Remember...the old Entertainment Programs of Disneyland Park

Started by Riebi, May 16, 2009, 11:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Sadly I cannot find any footage on line (though some have the soundtrack). But they were as good as the ones in DL and WDW back then.

It was a great show. Then we had Tinkerbell's Fantasy in the Sky with lesser pyro and the tinker bell flying part (very cool) set to the music from Peter Pan.

At the early part of this decade, we also had a Christmas fireworks too. It was great too.

Then we had the Wishes show, which didn't work for me.

Last Year, Enchanted was introduced which was ok.

For me, my fav pyros ever are:

1. Remember...There's Magic in the Stars (DL California)
2. Illuminations, Reflections of Earth (Epcot)
3. Believe (DL Ca)
4. Fantasy in the Sky (DLP)
5. Wishes (MK)
6. Fantasy in the Sky (DL)
7. Fantasy in the Sky (MK)
8. Tinkerbell's Fantasy in the Sky (DLP)
9. DLP Christmas Fireworks (can't remember the name)
10. Enchanted (DLP)
since 2001 (many before that)

Kristof

Quote from: "Davewasbaloo"9. DLP Christmas Fireworks (can't remember the name)

Fire, Frost and Fantasies perhaps?

experiment627

Quote from: "Kristof"
Quote from: "Davewasbaloo"9. DLP Christmas Fireworks (can't remember the name)

Fire, Frost and Fantasies perhaps?

I loved that show - even though it was short. But this was back in the day when even the Tree Lighting Ceremony featured some pyro. (Am I the only one who misses the old Tree Lighting? The one that actually felt like Christmas and was still centered on Town Square...?)

It feels like the entertainment of old used to compliment the Disneyland experience... while nowadays it is taking me right out of it. ("Tous en train", anyone?)

davewasbaloo

Thanks Kristof.

and Exp627, I think you and I are totally on the same page.

I am not a huge fan of the chandelliers. Back in the day where we had the Christmas MSEP, the Arches of Winter, the Xmas tree lighting in Town Square with Pyro and the Christmas Fireworks, it was perfect, and worth braving the cold and crowds.

Now, there is little incentive for the Baloos to bother with christmas as it is so much of a shadow of it's former self.

Perhaps the more we cover the historical entertainment, the more new fans will understand and start to ask questions of DLP?

pussinboots

Quote from: "experiment627"Am I the only one who misses the old Tree Lighting? The one that actually felt like Christmas and was still centered on Town Square...?

Heck no. What an emotional experience that was, particularly because of the music and the way it was synchronized with the arches... Weepville, population: me.

experiment627

Quote from: "pussinboots"
Quote from: "experiment627"Am I the only one who misses the old Tree Lighting? The one that actually felt like Christmas and was still centered on Town Square...?

Heck no. What an emotional experience that was, particularly because of the music and the way it was synchronized with the arches... Weepville, population: me.

Well... I wept too... I have to admit. (You know the moment: the arches had just light up and then "When You Wish Upon A Star" was playing and the pyro went off behind the castle... sigh...)

Looking at the brochure, entertainment nowadays isn't entertainment anymore - it's marketing.
And I completely understand why they do that. And why they are using all those characters.

But it would be just amazing if they could manage to make it as emotional and - dare I say? - magical as the entertainment that they used to have...

davewasbaloo

Amen!  add my to the list of people that needed a hanky. Sadly, the management team were not around back then, so they do not have a clue what it used to be like. And given that WDW is even worse in many ways, and they are bringing their senior management in from Florida all the time, I am not as big an optimist as I used to be (I used to be a huge optimist and felt Disney could do no wrong - how I long for those days).

pussinboots

Oy. I was looking for the old Tree Lighting Ceremony music, knowing they use it at Epcot as well, only to find that there too...well, just listen.

(2:30 minutes in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQY2QtAP ... PL&index=7

You can barely hear the music over the characters' relentless wailing. But still, there's the music.

(For the record, there's nothing particularly wrong with today's Christmas offering; it's just that the Princess dressing and the Europop don't work quite as well for me, personally.)

Anthony

Thanks for your feedback on the last page, I've started working on that site, taking pussinboots' Flickr group as inspiration. There's some info and an email to send your stuff to here.

It's going to mainly be a gloriously geeky archive of images and scans to begin, rather than a full Yesterland.