[Rumour] Grizzly River Run

Started by Kristof, April 20, 2009, 01:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

An interesting plan was posted by loaloa on Disney Central Plaza.  The plan comes from a firm that collaborates with WDI and shows the Grizzly River Run attraction from DCA located behind Frontierland Depot, where Splash Mountain was originally going to be located.

The plan is a study and by far a confirmation of the Grizzly River Run attraction coming to Paris any time soon.

Here's the Wikipedia description for those who don't know the DCA attraction:

QuoteGrizzly River Run is a river rafting ride at Disney's California Adventure Park at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California. It is similar to Kali River Rapids in Disney's Animal Kingdom and the Shipwreck Rapids ride in SeaWorld. The attraction's name comes from Grizzly Peak, the bear shaped mountain that the rapids flow around. It was built by Intamin AG.

The raft trip around Grizzly Peak begins with the rafts being lifted up a wooden conveyor that runs under leaking pipes that spray water on the riders. Upon reaching the top of the conveyor, the rafts are dropped into the water to descend the peak, passing through a cave and bumping against a log jam. The climax of the ride drops the rafts down into a geyser field. The final drop has a unique element in that the rafts are spun as they begin their descent.

giorgio1712

Wow thats really interesting!

Just looked at a video on youtube and I have to say I prefer it to Splash Mountain. The whole ride just looks more authentic and it looks much more exciting throughout, with all the bouncing around. Ive always preferred water rides in those circular boats compared to the logs.

Anyway if i had to choose a water ride, which I think the park depserately needs, then I think this looks far better than Splash Mountain.

lil-shawn

its a cool idea but i think another themening would fit better,
i don´t know if the actually theme of GRR will fit that good.

what about the Lewis and Clark River Expedition, an earlier incarnation of
the Western River Expedition. Originally planed for Disney´s America Park!
they still can call it wetern river expedition, i think it would fit better
than the grizzly mountain...

davewasbaloo

Hmmm, interesting idea, and cheaper than Splash. As much as I enjoy Grizzly and KAli though, they are not a patch on Splash, and also I have come off of those two soaked before but Splash has never been too bad. Given Paris' climate, I would be surprised.

But Grizzly is my fav raft ride on the planet, so in the summer this could be awesome. LAst time I rode Grizzly (feb 08), I managed to stay dry all the way around, and while my boat was in the queue to get back into the unload point, the geyser erupted me and soaked me to where I had to change my clothes - lol. Now, it the geyser had not erupted, I might have stayed dry enough. But I can only see a raft ride being fun may 2-3 months out of the year, unless they inflate the boats to keep you dry (though the spinning drop on GRR is what makes it sooooo cool).

Thanks for sharing
since 2001 (many before that)

RnRCj

Personally I'm not a fan rapids-type rides. Splash Mountain would be a thousand times better for me. :)

giorgio1712

To me Splash Mountain seems boring in comparison. I guess I am biased as I enjoy more exciting attractions however on youtube the River Run looks far superior in terms of excitement and the surroundings of the "river".

Willow

I like rapids, they are a solid family attraction whereas a log flume can alienate younger children.
I'd rather see a different theme than Grizzly River Run, something more frontierland-y.

The park needs some sort of water attraction, I'd rather see some sort of Dark Ride/Watercoaster but a rapids is just as good.

mehdi5

I prefer this to Splash Mountain, it just seems more well interesting to me, and it would have a bigger capacity than Splash Mountain could ever have.

smurfy74

And can I add - no TOONS!!  :D/  :D/

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "smurfy74"And can I add - no TOONS!!  :D/  :D/

:lol:  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>

Although folks, pleasde be advised the Disney raft rides do have drops that in some ways can be a little scarier than Splash's. Also, if this happens, I hope they put AA's in, something that is strangely lacking from Grizzly and Kali.

Willow

Is that an open-air theatre I spot on the drawing?
Looks like its where the current theatre is now.

RnRCj

I actually find rapids-type rides very irritating. It's hard to admire any theming when you're constantly spinning around and looking out for the next soaking. Splash Mountain is definitely better I think... it's got loads of AA's, a great little dark ride section, a catchy theme tune, and would probably fit better in Cottonwood Creek.

I'm hoping for a WRE version of Splash though. [-o< It'd be the best thing Disney have built in a while!

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "Willow"Is that an open-air theatre I spot on the drawing?

Well spotted, this could be quite old. The Chapperrelle (sp?) Theatre was open air when it hosted the Pocahantas show about 12 years ago.  Then they enclosed it.

I noticed Kristof put a pic of GRR online, you can see the spinning drop there, quite thrilling.

I like both. I think a rapids is a nice to have, but Splash is an awesome e-ticket experience. I know my son would go on Splash, but hates Grizzly. lol

Kristof

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "Willow"Is that an open-air theatre I spot on the drawing?

Well spotted, this could be quite old. The Chapperrelle (sp?) Theatre was open air when it hosted the Pocahantas show about 12 years ago.  Then they enclosed it.

The plan they used was probably the original one.  The roof over the stage was added by EDLI, not WDI in Glendale which can explain why it's not up-to-date.

The Butlin Boy

Wow, what an interesting, unexpected and... possibly brilliant idea :)

I know there are some major boundaries between this and Splash Mountain; the main being no dark ride element and the likelihood that you will get a lot wetter on this (although I'm pretty sure that there are systems that can control this), but it could have major benefits too. For example, it is a fantastic looking ride with a high capacity that is probably a lot cheaper and smaller to build than Splash, whilst also suiting the European thrill audience. Fantastic :)

I think one of the main problems here is the theme which may appear out of place in Frontierland. But at the end of the day, the likelihood is that they'll make changes so that it does; but I think it would anyway :wink:

Bring it on I say :mrgreen:

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "smurfy74"And can I add - no TOONS!!  :D/  :D/

:lol:  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>  =D>

Haven't you heard, it's going to themed to Woody from Toy Story :P  :roll: