Disneyland Paris 3rd Theme Park...

Started by lil-shawn, January 24, 2011, 10:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

Quote from: "lil-shawn"The idea of a marvel park is a bad Idea, first the ownership of marvel is to young to get identified with disney and second, it fits more to the theme of the Disney Studios as an extra big Land.

just my 2 cents on it.

Couldn't agree more. I have jost posted in the Shanghai DL thread that I don't mind to see Marvel based rides in a Studios park, but I'm not sure about a whole Marvel Park. For me Marvel has nothing to do with Disney. The same could be said about Pixar, but Pixar is more family oriented and Pixar's movies have always been associated with Disney, even when Pixar didn't belong to TWDC. At the beginning of the movie was always and will always be the Walt Disney Pictures logo.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"...but Pixar is more family oriented and Pixar's movies have always been associated with Disney, even when Pixar didn't belong to TWDC. At the beginning of the movie was always and will always be the Walt Disney Pictures logo.

I disagree. I have been a Marvel fan since I was about 3, my son and daughter also love MArvel. In fact my son (aged 7) has watched Ironman far more times than Toy Story 3. So I think this shows you prefer Pixar perhaps.

question, how do you feel about Star Tours or Indiana Jones in the parks?

For me, if they feel compelled to use film synergy, I would rather have Marvel than most of the crap Disney have put out over the last 10 years in the parks. But I would like non synergistic originality most of all.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "dagobert"...but Pixar is more family oriented and Pixar's movies have always been associated with Disney, even when Pixar didn't belong to TWDC. At the beginning of the movie was always and will always be the Walt Disney Pictures logo.

I disagree. I have been a Marvel fan since I was about 3, my son and daughter also love MArvel. In fact my son (aged 7) has watched Ironman far more times than Toy Story 3. So I think this shows you prefer Pixar perhaps.

question, how do you feel about Star Tours or Indiana Jones in the parks?

For me, if they feel compelled to use film synergy, I would rather have Marvel than most of the crap Disney have put out over the last 10 years in the parks. But I would like non synergistic originality most of all.

Dave, you are totally right about Star Wars and Indy. I didn't think about that. You are also right that I prefere Pixar over Marvel. I can't speak for lil-shawn, but I have never been a fan of superheroe comics. I'm not sure about that, but I think in Germany and Austria these comics have never been very popular, so maybe that's a reason why I don't like them. And since France is very proud of their comic culture, I can imagine that the French wouldn't be that happy with a Marvel park.

Maybe I shouldn't think too much about the comics, because I like the last Batman movies, although they are DC Comics, and the first Iron Man wasn't bad either. But I would never buy such a comic book and if I have to chose between a Disney or Pixar movie, I would always chose the last ones, maybe except for Christopher Nolan's Batman.

And I totally agree with you that original ideas are still the best ideas. Unfortunately it seems that these wonderful days are over. At least as long as Mr. synergy and franchise Iger is CEO of Disney.

davewasbaloo

And this is why I talk about European audiences in many of my posts. I get slammed by the mods and others, but they are real issues. Just like Disneyland has a very different audience to Walt Disney World, and Duffy is a huge icon in tokyo, for me, part of the facination is how different audiences perceive the Disney experience. And Europe has the greatest diversity of all.

For my family ,we have 5 generations of park going. I am from California, and my Great Grand mother, and my grandmother took my mom and aunts and uncles to the parks. They took me to the parks, and I take my children. This is why so many of the posters on this and other Disney boards have a very different perception to mine. I grew up learning about the Disney difference, strong theme story telling, and live entertainment being the key parts of a Disney experience. Heck, my uncle used to take dates to Disneyland just to go dancing to live bands (kind of like how the Danish think of Tivoli). The cartoon characters were a very small part of the experience, and to be honest, it was not really until Splash Mountain in 1989 and Toon town in 1991/2 hit Disneyland, that California did much with toons outside of Fantasyland. to our family, it was an amazing themed place full of energy and learning opportunities, live music, for the whole family. Yes, we would watch the cartoons or films, but to be honest, they were never the driver (I prefer Loony Toons to Mickey Mouse any day)

