Disney Blockbuster Café

Started by Kristof, April 24, 2009, 11:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

If they went fully with High School Musical then it'd be even quieter than before.

There needs to be some kind of panic room for the sane people who wouldn't be seen dead in the HSM zone.

I'm still wondering if the restaurant will get its own background music from the films in question. The whole thing will be a bit hollow otherwise. As I said before in the topic, the aggressive Backlot loop isn't very nice in a restaurant anyway.

bigrossco

Wildcat's Café hmm there is a thought lol
BigRossCo

Upcoming Holidays

Past Holidays
2000 - Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge
5th - 12th October 2008 - Santa Fe | My Trip Report]http://bit.ly/cCy0r0[/url] | My Trip
Photos: //http://bit.ly/bFHtog
Feb. 2012 - Florida - Radisson Hotel Orlando-Lake Buena Vista

CentralPlazaPerson

or East High Cafeteria?

phantom247

Yes there will be a seperate sound system for both areas to enhance the theme with music played on a loop but I would not want to sit near where both rooms come close together as the experience may be diluted by both sound systems playing over each other.

experiment627

I certainly understand the appeal of an High School Musical based eatery to some visitors.

Still, regarding this make-over, I still shake my head and wonder:
WHY?

Anthony

Quote from: "phantom247"Yes there will be a seperate sound system for both areas to enhance the theme with music played on a loop but I would not want to sit near where both rooms come close together as the experience may be diluted by both sound systems playing over each other.
Ahh, well that's good news! Do you happen to know if the menu will also be made more... exciting?

Quote from: "experiment627"WHY?
Yeah. Pussinboots recently summed up a lot of the smaller changes to WDS perfectly, that it's like when you were told by your parents to tidy your room but you just end up moving things around to make it look like you're actually doing something... I'm sure he told it better.

phantom247

Unfortunatly as far as I can assatain there are no current plans to change the menu even though that should have been there first priority before the big re-hab.

-breeno-

Greetings from Santa Fe!

Dont know if this has been posted yet but on friday, the "Backlot" on the main entrance was replaced with "Blockbuster".  Although, after getting off RnRC today i noticed (wasn't near that area yesterday) that the writing has disappeared.

Will post pictures of it tomorrow when i return.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

pussinboots

Quote from: "Anthony"Yeah. Pussinboots recently summed up a lot of the smaller changes to WDS perfectly, that it's like when you were told by your parents to tidy your room but you just end up moving things around to make it look like you're actually doing something... I'm sure he told it better.

No no, you've improved on it actually.

But did I just read this correctly? There will be a non-stop High School Musical soundtrack? Goodness. There's just no avoiding those awful songs in this park.

You will continue to find me at Starbucks, listening to the coma-inducing elevator music they play there, haha.

Nicholas-c

From what i have seen today, It's not my cup of tea, Studio 1 catering it is then!

Got a few photos of it today (14/7/09) on my iPhone, Camera was sitting in Baggage :p
Remember. You saw them here first ;)

http://imgdash.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=184

August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

CafeFantasia

Pah. It really is just branding, isn't it. It doesn't transport you on to the set of High School Musical. It doesn't make you think you're in a real High School. It doesn't even make you think you're in a movie studio. It's more like being surrounded by a huge advert. It's like eating in a warehouse surrounded by adverts for High School Musical.

No escapism, no fantasy. Not the sort of thing you pay £500-800 to travel to France for, to see.

luke85

I wish they'd change the actual facade, it looks awful. Also is that new "signage" for real? I hope it's someone's photoshop attempt, as it reminds me so much of this...

Kristof

QuoteNo escapism, no fantasy. Not the sort of thing you pay £500-800 to travel to France for, to see.

If you would travel to DLP just to see [strike:2y320ykh]Backlot Express[/strike:2y320ykh] Blockbuster Café, that would be sad.  :lol:   Imagine flying to WDW just to ride Primeval Whirl...  :lol:  :lol:

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Kristof"
QuoteNo escapism, no fantasy. Not the sort of thing you pay £500-800 to travel to France for, to see.

If you would travel to DLP just to see [strike:8y97b4ao]Backlot Express[/strike:8y97b4ao] Blockbuster Café, that would be sad.  :lol:   Imagine flying to WDW just to ride Primeval Whirl...  :lol:  :lol:

But there is no doubt that places like California Grill, Napa Rose, 50's Prime Time, Ohana, Sci Fi Dine In are all as important and as much of a draw as any of the attractions. Where WDS is particularly poor, they need all the help they can get.
since 2001 (many before that)

Anthony

Thanks for the gallery Nicholas! How'd you get those up so quick from DLP? Enjoy the fireworks tonight (I'm jealous).

Quote from: "Nicholas-c"
Now as far as I know iPhones don't have a Photoshop app? Seriously, that looks like someone took a photo of Backlot Express, used the generic star shape tool and then wrote "BLOCKBUSTER" in Impact font across it. Just awful, cheap, bland, boring design for a Disney park. And very reminiscent of the video store as luke says. Though it actually looks exactly as I expected, it's still disappointing. The turquoise lower down the façade could do with repainting too. In fact, the whole thing needs a clean.

Putting that huge HSM3 poster in the serving area immediately seems like a big mistake, since I highly doubt the restaurant will be updated regularly for new releases as proposed. The HSM "themeing" as a whole generally seems rather... light. I mean, they've had a while to work on this now and all we've got are a few posters. It's almost like they dived in there, chucked out all the old props and then thought "crap, do we have enough HSM posters to fill this space?".

And it's still shocking they're letting people enjoy their €11.35 sandwich, crisps, drink and miniature desert in the empty, black-painted future POTC area without any notice that they're in the middle of works. I mean, wow, guest satisfaction really can't get much lower... can you imagine if they stripped out Market House Deli, painted it black and let people still eat in there? The only way is up. Though I suppose it won't be finished for the rumoured date of... tomorrow?