Captain EO returns to Discoveryland - now closed

Started by The Butlin Boy, April 10, 2010, 01:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

So, how much does the white Captain EO mug cost (with the purple triangle logo on it)? Anybody been to the park recently and know how much the merchandise costs?

davewasbaloo

It was €6 if I recall. I nearly bought it last trip, but we had to rush off for Fanti and I never got the chance to go back :(
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

A slightly late reply, but are those plywood signs all we're going to get on the outside? At first I thought it was a temporary thing as the attraction revival appears to have been a last-minute decision, but I noticed it's still not any different. This would have been nice at least:

I mean, let's face it, this show will be here for a while...

Soap

Wow, that's a great sign! A real tribute  :thumbs:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CafeFantasia

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It was €6 if I recall. I nearly bought it last trip, but we had to rush off for Fanti and I never got the chance to go back :(

€6? That's not a bad price. I was expecting them to cost €15-20, you know, something really ridiculous for a mug :-)

Dlrpfan

I saw the show at Disneyland Resort and..wow.. what can i say? amazing!. Kinda going back on what alan said about merchendise though, prices for things seemed a little..well pricey to me, and there seemed to be less of it about. If disney could have released more 'simple things' with just the logo on at a cheaper price i think they could have made a fortune. Also agreeing with the sign in that its going to be around for a while, and i think i read somewhere that the 'limited run' has been extended beyond its original run date in the US parks? could be confused or imagining that though.
Dan
Remember Dreams Come True! \":mickey2:\"

[size=100]\'We Keep Moving Forward\' [/i][/size] - Walt Disney

Disneyland Resort - 2007 2010
Walt Disney World - 2001 2003 2005 2006 2008 2009 2011 2012/2013
Disneyland Paris - 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2004 2005 2007
Disney Cruise Line - Disney Wonder: 2008 2009 Disney Dream: 2011 Disney Fantasy: 2012

sebassah

Loved to see it in Paris again... but that shameless Kodak commercial... it needs to go. Just saying.

CafeFantasia

I saw Captain EO again in Paris last week, and overall I thought it was great.

I really liked:

- The sound system.
- The interactive lighting effects in the theatre, like the rainbow wipe that went through the audience when EO revealed his t-shirt
- The wind at the end when EO's ship took off

What I didn't like was the bouncing floor. I think it was quite effective during the scene where EO's ship crash lands on the planet, but bouncing along to the music was really distracting. It was like riding a big donkey, with no rhythm, while watching Captain EO.

sophie-th

I also saw Captain EO during the weekend.... I really liked it as it was something different.
Concerning the effects everything that Alan mentions above was nice, especially the rainbow effect and the gush of air at the end... but we didn't get the bouncing floor :( Maybe it wasn't working that day...
[size=150]"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy!"[/size]

CafeFantasia

You're lucky the floor wasn't bouncing. That's the one effect they added that detracted from the show, I think. Everything else was great. The lighting effects in the theatre were far more elaborate and colourful than in the original Captain EO. I liked how Commander Bog cast a faint purple glow on the audience. Subtle things like that blurred the line between the film and the theatre.

Speaking of things not working, while I was at the park that day (25 November 2010), there wasn't any music on Space Mountain, and the lights on the exterior of the mountain were faulty. Everything else though was in pretty good shape though. A lot of the rides, such as Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, Phantom Manor and Pirates of the Caribbean, didn't have queues in the middle of the day! So while it was pretty damn cold, you could do whatever you wanted. No need for FASTPASS.

DisneyBoyke27

on my last trip 15-17 december, i went 3 times and never had a bouncing floor, is it broken? or have they removed that effect?

carrydee38

no we had the bouncing floor in November when we went.  I really enjoyed this it was so different from when i saw this in 98...if i remeber we stood up watching it...did not have the special effects that this one had....sad to see poor ole michael though .....but great to see this classic piece of michael jackson

ben mcqueen

so is this here permanently then in the place of Honey I Shrunk The Audience?

captain rocket

I was there on 11th December and the floor was definitely bouncing that day!
I think Captain EO looks dated, but is infinitley better than HISTA was come the end, The 3d effects in EO is better than I remember.

Kobato

Quote from: "ben mcqueen"so is this here permanently then in the place of Honey I Shrunk The Audience?

I think that it was placed again because they needed something "new" to put on HISTA's place while they thought of a new ride, and also as a tribute to Michael Jackson.