Look at Europe. To most, the idea of Disney are the toons, and the meet and greets. And theme parks, the thrills are more important (look how much people seem to flock to the coasters and toon based attractions compared to PotC and PM, or how people actually moan about the amazing Nautilus). The Duckberg comics really are largely unknown in the US or UK, but are hugely popular in Europe. And the Spanish view of Disney is different to the Austrian or Finnish or English it seems. Some of that creates the unique magic of DLP (attention to detail, use of music, people who speak different languages trying to communicate, good wine lists in the park) and some of it the annoyances (littering, graffitti, people on the grass, pushing at characters).

The reality is, Disney needs to look at what drives the local markets, but also to get the balance right in remembering their roots, I think Disney at WDW and DLP in particular have pretty much forgotten their roots, and then the advertising pushing toons and thrills, has grown a new generation of Disney fans that want more of the antithesis of what DL started being.

Coming back on point, the adventurous nature of Marvel has more in common with Disney's work on 20k Under the Sea, Treasure Island, Swiss Family Robinson, Davy  crockett, Zorro and other adventures that inspired the themes of the park, than Toy Story Playland, Rupunzel and Tiana meet and greets, and Toon Studios. Hence the reason why I wouldn't mind Marvel coming in if it has to be synergy,

To me, Disneyland was always about impecible themed environments that made you feel like you were somewhere else, full of live music, attractions that the whole family could enjoy that were adventurous - Jungle Cruise, PotC, HM, river boats, trains, voyages under the sea, in space, or into atoms. The toons were always a very small part, now they are the main.

This is why I am FAR more excited to go to Europa Park and Phantasialand next month. Sure, we will have fun at DLP, but it is becoming more and more of an amusement park to me, and frankly that is depressing to me. After 36 years of Disney dedication.

dagobert

Don't get me started on Tivoli. What a wonderful small park. I enjoyed every minute there, not because of the rides, but because of the atmosphere. Although the weather was bad, there were still two or three bands playing and people were dancing. This is a park for adults without kids and families as well while Disneyland Paris doesn't care about adults at all anymore. Many people went to Tivoli just to enjoy the music or a fancy dinner at a wonderful restaurant. Nobody would do that at DLRP. In terms of adult entertainment Tivoli is so much better than DLP.

The Duckburgh comics are very popular over here. Each week, each month new comics are released and the Mickey Mouse Magazine is still selling very successful. Since the 50ies the magazine is published each week and it still is more popular with kids than superheroes. You will hardly find these comics over here. They are available but for a higher price and they are more like collectibles. I'm not sure about France, but last year when we have been to Denmark and Sweden, it seemed that the Duck comics are also very popular there. Since the company that published the disney comics in Austria and Germany is a Danish company, I can imagine that the comics are popular in the North. That's why I'm still against a Marvel park. I get what you mean with Marvel being more like Disney with Treasure Island and that stuff, but for me it still feels not like Disney. I have always liked Star Wars and Indy, but never superheroes, so that seems really be the reason why I don't want to see a park based on Marvel.

I grew up with Disney comics and I really miss something related to Duckburgh at DLRP. The Studios would be a great place to build an attraction related to the DuckTales, which are more or less based on Carl Barks' Comics. I'm sure most German and Austrian visitors miss Duckburgh.

I have to admit that I enjoy meeting the characters and get a picture with them, but I don't want to see them in each new attraction. It is so sad that Disney's best attractions ever, PM and POTC, are so neglected by so many visitors while TSPL has waiting times beyond an hour. TSPL can be done by each company, but POTC or PM can only be done by Disney, maybe not today anymore. In my opinion Disney of today is a shadow of its former glory.

