martyn

^ I could have sworn it was reported to only be returning for one year only? And what makes you think they will not invest in a new attraction?

dagobert

Quote from: "Martyn"^ I could have sworn it was reported to only be returning for one year only? And what makes you think they will not invest in a new attraction?

You could be right that it was mentioned somewhere, but that doesn't mean that the run will not be extended. I really hope that Disney will invest in new attractions, especially in the Disneyland Park, but I think the focus on new attractions will be in WDS. Hopefully they will not replace it with another Pixar based attraction like Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. We didn't like it at WDW.

15MagicalYears

I agree, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor would be a waste of time and money, I didn't enjoy it either.
I really don't have a clue what could be put in here, but I'm hoping it doesn't lay empty for months.

Martyn

Discoveryland is an odd one for me. It has by far the most attractions (forget Fantasyland) - Space Mountain, Buzz, Autopia, Star Tours, Captain EO and Orbitron. Yet that back end of Discoveryland is just missing something - even though there's twice as many attractions than Adventureland & Frontierland.

15MagicalYears

I agree, but I think it's down to the ammount of of vegitation in Adventureland and the Rivers of the Far West in Frontierland that take away from the emptiness that you feel in Discoveryland.

Martyn

^ Thats a good point. You are properly transformed into them worlds over there, but Discoverland just feels a bit flat, so I guess thats why they have a lot more attractions in there.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Martyn"Now I dont know if this is because I never saw this originally, but I thought Captain EO was crap.

Haha! I did see this back in the early '90s, but I only had a vague recollection of it when I saw it again yesterday. It didn't quite prepare me for the experience, but then what could have?

So Michael Jackson, baby voice and all, is on a mission in outer space along with a Muppet, Alf and the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, but they've landed on a planet for which they don't own a map. This causes them to get surrounded by the enemy, something I'm sure they would have managed to avoid had they had a map that said "WATCH OUT FOR THE HIDDEN MOB, YOU IDIOTS." Then Academy Award-winning actress Anjelica Huston appears as a Space Baddy who threatens to send them to Space Hell, but thankfully Michael Jackson is able to convince her of her inner beauty with the powers of dance and an electric keyboard manned just in time by Alf. Then Anjelica Huston turns into Aphrodite and Space turns into the Mediterranean. The End.

What the devil did I just see?!

Riebi

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "Martyn"Now I dont know if this is because I never saw this originally, but I thought Captain EO was crap.

Haha! I did see this back in the early '90s, but I only had a vague recollection of it when I saw it again yesterday. It didn't quite prepare me for the experience, but then what could have?

So Michael Jackson, baby voice and all, is on a mission in outer space along with a Muppet, Alf and the Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz, but they've landed on a planet for which they don't own a map. This causes them to get surrounded by the enemy, something I'm sure they would have managed to avoid had they had a map that said "WATCH OUT FOR THE HIDDEN MOB, YOU IDIOTS." Then Academy Award-winning actress Anjelica Huston appears as a Space Baddy who threatens to send them to Space Hell, but thankfully Michael Jackson is able to convince her of her inner beauty with the powers of dance and an electric keyboard manned just in time by Alf. Then Anjelica Huston turns into Aphrodite and Space turns into the Mediterranean. The End.

What the devil did I just see?!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Best abstract ever!

:thumbs:
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

traveller

We saw CEO during our visit in January and in my opinion: this is old.  And especially in DLRP we need new thinks.
Plus, the previous HISTK had more tricks.  So, I think that a brand new show here, with more tricks, would be a very good idea.   Disney has plenty of movies to choose.

Note: our teenagers liked CEO for the dancing part.
Previous Visits:
March 1990 Disneyland Anaheim (one day visit)
May 1995 Disneyland Paris (one day visit)
June 2007 Hotel Cheyenne
August 2008 Sequoia Lodge
December 2009 Hotel New York
December 2010 Newport Bay Club

davewasbaloo

Maybe it is a nostalgia thing because I was at the grand opening of Captain Eo with Micheal Jackson, George Lucas et al in 1986 in California, and then again saw it in Paris on April 12, 1992. But I love it. I didn't know if I still would, but I stopped bothering with HISTA around 2002 or so, but enjoyed watching Capt eo maybe 5 or 6 times last year.

Yes, I would love something new, but i have little faith in modern Disney. The music and the dancing make Capt Eo much more enjoyable than the naff HISTA.
since 2001 (many before that)

iceburnmarko

We just came back from Disneyland Paris and saw this attraction (wife brought a pin for it) but we decided not to go in, cause we are going back at end of August / beginning of September for her baby brother birthday who is 10.  He is a big michael Jackson fan, but I saw in this post that it suppose to be replace in June? Is that true? :-(...

Martyn

When it was first announced, I think it was said to only be here for one year, so you may be right in June being the last month.

Anthony

No, they never gave a closing date. They might have said "limited time" but it's really there indefinitely. I'm sure it'll see through 2011 at least, so you will be ok.

iceburnmarko

Thats good to hear :-)  Wasnt that the place where honey I shunk the audience, or was that at WDS?