[Rumour] Grizzly River Run

Started by Kristof, April 20, 2009, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Can someone please explain to me how this is potentially outside the theme of Frontierland? Grizzly is set in an old mining HQ and surrounded by mining equipment. And Virginia City was the inspiration for much of Frontierland. And in terms of geography, Virginia City is about 15 miles from the environment depicted in Grizzly. All they have to do is get rid of the modern references of GRR.

But it would break theme somewhat, in that CCBBQ was built as a nice segway to Critter Country, whereas GRR would fit in better near the geysers and that part of the railroad. Interesting.

Either way, if we get an immersive non toon (or if toon SotS) attraction, I would be a VERY HAPPY camper.
since 2001 (many before that)

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Can someone please explain to me how this is potentially outside the theme of Frontierland? Grizzly is set in an old mining HQ and surrounded by mining equipment. And Virginia City was the inspiration for much of Frontierland. And in terms of geography, Virginia City is about 15 miles from the environment depicted in Grizzly. All they have to do is get rid of the modern references of GRR.

But it would break theme somewhat, in that CCBBQ was built as a nice segway to Critter Country, whereas GRR would fit in better near the geysers and that part of the railroad. Interesting.

Either way, if we get an immersive non toon (or if toon SotS) attraction, I would be a VERY HAPPY camper.

I think the main reasoning for it is the colour scheme of it; the greys of GRR are quite a contrast to the orange/brown of the rest of the area. I don't mind it though, I think it would be quite refreshing, especially how it's, in a way, separate to that zone as it were :wink:

luke85

This is an exciting prospect, although I'd be happy with Splash Mountain too. I think GRR would look amazing in our Frontierland and could potentially be a great addition to Thunder Mesa. I haven't been on the one in California, but I love raft rides, and I'm sure with Disney's attention to detail it would be an amazing addition to DLP.

experiment627

It is amazing to think of how many studies of possible attractions must be hidden in some drawers...

GRR might be less costly to build and to maintain than a Splash Mountain. But would it be as popular?
In the end, it's up to Euro Disney management to take their pick for the next major expansion phase. GRR could be one of them, or maybe it's already tossed away... (Why am I suddenly thinking of the Simpson Movie when President Schwarzenegger had to make a choice between 5 "unspeakable" options?  :wink: )

Just to give me some sort of orientation, according to this plan, which way would the bear's head be facing?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "experiment627"Just to give me some sort of orientation, according to this plan, which way would the bear's head be facing?

If they make it a Grizzly Peak that is identical, the bear would be facing north towards Indy (ish). However the could sculpt it to look in any direction.

pussinboots

Well, first of all; very interesting!

Secondly, I think my avatar will give away my personal preference. Splash to me is the essence of a Disney ride — Grizzly River Run is but a commendable execution of a Six Flags ride. There is a reason why Splash Mountain was built in Disneyland in the late 1980s and Grizzly River Run managed to stay within the early 2000s Disney's California Adventure budget — although it's by no means a bad ride, of course, for all that rockwork alone.

But is this really what Frontierland needs? It already has Big Thunder, which, like Grizzly River Run, is a big physical "thrill*" ride set on a large mountain structure. Does it really need two? The way I see it, Splash would really fill a gap in the park's roster by providing a water ride and only the third high-profile dark ride. It's also immensely repeatable and extremely family-friendly. Grizzly on the other hand would merely provide another thrill.

*Relatively speaking, compared to a dark ride or the city bus.

davewasbaloo

Agreed PnB, Grizzly is fun, but if warm and there is time. Splash is a real headline must do every visit attraction.

smurfy74

I fear this is a really old plan as I have just noticed the plan refers to the pet zoo which is where woodys round up is, I'm not holding out a lot of hope , but part if me thinks it's been leaked to gauge a response amongst the fan community.

CafeFantasia

If you think about it, Disney really only have two existing major rides suitable for this location in Frontierland: Grizzly River Run and Splash Mountain.

Grizzly River Run would be pretty good, but looking at that plan, it seems to be quite distant and removed from Frontierland. Would anyone be able to see the final drop in that location? It seems to be hidden behind the berm.

Grizzly River Run looks nice, but it's quite generic and not particuarly Disney. It seems quite forgettable to me. Plus, rapids rides can't be controlled in the same way as a log flume. Rapids Rides can potentially get you MUCH wetter. And then there's the problem of direction. You can spend a large portion of the ride facing backwards, which makes it easy to miss props and story elements you're supposed to be looking at.

