Toon Disney to become Disney XD in 2009

Started by AmericanMouse, August 20, 2008, 10:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanMouse

Toon Disney, which tried to compete with Viacom's Nickelodeon and TimeWarner's Cartoon Network, will get a new name and target audience in February of 2009 in the good old US of A.

The rebranded channel, to be called Disney XD, will go for the male tweens between 6 and 14 and offer male-skewed programming, much in the same way tween girls are targeted with High School Musical, Camp Rock and Hannah Montana at Disney Channel.  Other Toon Disney networks worldwide wil be rebranded, if needed, on a case-by-case basis.

MinniesBestPal

What does the XD stand for?

Captain Pan

I'm not sure if they can rebrand the UK version of Disney's Toon Studio as its now called Cinemagique!

The XD I would think comes from the Overall Disney website itself and it is a section there on the site which offers more to the viewer/fan who has XD Classed membership! But then... I might be incorrect and Am waiting for a mod to correct or confirm my suspicions!

Owain

Disney XD is a farley new site for disney which lets you watch (programes from disney and maybe movies?, listen to disney music and play games and more..)

BUT, thats for the USA version, because disney channel is free there.

Over here we pay for disneychannel and aparantly they have no plans on making it free in the uk. So there will be no free programmes to watch on disney xd for uk as it would not be fair on the people paying for disney channel.

Also dont try to get onto abc1 player to watch, lost, desperate housewives etc. As yes in american you can watch for free. When you get on the website it says not available in your country. (Missed lost on sky 1, one night and tried to watch it on there. No Chance!). :lol:

Ofcourse our Disney XD is ok too, you can watch clips of programmes/movies, play games and listen to clips of music.

Anthony

Jetix Europe is also rebranding this year, starting in France:

QuotePARIS/LONDON: Beginning April 1, Jetix France will be rebranded as Disney XD, the country's first boy-focused offering for the 6-to-14 set.

The move comes following the announcement that The Walt Disney Company is taking 100-percent ownership of Jetix Europe. Disney XD is Disney's newest brand in the U.S., having taken over the slot occupied by Toon Disney this week. The service delivers live-action and animated programming with a specific focus on boys and their quest for discovery, accomplishment, sports, adventure, music and humor. In France, it will debut on April 1 on TV and online, delivering Disney fare as well as local acquisitions. Other Jetix branded services in the region are expected to follow suit within the year.

The other Disney-branded services available in France are Playhouse Disney, Disney Channel, Disney Channel+1, Disney Cinemagic, Disney Cinemagic+1 and Disney Cinemagic HD.
http://worldscreen.com/articles/display/19766

Adam

From that, in the UK, I assume that Jetix will be rebranded as Disney XD, solving the issue of having no Toon Disney to rebranded to Disney XD. It makes sense to rebrand Jetix with the Disney brand.

As they haven't announced anything about the UK yet, I assume they are planning a summer/autumn rebrand. Possibly August bank holiday or when schools return at the start of September.

Adam

Digital Spy have posted this: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadcastin ... ey-xd.html

It doesn't reveal anything new though.

Adam

It has been announced that Disney XD UK will arrive in the Autumn, with a number of articles on the launch in the major TV and marketing websites:
Digital Spy, Telegraph, Marketing Week, Brand Republic, Broadcast Now, Broadband TV News, C21Media, TBI Vision and Marketing Magazine

SophieD

that could explain quite a lot actually as American Dragon: Jake Long, which was broadcasted on Disney channel is now to be shown on Jetix UK.

Does this mean that new shows are to be produced or does it mean that shows like The Replacements and Phineas and Ferb will move to the new channel??
Sophie \":nemo:\"
xxxxx
follow me on Twitter!!

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.- Walt Disney

Anthony

Disney XD launches 31st August (well, replaces Jetix?).

AmericanMouse

I just wanted to bump to give you the "Readers' Digest Condensed Edition" of the history of the channels.

The stations were originally under the banner of "FOX KIDS" while Hiram Saban was part owner after they had purchased Family Channel from Pat Robertson of The 700 Club religious group.  A few years later, Disney bought out Saban and NewsCorp, Fox Kids' co-owners on all properties including then-Fox Family.  The cable channel was repurposed as ABC Family, and a couple years later, FOX KIDS was rebranded as JETIX.  Now, as we all know, they're called Disney XD.

Adam

From Digital Spy:

QuoteDisney XD to launch in HD on Sky
Friday, October 15 2010, 11:06 BST
By Andrew Laughlin, Technology Reporter

The Walt Disney Company has today announced that children's channel Disney XD will launch in high definition on Sky next week.

A HD simulcast of Disney XD will officially become available to all Sky+ HD subscribers throughout the UK and Republic of Ireland on October 18.

The channel will broadcast HD versions of Disney XD's popular live action shows and animated programmes, such as Phineas And Ferb, I'm in the Band, Kick Buttowski and Zeke and Luther.

"The arrival of Disney XD in HD is another great example of The Walt Disney Company's commitment to bringing kids and families the best possible entertainment experiences through the most compelling mediums," said Boel Ferguson, vice president and general manager of Disney Channels UK & Ireland.

"Disney XD is a unique proposition designed to excite and engage a boy-focused, girl-inclusive audience and shows like Phineas And Ferb, I'm in the Band and Kick Buttowski have been hugely popular with our viewers. Disney XD's technology-savvy audience is perfectly aligned with the HD proposition, and we can't wait to bring all of their favourite shows to them in crystal clear high definition."

Rob Webster, director of Sky's commercial group, added: "We're delighted to add Disney XD HD to our unrivalled HD offering which now reaches more than three million HD subscribers.

"We are committed to continue to work with high-quality content partners to ensure we carry on delivering the very best HD service on the market."

Disney XD, which is targeted at boys aged six to 14, launched in August last year to replace the previous Jetix offering.

Since its launch, the channel has seen a 50% year-on-year increase in viewers, with one in five boys within the target group now watching every week.

sebassah

Although im not really keen on the DIsney XD programming is the results after just a year are great! Well done!