Lex's trip report - 15th-18th March 2009

Started by Agent Lex, March 19, 2009, 10:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elwell2009

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"BTW; The fireworks were performed to the music from Fantasmic: a famous Disney show from both of the American parks :wink:

so st davids and st patricks both had fantasmic for the fireworks ?

Aveen2008

great report of the first day Lex, I can't wait to see and read more!!:)
Luv Aveen xoxo

SophieD

Nice start to the trip report!! Cannot wait to read the rest!  :D
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Elwell2009"
Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"BTW; The fireworks were performed to the music from Fantasmic: a famous Disney show from both of the American parks :wink:

Ooops! No sorry, I thought that was St David's Day, St Patricks was done to some Irish/Celtic music...my bad :oops:

DLP-Photos.com

Great trip report with some good descriptions and some magical photos  =D>

I cannot wait to see and read some more  :D/
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

Elwell2009

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"
Quote from: "Elwell2009"

Ooops! No sorry, I thought that was St David's Day, St Patricks was done to some Irish/Celtic music...my bad :oops:

Thats ok, will wait for a video soon  :D

Agent Lex

Lex's trip report :D/
Day 2 - March 16th 2009

We decided to wake up nice and early, for our early breakfast. But today we were going to have breakfast in the park, so we had a little extra lay-in time over the next two days! After our wake-up call, getting ready for the day, and walking around the lake...

...we made our way to the park, for breakfast at Plaza Gardens restaurant. It was nice to have breakfast outside of the hotel, although it wasn't any more than the usual croissant/cereals buffet you see anywhere else. We were first ones into the restaurant for breakfast though, and if I hadn't been so hungry I would have gotten pictures of the lovely empty restaurant. Our plan for the day was to go to the Studios, but it was still early after breakfast so we took a walk around. First we went upstairs in the castle, and saw the Sleeping Beauty stained glass and tapestries.

Ooh, sparkly!

We then took a short walk around Fantasyland, just taking in the atmosphere. We had planned to get through all of these attractions tomorrow morning, so there wasn't a rush to do everything. We did get to see the It's a Small World clock do its hourly chimes though. And early, too...

But finally, we made our way to...

The Studios!

And of course, we decided to get the big one done first, along with everyone else. Even though we got to the Studios long before 10, we still ran into quite a line for "Crush's Queue-ster". Still, I have to say it's well worth getting there early for this attraction - once the line's moving, they pump people through quite quickly so you're not in the queue for as long as you would be later in the day.

After Crush, we took a look at the show times for the rest of the day, and we made a plan. The first Moteurs... Action show wasn't for a good while, so we thought we'd quickly stop off at the tram tour.

By the time we were there, the tram tour was on its new route, basically cutting out the Pearl Harbour set and costume department. So they decided to take us around Catastrophe Canyon...

...twice...

Then around the rest of the tour. Strangely, Jeremy Irons still said we were passing the Pearl Harbour set, even though it wasn't there. Guess they couldn't cut that part of the video out, huh. Then after the tram tour, it was time to walk past Armageddon, and make our way to queue for Moteurs... Action!

I have to say, this being the first time I've seen this show, it was amazing! Absolutely spectacular, and a nice insight into how some of the effects are done. Though I do think they spent a lot more time talking than they probably needed to, it felt a bit too long between actual action sequences. Still, the amount of planning that has to go into a show like this must be huge, so =D> to the folks that put this together.

We then rushed over to Animagique, for the showing that was happening not long after we got out of the stunt show.

I have to say, it was good, though I think I expected a little more from what I'd seen/heard. And my girlfriend got caught trying to videotape it :mrgreen: But we still had fun watching Donald's adventure, even if the moral seems to be that doing bad stuff is okay :P

Since it was a lovely day outside (and it would be for the whole trip!) we took a trip on Genie's flying carpets. Unfortunately, we were stuck in the back row, so all we had was the tilt button :( We had our little bit of childish fun on the magic carpet though.

After that, we decided to go back to Studio 1, to grab some lunch at the counter service restaurant there. I almost wish we hadn't, since the food was once again standard Disney counter service rubbish, though the Tower burger is a slightly original idea. The best thing to come from it, though, was the Mickey head chocolate brioche, which was tasty. And I managed to grab my only good photo in the darkness of Studio 1!

Then we went shopping both in Studio 1 and the Studios shop. We even saw Mickey in the Front Lot, though we didn't go up to get our picture with him - we knew we'd get that tomorrow.

(random child blurred out, for obvious reasons)

After lunch and shopping, it was still quite a while until the next Cinémagique show, so we thought we'd get the Art of Disney Animation done. Again, the headphones are annoying, they just don't sit on my ears right, but it was still fun. Especially the exhibit at the preshow, and the stuff in the postshow. Including, of course, that movie wall...

