Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"Real or Replicas???

Oops, I never got back to this... I've asked around, so they turn out to be park characters' costumes.  :roll:

Anthony

I'm now waiting for them to hang "signed" pictures of the cast. Quick print-out, grab a marker pen...

Another point entirely: with the HSM shows now gone, how much longer do we suspect the restaurant will keep its HSM "theme"? It seems like the party's over to me. Any one of Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia or Tron Legacy would be great replacements.

dagobert

Quote from: "Anthony"I'm now waiting for them to hang "signed" pictures of the cast. Quick print-out, grab a marker pen...

Another point entirely: with the HSM shows now gone, how much longer do we suspect the restaurant will keep its HSM "theme"? It seems like the party's over to me. Any one of Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia or Tron Legacy would be great replacements.

Hopefully the HSM theme will be gone soon.

I want the old Backlot restaurant back, but with a new menu. I liked the Backlot express a lot better than the Blockbuster Cafe.

HildeKitten

Quote from: "Anthony"Another point entirely: with the HSM shows now gone, how much longer do we suspect the restaurant will keep its HSM "theme"? It seems like the party's over to me. Any one of Alice in Wonderland, Prince of Persia or Tron Legacy would be great replacements.

Oh I agree with you there!
Done well any of those would be awesome!
I just hope that IF they replace the HSM theme they'll do it a lot better than they did now with the HSM stuff!

smurfy74

HSM seems to me to being phased out around the resort, all HSM merchandise had 40% off - maybe the restaurant will be next??

eeyore_fan

Quote from: "smurfy74"HSM seems to me to being phased out around the resort, all HSM merchandise had 40% off - maybe the restaurant will be next??

I thought there was a HSM 4 coming out in Summer though? Maybe they'll just take down the old posters and whack a few new ones up. *crosses fingers and hopes not*
"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn\'t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."  - Walt Disney

luke85

Quote from: "smurfy74"HSM seems to me to being phased out around the resort, all HSM merchandise had 40% off - maybe the restaurant will be next??
Let's hope so  [-o<  That space in Blockbuster Café could be re-themed as something truly immersive if the right Imagineering minds were behind it.

I'll be honest, I never went in the restaurant when it was Backlot Express, but now I'm actually sad it's gone, and that I never really gave it a chance. It certainly wasn't perfect before, but it was a lot more interesting than the HSM room it is now. I've not actually seen Blockbuster Café in the flesh so to speak, so maybe in June I might think differently.

CafeFantasia

Speaking of the Backlot Express, have you seen the original version over at Disney's Hollywood Studios? It has the same industrial design as the Paris version, yet manages to look more inviting, with its tropical palm trees:

JelleP

That looks awesome!
But we're not in the Hollywood Studios (unfortunately...)
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

bigrossco

looks so much nicer if only DLP would take notice!
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

dagobert

I liked the Backlot Express at DHS a lot. It was always very relaxing to sit between the palm trees and having a cup of coffee, soft drink or a beer.

I'm also a little bit sad that it is gone in Paris. I don't like the HSM theme and I really hope that it will be gone soon. They should put some plants into the building and then they could create a restaurant like the one at DHS.

Anthony

Ironically (is it irony?) our Backlot Express used to be an improvement on Florida's (not as big or as green, but it had more character and many more props within a smaller space). Not so anymore...

TheDuck

I do like the pirates theme but I just can't get into the HSM theme.  If they replace the HSM theme, I would like to see either a Cars or Monsters Inc. theme, I really think the outside structure fits in with Monsters Inc., they could put make the table tops out of different style doors.  Also since Cars 2 is in the works I think it would be a good place to showcase that as well.
Disney World addict since high school:  SPRING BREAK 1995!

Riebi

I think they really should rethink the whole concept. I miss the old Backlot Express Café sooo much. HSM was dated from the moment they decided to make a HSM room at the café. For POTC we have a big great wonderful themed attraction over at Disneyland Park (with a restaurant inside  :shock: ). Backlot Express was a very well themed restaurant with wonderful desssssserts and wonderful props everywhere. It had a story (and not just "like inside movie XY"), one of that thinks I miss that often at WDSp,  and was an example for me how backlot should look like. Not without theme, props and only with irony everywhere. Disney industrial style.

Get the old Backlot Express back, make a industrial themed garage with a lot of diffrent cars and props out of the Stunt-Show entrance and building and let tour de force be a real music studio maybe with a big  guitar fountain or else, MORE GREEN (Palm Trees, bushes, flowers) --> wonderful THEMED backlot with story.
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...