French Gov cut VAT in cafe/restaurants from today

Started by Adam, July 01, 2009, 09:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Surprised that no-one has picked up on this big news, but just read that the French government has reduced the VAT rate in cafes and restaurants from 19.6% to 5.5% as of today. It is hoped this will stimulate the catering sector by getting people eating out again - the cut will result in bills going down by just under 12%!

However, the big question is: will Disney pass on the cut by reducing prices? I definately hope so and I don't think there is an excuse not too for such a big company.

Loads of articles on this, but there is stuff on BBC, Guardian, France24 and more...

The Butlin Boy

Lets hope this has a significant and positive affect on the food prices at the resort which are, lets face it, extortionate! :shock:

pussinboots

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"Lets hope this has a significant and positive affect on the food prices at the resort which are, lets face it, extortionate! :shock:

I hope so too, but the pound/euro exchange rate has more than a little to do with that, of course. In a Eurozone context, the food prices are actually not that bad...

CafeFantasia

Has anyone here been to the parks since the VAT was cut? Have all the menus in the parks been updated to reflect the new prices?

Adam

Kristof has posted this in the latest news update:

Quote from: "Kristof"Photos Magiques DLP news report: 05-06 July 2009

The VAT has dropped in France on certain food items, which results in a modest drop of certain restaurant prices as well.  All courses that benefit from the VAT drop are marked with a Mickey balloon on the menu's.  An example from Auberge de Cendrillon:

Seems like some items are getting the prices dropped, but others aren't. Seems a little odd, but better than nothing!

king_spoon_ian

QuoteSeems like some items are getting the prices dropped, but others aren't. Seems a little odd, but better than nothing!

It's pretty pathetic how few items have been dropped, really. On the Annette's diner menu, there were around about two, no more than five (I think) items on the menu that had been dropped. The VAST majority (over three quarters, it looked like), remained at full VAT, with Disney pocketing an extra 14.1%.

:D/  :|

Waddi

Does anyone know the current prices at Cafe Mickeys, have they been reduced in line with the tax cut?

thanks