Toy Story & Toy Story 2: in 3D/on Blu-ray

Started by Anthony, January 25, 2008, 08:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Disney announced yesterday that, ready for the release of Toy Story 3, both Toy Story and Toy Story 2 will be released in October 2009 and February 2010 respectively... in Disney Digital 3-D! Toy Story 3 will also be in 3D from June 2010.

QuoteTOY STORY TRIO GOES 3-D

Burbank, CA – January 24, 2008 - The Walt Disney Studios is taking the latest advances in digital 3-D technology "to infinity and beyond" with ambitious plans to debut new Disney Digital 3-D™ versions of Disney- Pixar's "Toy Story" on October 2nd, 2009, and "Toy Story 2" on February 12th, 2010, it was announced by Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios. Both of these beloved animated features are being newly converted to 3-D in advance of the June 18th, 2010 release of Disney-Pixar's "Toy Story 3," which is being produced as a 3-D motion picture and will represent the state-of-the-art for the genre. Veteran Pixar filmmaker Lee Unkrich (co-director "Toy Story 2") is directing.

Academy Award®-winning filmmaker John Lasseter (director of the first two "Toy Story" films and chief creative officer for Disney and Pixar Animation Studios) will personally oversee the creative side of the 3-D conversions for "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" with his acclaimed team of technical wizards handling all the necessary steps in the conversion process.

Commenting on the announcement, Cook said, "'We are committed to bringing moviegoers the best and most exciting 3-D movie experience, and we think they're going to love seeing Buzz Lightyear, Woody, and all the wonderful 'Toy Story' cast of characters in an eye popping and dazzling way. John Lasseter and the animation team are putting all their passion and hard work into making this the greatest 3-D experience yet, and we're excited to share their efforts with audiences everywhere."

Lasseter added, "The 'Toy Story' films and characters will always hold a very special place in our hearts and we're so excited to be bringing this landmark film back for audiences to enjoy in a whole new way thanks to the latest in 3-D technology. I am sure that this is going to be nothing short of fantastic and people are going to be blown away by the experience. With 'Toy Story 3' shaping up to be another great adventure for Buzz, Woody and the gang from Andy's room, we thought it would be great to let audiences experience the first two films all over again and in a brand new way. 3-D offers lots of great new possibilities for the art of animation and we will continue to use this new technology to tell our stories in the best possible way."

In converting "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" to state-of-the-art 3-D films, the technical team is retrieving all of the original digital elements and rebuilding them in 3-D.

Originally released by Walt Disney Pictures in 1995, "Toy Story" was the first feature film from Pixar Animation Studios and director John Lasseter. The film went on to receive Oscar® nominations for Original Score, Original Song, and Screenplay, and earned Lasseter a Special Achievement Award "for the development and inspired application of techniques that have made possible the first feature-length computer-animated film." "Toy Story 2" was released in 1999, and reunited voice talents Tom Hanks and Tim Allen, in their roles as Woody and Buzz. The film became one of the most popular animated features of all time, and received an Academy Award® nomination for Original Song.
Shockingly exciting for a Toy Story fan.  :o :shock:

RnRCj

I love this idea of turning Toy Story 1 and 2 into 3d.

I can imagine watching the scene where they're all crossing the street in Toy Story 2 - That would probably be really good in 3d.

The Butlin Boy

That sounds great :) . Do you think that they'll play them at all cinemas or just certain one like IMAX?

Anthony

It'll be ones with digital projection technology, not IMAX.

I know for sure that's Odeon Manchester, Odeon Bath, Vue Cheshire Oaks and the West End ones. Here's a list: http://www.dlp.com/cinema/search_result ... ountry=226 but they might not necessarily be shown at them all.

