Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete's Dragon

The guy right in the middle must thinks he's a real ladies man. The wry smile, laid back, legs slightly apart, shirt buttons undone......the only thing he's missing is a medallion (maybe he can get one from the PoTC props  :wink: )

dagobert

I have to admit that the Pirates room doesn't look too bad. Better than I've expected, but I don't know what I should think about the HSM room. I was never a big fan of the movies, so I don't care about this room.

We have never eaten there and I'm sure that we will never eat there, because we don't like the menu. We try to eat as often as possible in sit down restaurants, because of better value.

RnRCj

Wow... do they really need that many people? Makes you realise how many staff DLP must employ for the whole resort.

Is there any news of what's happened to the old props of Backlot Express? It'd be a shame to lose them.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "RnRCj"Wow... do they really need that many people? Makes you realise how many staff DLP must employ for the whole resort.

Is there any news of what's happened to the old props of Backlot Express? It'd be a shame to lose them.

Especially the speeder bike from Return of the Jedi!  Where did that go?
since 2001 (many before that)

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "RnRCj"Wow... do they really need that many people? Makes you realise how many staff DLP must employ for the whole resort.

Especially the speeder bike from Return of the Jedi!  Where did that go?

[-o< ebay, ebay, ebay...... [-o<

Well there's 18 staff in the photo. All depends on the shift pattern they work.
 2 shift a day=9 staff per shift, plus taking days off into account Im guessing 2 days durign the week.
That leaves 7 staff per shift during the week to serve, cook (reheat/slap in mircowave/whatever), clean tables and work the till.
 For a busy place like DLP it isnt really that many.

experiment627

The decorations of the restaurant (I wouldn't calling it "theming") are not too bad, I suppose. And an enviroment based on Disney's latest hits should be quite appealing. So, in general, I don't think that "Blockbuster Café" is a bad idea.

What I do complain about however is, that they transformed the Backlot Express into the Blockbuster Café. They took away one of the very few story-telling-environments of the Studios, that gave you the impression of being somewhere where movie magic was created, for a collection of HSM and Pirates decorations...

Pete's Dragon

I've been thinking about this whole revamp, and I'm torn between the old and the new.
Yeah it lookied nice beforehand, like you were in a prop warehouse, but maybe this idea seemed better on paper. I'm pretty sure a lot of guests prefer something more organised when they eat, not in an old storage shed.

But I do think they've missed a trick with the POTC and HSM room. They've made them look like you've been sucked into the film, rather than you've just walked onto the set of the film (if you follow what I mean). Theme half of the room, and leave the other half 'behind the camera' with lighting, boom mics, director's chair etc.
That way there would be something in common with the old style, but still have something fresh and new about it.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"But I do think they've missed a trick with the POTC and HSM room. They've made them look like you've been sucked into the film, rather than you've just walked onto the set of the film (if you follow what I mean). Theme half of the room, and leave the other half 'behind the camera' with lighting, boom mics, director's chair etc.
That way there would be something in common with the old style, but still have something fresh and new about it.

THAT is how they should have decorated the entrance room (the room that stretches from the doors back to the cashiers and the collection points). They should have put loads of generic film props in there (lighting rigs, cameras, clapper boards, directors chairs, etc) and have it as if the other two rooms (POTC and HSM) were like mini soundstages/film sets, rather than having 2 HSM rooms. It also would have made it easier for them to perhaps make changes in the future so that it is up-to-date with the latest blockbusters 8)

They could have even made each of the restaurant aspects a little different too here; they could have had wooden tables and chairs in the Pirates area, School cafeteria type chairs and tables in the HSM area, and directors/stars chairs in the filming area :P

Nicholas-c

i have to admit, Pirates wins over HSM. I was half excepting a jolly roger with "PIRATES! ARGH!" Written on the wall, a little more than that :P
August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Pete's Dragon

Well according to the programme guide for this week :

QuoteWa l t Di s n e y St u d i o s ® Pa r k
Disney Blockbuster Café ( replaces Backlot Express Restaurant )
 « High School Musical »
 « Pirates des Caraïbes »
are the themes in this newest, coolest place to eat.

Ooohhhh, the coolest eh?

emweaver

I much prefer the new themes the old 1 was horrid

Reiana

Shame on me, the last time I visited the "old" Backlt express, I didn't even recognize it was movie props, hanging on the wall.
 :roll:

DanielCraig

Only ate once at the old one, the only things i remember are the place being cold (it was july) and empty :) It had mickey pizza tho so i was sold  8)

All our wishes
Will
come
True

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"The guy right in the middle must thinks he's a real ladies man. The wry smile, laid back, legs slightly apart, shirt buttons undone......the only thing he's missing is a medallion (maybe he can get one from the PoTC props  :wink: )
:lol:  :lol:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

peep

It isn't a great make-over, obviously the Pirates section is better than the HSM section but I still preferred the old look with loads of props everywhere. It's all cheap and doesn't look like a lot of thought went behind it. A waste of time and money in my opinion.
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320