Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Kristof"And I agree with everyone else who has been to the restaurant personally and disliked it.  It completely misses the point (and guests).

If only this were a one off  :roll:  :evil:  :(
since 2001 (many before that)

TR_Wolf

The problem is that it was designed to look like a warehouse for all of the props and stuff, and after the re-theming, due to the size and space, it STILL looks like a warehouse, but now it doesnt look like it's MEANT to, so it just looks unpleasant.

Also, I detest High School Musical with every fibre of my being.

Adam (TR Wolf) on the left, and Phil on the right \":)\"

Anthony

Quote from: "Kristof"Some costumes were placed in the showcase in the smaller HSM themed room, but they didn't look like they were from the movies.  Probably a creation by the costuming department...  :roll:
I know DLP has less connection to "real" Disney than other resorts, but at times it feels like it's completely fake, run by people simply "playing" at being Disney. So what can we expect in the empty case in the Pirates room, a spare Jack Sparrow costume from the Disneyland Park character?

At least Pizza Planet over in Discoveryland is looking better now, eh? :wink:

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"I know DLP has less connection to "real" Disney than other resorts, but at times it feels like it's completely fake, run by people simply "playing" at being Disney.

Yeah, I know what you mean! The fact that it has a fake studio park makes this even more painfully evident.

ed-uk

I know DLP has less connection to real Disney than the other resorts. I don't agree with that myself. But obviously some people feel that DLP is less of a Disney theme park . I think DLP is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom park, everything about it says Disney. OK, WDS isn't a real film studios ( nor is DHS now ) but surely it's a theme park first and foremost with a studios theme. When Disneyland Paris was first planned in the 1980's, the second park was going to be a studios. They built what they planned to build in the first place. But on a smaller scale, for the financial reasons we all know about.
Ed & David

Anthony

Quote from: "ed-uk"But obviously some people feel that DLP is less of a Disney theme park . I think DLP is the most beautiful Magic Kingdom park, everything about it says Disney.
That's not the point - nowhere did I mention Disneyland Park, which of course I agree is - as built - ridiculously "Disney". Seriously, can you imagine if Walt saw that park?!

No, I was talking about management. Disney sure built this place, but who's running it? Who's greenlighting hasty changes like Blockbuster Cafe, when clearly not enough money/imagination was in place?

ed-uk

I took DLP to mean Disneyland Park. In any event you said you felt DLP has less connection to real Disney than other resorts, and I included the parks. I wasn't sure what you ment.  But you're talking about  management, who you feel are simply playing at being Disney, and because of this the resort feels fake to you. So DLP isn't a real Disney resort but a fake Disney resort. It doesn't feel fake to me, I must admit. If we're talking about the Blockbuster Cafe the pirate room looks promising. It might draw more people in. Is it finished ? In case people think I'm taking the management line, I don't like the front of Studio 1 under cover.
Ed & David

davewasbaloo

Anthony, it pains me to say this, but welcome to modern Disney. This sort of stuff is not unique to DLP, but feels worse because of the wonderful work they did in the resort's beginning. WDW is just as bad, but it is so big, people don't need to notice so much. Remembering most of DLP's top brass cut their teeth in Florida.

Both resorts have lost it. Now that I found out it is cheaper to got to HKDL now than DL or WDW, and the same cost for Tokyo, I am planning on heading east once Mystic Point and Grizzly open.
since 2001 (many before that)

ed-uk

I hope in the future DLP becomes as popular as WDW with 40,0000 visitors a year. Try little HKDL, you might like it better, not so modern. But you might want to aviod Toy Story Land and all those toons
Ed & David

jeakat24

I'm confused. In the POTC room are they trying to make it look as if you're aboard the Pearl, with the rigging above and the wheel etc? If so then why didn't they paint murals on the walls making look as you are on the open sea, or in Port Royal, or anything else other than black? Or painting a mural of a big storage area containing The Flying Dutchman in storage with you eating 'aboard' the Pearl.

It would have certainly brightened the place up! Sorry if someone else has already posted this and I missed it.

Is the work finished yet?
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

smurfy74

We ate in the pirate room and we were 4 of only 8 people in there, it was quiet but that might have had a lot to do with RNRC being closed when we were there last month. The food was ok, and the fact there werent stupid queues like in studio 1 was welcome. We had a nice time and had great fun getting pics with the wheel  :D

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=9 ... =745295496

Kristof

Quote from: "jeakat24"I'm confused. In the POTC room are they trying to make it look as if you're aboard the Pearl, with the rigging above and the wheel etc? I

No you're not on board of the Black Pearl, you're in Davy Jones' Locker.

jeakat24

Oh see now it makes sense! Thanks!

I can't wait to actually see it in person, and be able to eat in the Studios with hardly a queue! I never ate in Backlot Express so i have nothing to compare the new design to, so hopefully I'll like it
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

Kristof

I got word from a friend over at WDS that Jack Sparrow has set sail to Blockbuster Café and is now doing sets there at 12:30, 13:30 & 14:30, each time for 45 minutes.  :)

MagicStar

Quote from: "Kristof"I got word from a friend over at WDS that Jack Sparrow has set sail to Blockbuster Café and is now doing sets there at 12:30, 13:30 & 14:30, each time for 45 minutes.  :)

great news! A really nice and needful addition to Blockbuster Cafe :mrgreen:
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]