The opening of Toy Story 2 with the Buzz Lightyear computer game should be good, and the airport near the end... heck, all of it!! The first film might be a bit weird though, I watched it recently and some parts (downstairs at Andy's house, the street outside, the humans) are starting to look blocky. :?

peep

I think it will be great. Disney 3D works so well (seen three films using their technology so far and they all looked amazing) and it will be great to see the first two films in this format. It will be interesting to see what the third film is like too.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Owain

:( My Favourite disney films, and no showings in cardiff or the whole of wales.

-breeno-

Had a quick look at the list of places showing it and from what i see not one in N. Ireland :(   I'll have to wait until DVD (if it comes out on DVD.  Oh and that reminds me :offtopic: will/has the Nightmare before Christmas been released on DVD in 3-D?
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

Quote from: "-breeno-"Had a quick look at the list of places showing it and from what i see not one in N. Ireland :(  
Though as I said, that's a list of cinemas with digital screens, not places that'll definitely show them. By 2009 and 2010 the list will probably be much bigger anyway. :)

peep

Quote from: "-breeno-"Had a quick look at the list of places showing it and from what i see not one in N. Ireland :(   I'll have to wait until DVD (if it comes out on DVD.  Oh and that reminds me :offtopic: will/has the Nightmare before Christmas been released on DVD in 3-D?

The technology for a 3D DVD isn't really possible yet as TVs can't support the technology (well some can, but you can only get them in Japan, typical). This is because to get a 3D image they show two films at the same time at different angles so when you put on special glasses the two films merge to make one 3D film.

They reckon that home releases will be over here in like 5/6 years or something as the technology still needs to be fiddled with.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

disney_donutter

Wow that is so exciting, I bet that will be great!!! :-)

Roll on Toy Story 3D!! lol

Nala_84

Oh my God..... maybe this question will be embarrassing and naive, please be gentle with me :mrgreen: :

What's new with Toy Story in 3D?? Didn't it always be in 3D? As a cgi movie?
[size=85]1992 - Disneyland Paris - 1-day-trip
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe
2004 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Cheyenne
2005 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Santa Fe
2007 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Newport BayClub
2008 - Disneyland Resort Paris - Sequoia Lodge
2009 - Walt Disney World
[/size]

Anthony

Well... yes. But in the past we've only seen it on a 2D screen, as a flat image.

Now Pixar are going through and converting all that CGI animation to output in Disney Digital 3D, so it's like you're sat inside the computer alongside Woody and Buzz. The Chicken Little director said "It feels like the screen becomes a window instead of a wall, and you're looking behind it into this universe that really exists."

It's quite interesting how it works: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Digital_3-D The film is actually projected at 144 frames per second!  It's the kind of thing they could (but probably never will) mention in Art of Disney Animation as a modern progression of the zoetropes they let kids make.

Captain Pan

This Deserves its OWN topic... Although If there is already a Toy Story/Toy Story 2 3D topic please feel free to pop this info in its original place... and feel free to pop a title change too!

With some Twittering, and some of my work on the other forum I found this Wonderful Poster...

OK... Details on wether the double feature is leaving US Shores is yet to be released... Although October 2nd and the "2 WEEK ONLY" Window would allow for the movie to leave the Cinema as UP entered the UK.

I'll keep you poted

The Butlin Boy

I absolutely love that promo poster for it. I'll admit that I didn't think that re-releasing the films in 3D would be that successful (people would probably see it as a way to get more money), but the way they have advertised it here, and made it sound like an event, is really effective. I do hope it doesn't just stay in the US :)

Captain Pan

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"I absolutely love that promo poster for it. I'll admit that I didn't think that re-releasing the films in 3D would be that successful (people would probably see it as a way to get more money), but the way they have advertised it here, and made it sound like an event, is really effective. I do hope it doesn't just stay in the US :)

I am aware they have advertised it over here... But from what I've been reading around in the interweb world... Pixar Fans World Wide aren't too sure... and after the RIP OFF of Waiting near enough 6 months for UP... International Fans are skeptical!

As you can already See... I've gone TS TS2 3D Nuts Already!  8)