I also have to admit that when I have been to DLRP for the first time in 2000 with my parents, I was only interested in thrill rides and I didn't care so much about the theming. Friends who go to DLP since 1992 changed my view on Disney parks. They told me about the wonderful merchandise, about the details only Disney could create and about the fantastic food and wine experiences. Wine is very important to many Austrians, especially when having a fancy dinner. That's why our friends were a bit disappointed by the MK at WDW, because even the table service restaurants don't serve wine.

You are going to Phantasialand, but doesn't that park rely heavily on thrill rides and most of the attractions aren't themed that well, or am I wrong on that? I have never been there, but our friends like Europa Park a lot and they say you will enjoy the park. I can't wait to read your trip report

davewasbaloo

Phantasialand used to have many dark rides and the sort, and I undertand they still do, just not quite as many as they did. Certainly when I went in the 80's, there were very few thrill rides.

lil-shawn

I do like the Marvel, i did read the comics when i was younger and i watch also the movies, but still am against a whole
park dedicatet for them, it will be to much marvel. a break in thmene would not hurt, thats why i think it is better to lokate
a big marvel land into the studios.
the same goes for Pixar, like the movies and they fit good into the studios but not in a magic kingdom style park. for me pixar attractions don´t belong there. in my mind is Disneyland for the Disney classics and unique new rides.

Now going ahead, here are the Lands of the new Park.
Still missing one big land to finish the whole layout and the park plan.
May you guy´s come up with a good idea... To make it more of a Challange the Land missing
should be like the 3rd Land on the List i present you today..
And now i present you the List of the Lands clockwise.

QuotePort Discovery or Discovery Harbour: This is the hub of Explorers, Adventurers, and the Starting steampunk Stories of Jules Verne, H.G.Wells and the early 20th century pulp magazines. Everything from Zeppelines, to the Traveling boats attacked by dinosaurs - all centered around a backstory based on the ficktional adventurer Jason Chandler. This land is the entrance to the park and also the parks Main Street.

Mystic Forest: The founders of the S.E.A. (Society of Explorers and Adventurers) created this Forest, full of Mythical Creatures, Stories and Treasures. Filled with suprises and a Mansion as Mythical as the Forest itself. This Land is the Second you will see after entering the Park.

Lost Worlds: Come and visit the great Civilisations of the Lost World. Atlantis is back in the Sunlight, the Egypts restored they´re Temples and Pyramides to its full glory, for the Return of the Gods. Out of the Jungle will the Atzteks rise again. The Third Land in the Park and also one of the Biggest. Lost Worlds has 3 little Lands in itself.

Pride Island: A Island based on the Greatest Disney Movie THE LION KING. Step into the Pride Land and explore Simbas World. But watch out the Shadowland isn´t far away, scar awaits you to visit his place. The pride Land is designed as an Island in the Park to break the mainland layout. The fourth land you can see in the Park. Here you can walk down to another island or back to the mainland.

Villains Island: Are you ready for Disney´s Villains? Step in to they´re own Island. Full of Fear and thrills, the Disney Villains show they´re best side and try to frighten you. No hero to save you and no good soulds around, this Island is the Darkest place in the Park. The Fifth land in the park, from Pride Island you can got through Scars Cave and step into the Villains Island. Also you can go from Port Discovery/ Discovery Harbor through a tunnel at the big Vulcano.

Mountain Range Nationalpark: A land that show you the great and beautiful nature of the world. surroundet by Mountains, waterfalls, rivers, geysers. everything that WOW guests. This Land is on the right side of the Entrance, if you walk against the clock.

Glacier Bay: The second part of the National Park, this time its more icy and very cold. The great Indor Park of Disney. While you did see Grizzlys at the Nationalpark, here you will see ice bears, penguins and many more. Take your jacked then it will get Cold. You can enter this land from 3 sides, First through the Nationalpark, Villains Island and another land. Also the Boat will stop here that will cruise over the big lake inside the park.

And now is one land missing. what could go there? any idea is welcome.
The Map will be complete after i have the new land, also a list of the lands and they´re attractions will come soon.

peter

mouseland, all your favourite disney mice. not mickey, but the rescuers, possibly set as a swampland like the first film