And these awesome (and expensive) pictures

I want one! Either one will do! :cry:

It was finally time to line up for Cinémagique. After passing the Toon Train...

...we lined up. We were pretty near the front of the line, as the park was quite quiet on our visit, being in March. Once we got in, we sat down to watch the show, one of the only attractions I hadn't read all about so I wouldn't be spoiled by it. I'm very glad that I didn't as the show is fantastic! Even though I thought I knew the general idea of the show, it managed to surprise me more than once with the effects... and I'll leave it at that, so that nobody else ends up reading this before they go on. But it was really great, and certainly something I'll do again next time I go to DLRP.

As we came out of Cinémagique, time was once again on our side as we managed to walk into the preshow of Stitch Live, in English. This is another great show, and really well done. Stitch really interacts well with all the guests! He had to convince Lilo he was zat the zoo, by making the kids make pig and cow noises. Then he took a picture of the best pig and showed it to all of us! Then he found someone who was wanted for escaping space prison, and fell in love with a young lady... who was single! Stitch was her boyfriend for all of a few minutes, until he accidentally blew her planet up :( Then as usual, he had to escape the ship since Captain Gantu was after him. Very amusing show, another must-see :)

It was near the end of the day now, but we did manage to squeeze two more attractions in. First we went on Armageddon, with the extremely long preshow that felt longer than the actual show itself! When we finally got into the show room, we got a bad spot :( We could see the fireball airlock, but we couldn't see the one that crashes in at all. Still quite entertaining though, but I think Armageddon's a bit dated and it does need a change.

Finally, we went to do Rock n Roller Coaster, since it was right there waiting. After Space Mountain, my girlfriend definitely did not want to go on this, but it was only a 5 minute queue so I managed to pretty much walk straight on the ride. It was an absolutely awesome ride, and I loved it completely. The effects were just right, and that foggy layer of smoke was even there.

So now it was time to leave the Studios, and get to our dinner reservation... at Hunter's Grill, at Sequoia Lodge. This is a really nice buffet, and saving with our Half Board vouchers was good. Unlike the last night, we managed to get our drinks quickly, and I went up and had several platefuls of food :D It was all delicious, and as with every restaurant we went to the atmosphere was wonderful.

After such a tiring day, it was time to sleep again. Extra early morning tomrrow - booked into breakfast at 7am!

PS: I know, I didn't manage to get on this ride:

But trust me, I rode it in the end... you'll see ;)

Coming up tomorrow - day 3, St Patrick's Day!

The Butlin Boy

Fantastic report Lex, I'm glad you enjoyed your first trip to the Studios. Your photos and stories are great, and I'm looking forward to the rest :)

DLP-Photos.com

Great trip report and good pictures there Lex! :D

I'm happy that you enjoyed the studios and I'm looking forward to Paddy's  :D/
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

CentralPlazaPerson

Just back from the magic and on day 2 buzz had the curtain pull around him but i managed to get a pic behind the curtain and he was back to his usual self.
Today the curtain was removed.

RnRCj

Cool report! Going through Catastrophe Canyon twice must've been weird... Did they announce that they would be going through again, or did you just randomly start heading back through without any warning? :lol:

Quote from: "Agent Lex"Finally, we went to do Rock n Roller Coaster, since it was right there waiting. After Space Mountain, my girlfriend definitely did not want to go on this, but it was only a 5 minute queue so I managed to pretty much walk straight on the ride. It was an absolutely awesome ride, and I loved it completely. The effects were just right, and that foggy layer of smoke was even there.
You lucky person! Good to hear the smoke is actually working. I'm sure they always turn it off whenever I go. :roll:

Agent Lex

Sorry I've been lax here. Life caught up with me during the week, so I wasn't able to take time out to write up the last 2 days. I'll get onto day 3 tonight.

RnRCj, I added that smoke comment just for you. Thought you might notice it ;)

Javey74

Brilliant report so far Agent Lex..  =D>  =D>  =D>

Pleased to see the 'A' of Annette's Diner is working again..  :mrgreen:  Funnily enough, come to think of it, it took a while to get our drinks in there aswell..  :)

Well it certainly looks like you got stuck into the attractions over the first two instalments..  :wink:

Really looking forward to the next instalment..  :D/  :D/  :D/

Thanks again for sharing Agent Lex..  :wink:  :D

pondie

Quote from: "Elwell2009"What were the fireworks performed to ? :D

the irish music was actually the riverdance music

never2old

Great report so far!!

I didn't know you could have breakfast in the park with the EMH, is it only from 8am or can you go before?

Your pictures are great - and the park looks so beautiful with the sun and blue skies!