Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village (Now Open!)

Started by MagicKenny, December 11, 2009, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Disney just has to look at Group Flo which operates most of the DV restaurants. There the quality is also better. Hopefully it will change in the future again.

Anthony

There are a few interesting dishes on the menu at Fuente del Oro and Hakuna Matata which might disprove this, but from typing up a good load of menus the other week it became very clear that DLP just doesn't think much of fast food, counter service. There's very little imagination, interest or variety, especially compared to the tempting table service menus. The prices are high and the experience is low.

I don't know if this is something in French culture (that fast food can't be good food) or if it's some kind of business decision at the park to churn out the fast food keeping queues low while prices and revenues are high. Do they hope people will pay more for the buffets and table service instead? I mean, if all the counter service places offered great dishes it'd be a lot harder tempting people to give up their precious time in the park for the €23+ buffets, right?

But then again, no! They wouldn't purposely make an experience "bad". Maybe it's simply hard for a park in their financial situation to invest in good variety and quality for fast food. Maybe they really need the big profit margins here. Or maybe there really is just some fast food snobbishness in Paris - it's "fast" food, so why does it need to be good? Although you'd think there'd be enough Americans in the company to say "actually... it can be good - and your revenues and guest satisfaction can increase because of it."

So yeah, I really hope Earl proves something with the variety, quality and pricing.

Martyn

I just cant see it being somewhere to compete with the Rainforest Cafe and Annette's etc. McDonalds is probably the only restaurant that is worrying about the Earl.

Dont worry, I'm not knocking it in anyway at all, after all, I'm certainly going to be trying it. But for us, it will only be a place to have lunch *if* we can be bothered to walk back to the Village.

johnd331

QuoteThere are a few interesting dishes on the menu at Fuente del Oro and Hakuna Matata which might disprove this, but from typing up a good load of menus the other week it became very clear that DLP just doesn't think much of fast food, counter service.

I've seen it; great work. Must be rather boring and tedious work. Now let's keep it up to date ;). The stuff at dlpfoodguide.com has been outdated for years. At least most restaurants offer some recent reviews.

Regarding Fuente del Oro; This is such a missed chance for some decent TexMex fast food. But yet again, compared to the buffet at La Grange, the food is rather bland here.

QuoteDo they hope people will pay more for the buffets and table service instead? I mean, if all the counter service places offered great dishes it'd be a lot harder tempting people to give up their precious time in the park for the €23+ buffets, right?

You know, I would really like at least a single restaurant that offers a pay-as-you-go buffet. Not a EUR 23+ buffet. The kind of buffet where you can get a baguette, bagel, muffin, etc. and pay for what you actually are using. Now, for a quick snack, you're essentially locked into low quality fast food if you stay inside the parks. After a few days, you're quite fed up with low quality burgers, hot dogs and pizza. Still, I don't feel any urge to pay EUR 23 excluding drinks just for a quick bite..

QuoteI don't know if this is something in French culture (that fast food can't be good food) or if it's some kind of business decision at the park to churn out the fast food keeping queues low while prices and revenues are high.
I guess you've been at the Cafe Hyperion during lunch? This place is huge and the capacity is enormous. Even although their operation is far from smooth (with such a limited menu, it should be doable to have all items available I guess), the lines there are long and the place is always crowded, even without any decent show going on at the moment.
B.T.W.: Did they return the burger-customization-buffet carts they introduced in 2008? Last time I went there, they were nowhere to be seen. Not that they really improved the quality of the burger, but they at least added something special.

QuoteBut then again, no! They wouldn't purposely make an experience "bad". Maybe it's simply hard for a park in their financial situation to invest in good variety and quality for fast food. Maybe they really need the big profit margins here. Or maybe there really is just some fast food snobbishness in Paris - it's "fast" food, so why does it need to be good? Although you'd think there'd be enough Americans in the company to say "actually... it can be good - and your revenues and guest satisfaction can increase because of it."

I doubt it is on purpose. It is either "don't care" or "don't know". And I agree, revenues and guest satisfaction can be greatly increased. And guest satisfaction should be their number one concern. With the amount of visitors needed to keep this operation in the profit region, you absolutely need your customers returning to you. And let's be honest, we're already raving around here, because a new "baguetterie" is opening soon. There is a serious market for decently priced food of decent quality and originality.

QuoteDisney just has to look at Group Flo which operates most of the DV restaurants. There the quality is also better. Hopefully it will change in the future again.

It is like they realized they couldn't get away with the mediocre quality of their other operations ;). Then again, the quality of most table restaurants in the parks was quite good until around 2008.

PS: You know the best place in the parks to get a decent burger? Cafe des Cascadeurs! Only order a burger here, as it will be freshly made in front of your eyes, there is nothing to complain about here. Don't order a hot dog, it's the same reheated junk you get anywhere else. Also, you're eating inside a real piece of history, just look around, the backstory is explained to you. One of the crown jewels of the Studios Parks if you ask me ;).

Festival Disney

Time for those all important Construction updates  :D

Source
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

penfold12

Wow, I didn't realise the building was going to be that tall.......

Martyn

Thanks for the update.

Would be good if the Rainforest Cafe covered up all that white with their stone wall themeing.

Riebi

Thats a must for me! It´s not really a beautiful view like this. Rainforest cafe should do a bit more.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Martyn

^ YES THEY SHOULD!lol

The WDW Rainforest Cafe looks amazing, this just looks average. Same with the sidewall of Planet Hollywood too. If all these places pulled their fingers out the Village could be a real magical place.

paterdave2

Have you ever seen it in london or another city.
They all look just plain than.
In WDW it looks great because it is part of the park Animal kingdom.
If you look at the one in Anaheim it is more like ours in Paris.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

penfold12

http://www.allabouttours.com/activities ... 20CAFE.jpg. The rainforest cafe in Anahiem is the most themed in my opinion, two storey jungle temple theme. Makes Paris facade look cheap.

Anthony

The Anaheim design would be good for Paris. The problem will be that Hurricanes takes up the top floor. I wonder if Rainforest Cafe would ever be able to justify taking on that extra space? Maybe they could even put a T-Rex cafe up there and give the whole block a vaguely jungle theme.

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"The Anaheim design would be good for Paris. The problem will be that Hurricanes takes up the top floor. I wonder if Rainforest Cafe would ever be able to justify taking on that extra space? Maybe they could even put a T-Rex cafe up there and give the whole block a vaguely jungle theme.

Are there already plans for the former Hurricanes? I can imagine that Group Flo will take the space and will open a new restaurant. A T-Rex would be a good choice, since it is very popular at WDW and it belongs to the same company like the Rainforest Cafe. Makes it easier to the a franchise licence, since Group Flo alreafy operates the Rainforest Cafe.

Like paterdave2 already said, the Rainforest Cafes just look great at Disney Parks. We have been to the one in Chicago and there the restaurant wasn't themed on the outside. The inside looked like the one in Paris.

The Anaheim Rainforest Cafe is definately the best themed cafe on Disney properties.

Festival Disney

Construction Update  :mrgreen:

Source: Disney Gazette
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day