I think Splash Mountain would be a much better option. You could question the relevance of the Song of the South theme in 2009. But are people still queueing up for Splash Mountain in Disneyland and Walt Disney World? Yep. Every time I've been to WDW, Splash Mountain has always had the longest queues at the Magic Kingdom. It's very popular. People love it.

Splash Mountain is what Disneyland is all about. It has everything: great immersive themeing, an engaging storyline, animatronic characters, catchy music, colourful sets, thrills, outdoor sections, indoor dark ride sections and lots of surprises. It's a very long, very fun, satisfying ride, that the whole family can enjoy together.

Now that Disneyland Park (Paris) is the 4th most popular theme park IN THE WORLD, they really ought to re-invest in it, and give the park an attraction that will be a guaranteed hit.

Kristof

Quote from: "smurfy74"I fear this is a really old plan as I have just noticed the plan refers to the pet zoo which is where woodys round up is, I'm not holding out a lot of hope , but part if me thinks it's been leaked to gauge a response amongst the fan community.

Again, this is probably an original plan by WDI.  The roof over the stage was added by EDLI and Woody's Round Up is not designed by WDI or EDLI, but by Entertainment.  Glendale isn't even aware of Woody's Roundup Village.

Willow

Last time I checked Log Flume's are more thrilling than River Rapids (which are basically what both Splash and Grizzly are).

Quote from: "pussinboots"But is this really what Frontierland needs? It already has Big Thunder, which, like Grizzly River Run, is a big physical "thrill*" ride set on a large mountain structure.
Is Splash not a physical "thrill ride" in a Mountain?

15MagicalYears

I agree, I love Splash Mountain and how it doubles as a darkride.

pussinboots

Quote from: "Alan"If you think about it, Disney really only have two existing major rides suitable for this location in Frontierland: Grizzly River Run and Splash Mountain.

Grizzly River Run would be pretty good, but looking at that plan, it seems to be quite distant and removed from Frontierland. Would anyone be able to see the final drop in that location? It seems to be hidden behind the berm.

Grizzly River Run looks nice, but it's quite generic and not particuarly Disney. It seems quite forgettable to me. Plus, rapids rides can't be controlled in the same way as a log flume. Rapids Rides can potentially get you MUCH wetter. And then there's the problem of direction. You can spend a large portion of the ride facing backwards, which makes it easy to miss props and story elements you're supposed to be looking at.

I think Splash Mountain would be a much better option. You could question the relevance of the Song of the South theme in 2009. But are people still queueing up for Splash Mountain in Disneyland and Walt Disney World? Yep. Every time I've been to WDW, Splash Mountain has always had the longest queues at the Magic Kingdom. It's very popular. People love it.

Splash Mountain is what Disneyland is all about. It has everything: great immersive themeing, an engaging storyline, animatronic characters, catchy music, colourful sets, thrills, outdoor sections, indoor dark ride sections and lots of surprises. It's a very long, very fun, satisfying ride, that the whole family can enjoy together.

Now that Disneyland Park (Paris) is the 4th most popular theme park IN THE WORLD, they really ought to re-invest in it, and give the park an attraction that will be a guaranteed hit.

I agree. I don't have anything to add.

Quote from: "Willow"Last time I checked Log Flume's are more thrilling than River Rapids (which are basically what both Splash and Grizzly are).

Quote from: "pussinboots"But is this really what Frontierland needs? It already has Big Thunder, which, like Grizzly River Run, is a big physical "thrill*" ride set on a large mountain structure.
Is Splash not a physical "thrill ride" in a Mountain?

I didn't say one was more thrilling than the other; I was saying Grizzly is basically a Big Thunder Mountain with water instead of rails, while Splash is so much more than that.

Timbo

I tend to agree with everyone on this,Splash is a fantastic attraction and immensely popular with all ages,a perfect Disney original ride !! And you won,t get as wet !! GRR would fit the theming of a Toons free land better ,I really like the fact that part of the Park is free of characters and creates a totally immersive atmosphere of the Wild West ,but how would you run a ride like this in the winter,who wants to get wet when it is -5 or below!!I think they would need to add more of a story to it to make it interesting !

Masamune

My problem with this is that it sounds like you would get completely soaked on this ride. :( Considering the unpredictable weather, I personally wouldn't want to risk getting soaked at DLRP. Maybe in the Summer it would be OK, but in any other season I'd be too paranoid about a cold wind picking up or the sun going in.