Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Soap

Quote from: "Kristof"I got word from a friend over at WDS that Jack Sparrow has set sail to Blockbuster Café and is now doing sets there at 12:30, 13:30 & 14:30, each time for 45 minutes.  :)

Great news, but this means he isn't located @ the POTC area??
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

TR_Wolf

Quote from: "Soap"
Quote from: "Kristof"I got word from a friend over at WDS that Jack Sparrow has set sail to Blockbuster Café and is now doing sets there at 12:30, 13:30 & 14:30, each time for 45 minutes.  :)

I'm relatively sure, like Mickey etc, there's more than one Jack around the parks.

Adam (TR Wolf) on the left, and Phil on the right \":)\"

Soap

Quote from: "TR_Wolf"
Quote from: "Soap"

I'm relatively sure, like Mickey etc, there's more than one Jack around the parks.

Let's hope so.
But face characters is a bit more challenging i think and what about the extra costs?
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Timbo

Is he doing song and dance routines from HSM ?  :wink: I think this is a sign that the makeover has not been as successful as they had hoped , if the crowds had been flocking to the new Cafe they would not have to add characters to get people in !!

Kristof

The Jack Sparrow meet 'n' greets were planned during the concept stage.  :)

Anthony

Where is he meeting people? Within the restaurant, in the POTC section? That'd be a bit weird considering how empty it normally is. But it'd be equally weird to see Jack Sparrow amongst the corrugated tin cans of Backlot outside...

The Butlin Boy

Real or Replicas??? :-k

:arrow: http://www.dlp.info/News/2009/10/disney ... al-or-not/

Kristof

I'll check my contacts, but they don't look real...  :roll:

RnRCj

That second picture of the HSM room is horrible. Who was the absolute twot who thought a couple of posters and some boring manakins would make a good themed restaurant? ](*,)

davewasbaloo

The same cretin who thought the problem with the backlot express was the decor.
since 2001 (many before that)

MagicStar

OMG - They are really one the way to get interchangeable.
Thats the niveau, every conventional holiday park  around the world would accomplish
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

HildeKitten

I met Jack Sparrow in Blockbuster Café on the 12th.  
If you go into the PotC area and turn directly to the right, it was that corner (in front of the set-up with the "treasure") he was in.
There was a character attendant pretty much right next to him making sure all went well, but I must say everyone waiting to have their picture taken was very wellbehaved (on the contrary of what sometimes happens in Adventureland).

During Winter he's mostly just available in WDS because of costuming I think.  I don't think he'd hold out in something that light in Adventureland, although he does make unannounced appearances there too when the weather isn't too bad (my friend Sam saw him out on his meet and greet spot in Adventureland the 7th of Feb).

My advice would be to go to Blockbuster about 10 minutes before the meet and greet is scedualed to start and just wait in that corner.  If he goes to stand somewhere else, you'll at least see him come in and be one of the first people to have your picture taken with him.

dagobert

Maybe Jack Sparrow will bring some people in this ugly restaurant. The PotC theme looks cheap and HSM isn't really better. Bring back the old Backlot Express restaurant.

We have been to this restaurant several times during our last visit to get some hot tea and it was always empty.

HildeKitten

It was a full house back on the 12th and that was the only time I've ever been in there.
To be honest I just popped in for a picture with Jack Sparrow and that was it.
The PotC theming seemed alright from the quick glace I threw on it, but the HSM part was sterile and just ugly.  I really didn't like that at all.

I liked the old restaurant better as well.  I wonder what happened to all the marvelous set-pieces they had all over teh place back then.

johnd331

I was there on the 4th, although the park had only moderate traffic, there were quite some people in there (although no Jack Sparrow). But Café des Cascadeurs was closed together with most of the kiosks. So, if you didn't want all-you-can-eat-buffet or a burger from the overcrowded En Coulisse Restaurant, there was nowere else to go. That's also a way to drive traffic into a restaurant.
I've been to this place once before, it was still the Backlot Express restaurant back then. I mean, it wasn't great as it was, but at the least you had something to look at. The menu, as far as I can remember, is exactly the same now as it was back then.
I'm probably repeating what most people think of it here, but hey, maybe somebody will eventually get a clue... I was quite shocked at the look of this thing... Bland, cold and utter low quality. Even the lockers are just fake red boards with cheap stickers on them. As for the pirate room, it also looks cheap and the contrast between the bright white-and-red HSM room will make your eyes hurt even more.
So, I'm trying to figure out what the deal is behind this "refurb"? They spent money on a place that was "ok" to make it look worse. They ripped the whole place out of the little context that was left for it and they did it to push some cheap marketing and branding for HSM and Pirates? Sorry, that's just an utter fail.